Need 10B Standard Usage Tips

emilostan

« on: 1 Mar 2004, 04:09 pm »
I just built a two-way speaker (see details below) to use in a biamp system with a 10B crossover.  I have not seen very much on the 10B in this forum.  Can anyone help me with the following? Thanks!

1. Should I wire the tweeter in phase with the mid-woof (positive from tweeter amp to positive of tweeter or out of phase positve from tweeter amp to negative of tweeter)?

2. Recommendations for initial settings for 10B crossover points

3. Technique for adjusting crossover points (what to listen for if measuring equipment is not available)

System - Speakers - two-way with Scan Speak 9900 tweeter and 18W/8531G-00 mid/woofs (90 deg vertical tower no slope in baffle - 9" wide, 43" high, 15" deep). Separate compartments for tweeter and mid/woof. 25 liter for mid/woof rear ported (tuned at 35HZ). No passive crossover.

Two Odyssey 150 watt solid-state amps

MikeCTM2

« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2004, 08:02 pm »
i use the 18W/8531's and the scan-speak 6000 tweeter in my floor-standing MTM.  i think you should do it in phase.  you have a set-up i was seriously considering just recently.  that is, i was looking into getting a bryston 10b standard.  you have MTM not TM 2-way right?  mine are 9" wide, 48.5" tall, and 15" deep.  each mid/woofer gets 30 liters and cabinets tuned to 30 hz.   real interesting how you have 25 liters to ea mid/woofer and a tuning hz of 35.  close, but a bit different.

emilostan

« Reply #2 on: 4 Mar 2004, 04:01 pm »
MikeCTM2 - Mike, actually have a TM not MTM.  I was originally thinking of a 3-way with a 10" woofer but started to get too complicated (cabinet, another 10B, another stereo amp). Therefore, I just went with a TM.  I have isolated chambers for the tweeter and midwoof, with the bottom 1/3 of the cabinet is MDF with a spot for a passive crossover or sand if I desire.  The port is in the rear about 1/2 up the speaker.

emilostan

« Reply #3 on: 4 Mar 2004, 04:04 pm »
MikeCTM2 - Mike, actually have a TM not MTM.  I was originally thinking of a 3-way with a 10" woofer but started to get too complicated (cabinet, another 10B, another stereo amp). Therefore, I just went with a TM.  I have isolated chambers for the tweeter and midwoof, with the bottom 1/3 of the cabinet is MDF with a spot for a passive crossover or sand if I desire.  The port is in the rear about 1/2 up the speaker. I went with the Bryston primarily because I have no talent for crossover design (I thought that biamping would give a potential for better sound also)

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #4 on: 4 Mar 2004, 07:59 pm »
first tip is to sell the 10b, & then use the proceeds to buy a marchand, & put the rest in the bank!   :lol:

seriously that's what i'd do.  but, if i insisted on keeping the bryston, i'd first wanna know whether it was the 18db/octave iteration or the 24db/octave iteration.  if it were 24db, i'd keep everyting in phase, as 24db doesn't inwert phase.  as 18db is 90 degrees outta phase (or 270?), i'd try it both ways, & see which sounds best...  i'm sure there are those out there that may know how to maintain correct phase w/passive parts & an active 18db/octave x-over, but i certainly am not one of them...

good luck,

doug s.