12V Trigger for Bryston Gear

BrysTony

12V Trigger for Bryston Gear
« on: 29 Sep 2010, 05:26 pm »
I have always turned all my components on individually and have never used the 12V trigger capability.  I have a BP-26/MPS-2, BDA-1 and two 7B SST2.  My non-Bryston CD player also has a 12V input.  It looks like the MPS2 should be used to initiate the power up/down but there are options.  What is the best way to hook up the 12V to provide the proper sequence?  Or should I continue to do it manually?
Tony

mauvedipstick15

Re: 12V Trigger for Bryston Gear
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2010, 08:07 pm »
I have the exact same set up plus bryston cdp 1 and was wondering the same.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 30 Sep 2010, 01:04 am »
My SP1.7 triggers on the 14BSST which triggers on the 6BSST.  I did have the BCD-1 (and now have the BDA-1) but have never used it as I don't necessarily use just one source and I have a Harmony remote anyway for the activities with the sources. Usually for non-Bryston equipment you are going to have a jack vs. bare wires.  I've used non-Bryston amps in the past and simply got the connector (Radio Shack parts express) and it went from the bare wire of the SP1.7 to the jack.  It's really simple to do (I probably still have what I built laying around).  If I used the same source almost all the time (i.e. CD player), then I might include that in the chain but I might be using a Squeezebox Touch with the DAC or an Oppo BDP-83, or an outboard HD TV tuner with no DAC, etc.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 30 Sep 2010, 01:07 am »
I have always turned all my components on individually and have never used the 12V trigger capability.  I have a BP-26/MPS-2, BDA-1 and two 7B SST2.  My non-Bryston CD player also has a 12V input.  It looks like the MPS2 should be used to initiate the power up/down but there are options.  What is the best way to hook up the 12V to provide the proper sequence?  Or should I continue to do it manually?
Tony

Tony - the power supply manual also has instructions - http://www.bryston.com/BrystonSite05/pdfs/MPS2_MANUAL.pdf

BrysTony

« Reply #4 on: 30 Sep 2010, 02:02 am »
Phil,
Thanks for the input.  I think I will use the MPS-2 switch to trigger one 7B SST2 and then it can trigger the other 7B SST2.  The BDA-1 and CDP can be powered up by their remotes.  I'll try that for a while and can always modify.
Tony

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 30 Sep 2010, 02:06 am »
Tony - that's what I would do.  If you end up with a universal remote (assuming you don't have one already) you can power everything on and off easily.  I just picked up a Harmony 700 at Costco for the secondary basement system that will do 6 devices for $97.99.

Tony1

« Reply #6 on: 30 Sep 2010, 03:15 am »
Phil,

How do you shut off the Bryston system? Individually - amp first then SP1.7?

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 30 Sep 2010, 03:26 am »
The trigger goes out of the SP1.7 into the 14BSST and that trigger goes to the 6BSST.  I use a Harmony remote to select the source so when the SP1.7 gets turned out it goes on first and then the 14BSST and then the 6BSST.  When I hit off on the remote, it turns off the SP1.7 and then the amps get triggered.

BrysTony

« Reply #8 on: 30 Sep 2010, 11:27 am »
Phil,

How do you shut off the Bryston system? Individually - amp first then SP1.7?

I know that some people say that the amps should be powered on last and off first.  The 12V trigger will not accommodate that.  Are there any issues with the amps being turned off last?

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 30 Sep 2010, 11:02 pm »
I know that some people say that the amps should be powered on last and off first.  The 12V trigger will not accommodate that.  Are there any issues with the amps being turned off last?

I've never had an issue.  I always lower the volume all the way.  Even on the secondary bedroom and basement systems where I have receivers I turn down the volume so it is at a very low level before powering off.

95Dyna

« Reply #10 on: 1 Oct 2010, 01:35 pm »
I've never had an issue.  I always lower the volume all the way.  Even on the secondary bedroom and basement systems where I have receivers I turn down the volume so it is at a very low level before powering off.

I agree with Phil.  If you get in the habit of turning the volume all the way down it doesn't matter what sequence you power up or down.  After all the purpose of considering a sequence is to avoid an unexpected signal or surge from getting to your speakers.  FWIW I turn everything on manually as I enjoy the tactile interface with my system and don't want additional cable clutter..  This is another "to each his own" aspect of audio i.e. no right or wrong just personal preference (as long as the volume is turned down).

BrystPlug

« Reply #11 on: 4 Oct 2015, 12:23 pm »
Waking up a really old thread...

On the SP3, there's 1/8 jack output for trigger.. but behind the 28B, there's the small module... How do we connect them?!?

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 4 Oct 2015, 04:54 pm »

On the SP3, there's 1/8 jack output for trigger.. but behind the 28B, there's the small module... How do we connect them?!?

Many moons ago I had equipment with minijacks and Bryston amps and just bought a connector at Radio Shack and used some alarm wire.  Speaker wire works (although to get it into the connectors on the amp you probably can't use a thick gauge - gauge really isn't a big deal as it is just to get the low voltage signal).

Phil A

« Reply #13 on: 4 Oct 2015, 04:56 pm »

Here's what the jack looks like - http://www.parts-express.com/35mm-mono-metal-mini-plug--090-315

One wire gets connector to the tip and one to the connector body (they have pdf files on the Parts Express site).

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #14 on: 5 Oct 2015, 05:04 am »
The gauge of the wire doesn't matter as long as it's small enough (22-18 gauge I believe).

If you're feeling lazy or in a hurry, you can buy a mono 3.5mm cable with at least one male end. Cut one side off and strip the wire. That'll give you one side with a 3.5mm plug and the other as bare wire.

Don't forget to set the 12 volt switch in the back from "local" to "external".

Rod_S

« Reply #15 on: 5 Oct 2015, 12:08 pm »
Is there a device on the market that can act as a master device where you can set delays?

Right now via my Harmony remote I have a slight delay between when the signal gets sent to my 2nd 28B from my 1st 28B to avoid it tripping it's breaker. My Lexicon MC-12 has 3 triggers, a power on trigger which I have connected to my 6B and that fires immendiately when the Lex is turned on and it has 2 programmable triggers which I have connected to my 28B's, both on delays. Ocassionally the breaker trips on the 2nd 28 and I have to go over and flip the breaker back to the on position. I'm going to increase the delay some more, hopefully that will solve the problem once and for all.

My issue is going to be once I add 3 7B's to the system. I can't have all of these turining on at the same time (i.e. daisy chaining from either of my 28's or from each other, one 7 would be fed from the power on trigger of the Lex as these amps will be replacing the 6B) as it will most likey trip the breaker at the wall panel as the 7's don't have breakers of their own like the 28's.

Any suggestions?

Phil A

« Reply #16 on: 5 Oct 2015, 02:22 pm »

Phil A

« Reply #17 on: 5 Oct 2015, 02:24 pm »

Rod_S

« Reply #19 on: 5 Oct 2015, 05:31 pm »
Thanks, I see mention of APC units there as well as the Furman. These would technically do the job but I would prefer to keep my gear plugged inot my big Furman's to ensure there is a lots of juice available for the amps when needed. Technically all I really need is a unit that can accept just the 12v trigger cables and apply delays. I suspect no such unit exists.