Is using only one channel of stereo amp OK?

emilostan

« on: 1 Mar 2004, 04:41 pm »
I bought a used amp (stereo not mono but I think it only has one power supply).  Can I safely use just one channel of it for the center channel and not use the other channel (for now).  Will this cause stress on the amp?

Marbles

Re: Is using only one channel of stereo amp OK?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2004, 04:44 pm »
Quote from: emilostan
I bought a used amp (stereo not mono but I think it only has one power supply).  Can I safely use just one channel of it for the center channel and not use the other channel (for now).  Will this cause stress on the amp?

You can with no problem.  Keep in mind you can also send it to Odyssey and for a small fee have both channels bridged to form a very powerful and nicer sounding mono amp for that center channel.

emilostan

« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2004, 04:52 pm »
Marbles - Thanks, I thought about the conversion but wanted to hold off for now.  I listen to more two channel than 5 channel and want to keep my options open for 6 or 7 channel. It is good to know that I will be safe

Carlman

« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2004, 06:47 pm »
Could you effectively make it a bridged mono by first doing a Y connector to the amp's inputs and then run + from left and the - from the right?  Or is it not setup to be run like that?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2004, 02:33 am »
AVA makes a bridger designed to do just that.  I have an X-over that is also capable of doing it.