Audio-GD and ESS Sabre 9018

johsti

Audio-GD and ESS Sabre 9018
« on: 28 Sep 2010, 06:45 pm »
Not sure if this has been discussed around here, but I just noticed that the Audio-GD website has a couple of new DAC's with the ESS Sabre 9018 dac chip.  I wonder how these will compare to their other offerings with the BB 1704 multi bit chips?  I realize the dac chip is only as good as the output stage, power supply, etc., but it seems that the 1704 was one of the major selling points of the Audio-gd dacs and separated it from other sigma delta dacs in their price range.

Here is a link to the NFB-1 Dac
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/NFB-1/NFB1EN.htm

NFB-7
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/NFB7/NFB7EN.htm

Wonder how these will compete with the EE and Wyred Dacs.

wushuliu

Re: Audio-GD and ESS Sabre 9018
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2010, 01:11 am »
I've lusted after Audio-GD products for a while now. They're the gear of choice on head-fi. The quality of the parts and the effort placed in the designs, especially in areas like power supply, are rare in that price range. One of these days I'll take the plunge when I have the funds, but I think folks'll be reticence here to try their products since they're based in China. I like that they have a dac for just about every pricepoint, and none of them look cheaply made - just compromised based on choices in design.

Love looking at the interior photos.  :drool:

johsti

« Reply #2 on: 30 Sep 2010, 06:45 pm »
Yes, the internal shots are very impressive.  They are made in China, but they are apparently hand made by the owner of Audio-GD and a few employees.  I've never heard an Audio-GD product, but they do seem to be held in very high regard on head-fi and other audio forums. 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #3 on: 30 Sep 2010, 07:10 pm »
Wow  :o That's really nice quality for the price. It's about as much as it costs for me to DIY a unit like that, in fact, it's slightly cheaper!  :duh:

Anand.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #4 on: 30 Sep 2010, 07:49 pm »
Anand:

I couldn't agree more with your post.  I have been looking into building either the Buffalo II or the ACKODAC(both based on the Sabre ES9018) and have asked myself over and over and over.... do I really want to DIY a DAC.  I have spoken with Mike Galusha about this and he has stated that going the DIY route isn't always cheaper, in fact, one can throw alot of money at a DIY project.

In pricing out either of the two above mentioned DIY DACS, by the time I add in Paul Hynes excellent regs and PS's, I am at $1,250+ and haven't even factored in the case.  The question to DIY or not to DIY starts to come into play when WFS DAC II costs $1,495 and now the offerings from Audio-GD(not to mention the EE DAC at $750).

I realize that all of these fine DACS are built to a price point and from what I have read on the Sabre chip, it's potential is only realized from great regs and PS's(which I would get from PH's products), one still has to give pause and question their sanity over going the DIY route.

Best,

Randy

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #5 on: 1 Oct 2010, 01:58 am »
Anand:

I couldn't agree more with your post.  I have been looking into building either the Buffalo II or the ACKODAC(both based on the Sabre ES9018) and have asked myself over and over and over.... do I really want to DIY a DAC.  I have spoken with Mike Galusha about this and he has stated that going the DIY route isn't always cheaper, in fact, one can throw alot of money at a DIY project.

In pricing out either of the two above mentioned DIY DACS, by the time I add in Paul Hynes excellent regs and PS's, I am at $1,250+ and haven't even factored in the case.  The question to DIY or not to DIY starts to come into play when WFS DAC II costs $1,495 and now the offerings from Audio-GD(not to mention the EE DAC at $750).

I realize that all of these fine DACS are built to a price point and from what I have read on the Sabre chip, it's potential is only realized from great regs and PS's(which I would get from PH's products), one still has to give pause and question their sanity over going the DIY route.

Best,

Randy

Indeed. Do it only if you are having fun. I will say this, if you are looking at a $10K dac, going DIY is going to be a cheaper option. If your budget is significantly lower, you could be caught in a pickle, as they say here in the south.

Best of luck,

Anand.

wushuliu

« Reply #6 on: 1 Oct 2010, 02:05 am »
The sabres are kits and modules tho and the fotm so there's a premium to be paid but other well designed DIY kits like the dac end and dvobjekts tda1541 boards at DIY Audio and others are pretty affordable.