too much anti-skating

j beede

too much anti-skating
« on: 27 Sep 2010, 01:05 am »
I never had any skating issues with my "old" WTA with the stainless arm tube. My new(er) WTT has the CF arm tube with machined aluminum headshell and I am experiencing too much anti-skating--even with the upper attach points for the monofilaments set as close together as possible. If I twist the mounting post to 15°CW as shown in the manual I will increase the anti-skating force. I am at about 30° CW and that compromises my Baerwald compliance. Your thoughts?
...j

Mike Pranka

• Facilitator
Re: too much anti-skating
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2010, 06:04 pm »
Hi,

What's "CW"?... also, don't understand how turning the mounting post affects anti-skate. Sorry if I'm being dense/missing something w/ your description.. I guess I need some clarification.

best,
mike

Gopher

« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2010, 07:17 pm »
Can't answer question, but I assume he means clock-wise.

j beede

« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2010, 06:16 am »
Yes, CW=clockwise. Since the WTA applies anti-skating force via the twisting of the monofilaments, rotating the mounting post to set overhang changes the anti-skating force. Since I have already reduced the anti-skating to minimum, and still have too much, rotating the post is my only option. The interaction between the various WTA settings is well known. This is not one of its most endearing features I suppose.
...j

jimdgoulding

« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2010, 07:29 am »
Don't know a way of fixin this with your tonerm?

michael w

« Reply #5 on: 30 Sep 2010, 09:31 am »
Dis-mantle and re-assemble.

It sounds like it wasn't put together properly ?

Do you have the original setup instructions ?

threadkiller

« Reply #6 on: 30 Sep 2010, 04:01 pm »
Good call....I was lost on the rotating the mounting post.  Could you post a photo?

Flyin_V

« Reply #7 on: 29 Dec 2010, 02:20 am »
Haven't seen a WTA in some time, but you can slightly rotate the white plastic paddle that sits in the fluid to reduce the anti skating instead of/in addition to rotating the arm mounting post.

Good Luck

Neon

« Reply #8 on: 12 Dec 2011, 07:26 pm »
Hi WTA Circle
    I also have been frustrated with this problem of WTA anti skate adjustment, with my arm giving too much anti skate force at the minimum setting.    I read that you can adjust the plastic paddle, does anyone have experience with making that adjustment ?   Also what is considered the best protractor for use with this arm.  I tried to get a Wally Tractor made but there seems to be a very long delay between ordering and manufacture.

Thanks
Dana Woods
WTT Ref
WTT