Squeezebox - Pace Car - Linn Numerik?

cheviot100

Squeezebox - Pace Car - Linn Numerik?
« on: 27 Sep 2010, 11:44 pm »
Hi.
I've got a Squeezebox Classic and a late model Linn Numerik DAC. As the Numerik has a reclocking capability of its own when mated with a Linn Karik cdp, does anybody know if a Squeezebox can be modded so it will interact with the Numerik in the same manner that the Karik does to reduce jitter?
Or would a modded Squeezebox - Pacecar - Numerik setup be the answer? I like the Numerik which, in its last iterations still has a fair legion of followers, of which I am one.

thanks

Bill

audioengr

Re: Squeezebox - Pace Car - Linn Numerik?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2010, 05:20 pm »
Hi.
I've got a Squeezebox Classic and a late model Linn Numerik DAC. As the Numerik has a reclocking capability of its own when mated with a Linn Karik cdp, does anybody know if a Squeezebox can be modded so it will interact with the Numerik in the same manner that the Karik does to reduce jitter?
Or would a modded Squeezebox - Pacecar - Numerik setup be the answer? I like the Numerik which, in its last iterations still has a fair legion of followers, of which I am one.

thanks

Bill

The Karik likely accepts a word-clock from the DAC.  When you use it this way, the clock inside the DAC is used.  An external reclocker will not be of much use.  You are stuck with the jitter of the internal clock.

If you want to improve on the jitter, there are a number of devices that can be mated with the Pace-Car to reduce jitter before it reaches the DAC, including Squeezebox3, Duet and Sonos.  These all require a small mod by Cullen Circuits to be compatible.  If you want a transport that is plug-and-play with the Pace-Car, then Marantz SA-11SE does the trick.  Also the Fireface400 is plug-and-play.  Anything with word-clock input.

Steve N.

TomS

Re: Squeezebox - Pace Car - Linn Numerik?
« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2010, 06:59 pm »
The Karik likely accepts a word-clock from the DAC.  When you use it this way, the clock inside the DAC is used.  An external reclocker will not be of much use.  You are stuck with the jitter of the internal clock.

If you want to improve on the jitter, there are a number of devices that can be mated with the Pace-Car to reduce jitter before it reaches the DAC, including Squeezebox3, Duet and Sonos.  These all require a small mod by Cullen Circuits to be compatible.  If you want a transport that is plug-and-play with the Pace-Car, then Marantz SA-11SE does the trick.  Also the Fireface400 is plug-and-play.  Anything with word-clock input.

Steve N.
The Logitech Transporter is also plug and play (Word Clock input).  I use a Pace Car 2 with mine.