Mouse living in my HT3s

ctviggen

Mouse living in my HT3s
« on: 27 Sep 2010, 10:23 am »
After too many months in storage in my garage, my HT3s are finally going back in to my revise family/HT room, once I capture the mouse (mice?) living in one (both?) of the speakers.  The mouse was seen running into and out of the ports. 

What kind of damage might I expect?  If I take the woofer off, what should I look for or do? 

Thank you.

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
Re: Mouse living in my HT3s
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2010, 10:48 am »
Oh gosh! See if you can have a look at the internal wiring which may be chewed up by the rodent ! :(

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2010, 11:00 am »
Very good possibility they have been chewing on things. Unfortunately, it's a better possibility they have been using the speaks as a bathroom. Not a fun task cleaning that out.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2010, 01:47 pm »
We once had those guys chewing on all of our car's electrical wirings and hoses. :(

I am sure they already damged your internal wirings as well as any soft stuff on the drivers.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2010, 05:54 pm »
PIck up a copy of the Broadway play, "Cats" and play that a few times to get rid of the mice.  :)

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2010, 06:31 pm »
I'd try to get rid of them ASAP.  Put them in an area where you can work and start taking out the drivers.

ctviggen

« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2010, 03:05 pm »
Thanks, all.  The speakers are still in the garage.  I put many peanut butter laden traps all around the speakers, but haven't caught anything yet.  I'll take the woofers off and see if I can see any damage and try to clean any mouse house remains.

I live in a relatively bucolic area, and it's a constant battle between mice and us.  I made a mistake by not plugging the ports, but I didn't think about it.

As for cats, alas, the wife is allergic to them. 

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #7 on: 28 Sep 2010, 03:07 pm »

Try a snake instead!!   :green:

strat95

« Reply #8 on: 29 Sep 2010, 02:44 am »
Try a snake instead!!   :green:

:lol:  But then how does he get rid of the snake?

That reminds me of a cartoon where a guy has a mouse problem so he gets a cat.  The cat gets rid of the mouse but the cat starts giving him problems.  He decides to get a dog.  The dog gets rid of the cat but the dog starts giving him problems as well.  This goes on until I think he gets an elephant to get rid of a problematic lion.  Finally, he gets a mouse again to get rid of the elephant!  :duh:

TV

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 29 Sep 2010, 03:47 am »
Thanks, all.  The speakers are still in the garage.  I put many peanut butter laden traps all around the speakers, but haven't caught anything yet.  I'll take the woofers off and see if I can see any damage and try to clean any mouse house remains.

I live in a relatively bucolic area, and it's a constant battle between mice and us.  I made a mistake by not plugging the ports, but I didn't think about it.

I don't know how great they work on rodents, but you can also try one of those sonic repellents.  Perhaps keep one in the garage.  Maybe it will drive them out.  If not I hear Milli Vanilli's record although rare will drive anything out 8)

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 29 Sep 2010, 03:59 am »