Can I build a sub with 6 Line Source woofers??

Danny Richie

Re: Can I build a sub with 6 Line Source woofers??
« Reply #40 on: 30 Sep 2010, 04:29 pm »
Okay, pull the couch out from the wall by 9" (or even less) and put it behind the couch. Face the woofers toward the couch at the bottom. Then fact the ports up and out the top. That will give you a real kick in the pants.

Danny Richie

« Reply #41 on: 30 Sep 2010, 04:29 pm »
Looks like Ed had the same idea and beat me to it.

dvenardos

« Reply #42 on: 30 Sep 2010, 06:18 pm »
How would the line source subwoofer compare to the V2 subwoofer on a subjective basis (sounds like specs are similar)?
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2010, 08:24 pm by dvenardos »

freerider

« Reply #43 on: 30 Sep 2010, 08:00 pm »
Okay, pull the couch out from the wall by 9" (or even less) and put it behind the couch. Face the woofers toward the couch at the bottom. Then fact the ports up and out the top. That will give you a real kick in the pants.

That's 3 of you in agreement (Beatcoaster mentioned this type of placement as well).

Do you realize you guys are pushing me closer to the LS6's, which I already don't have enough room for?!  Not sure losing 9" is worth it, considering the cost delta between a line source woofer behind the couch, and a regular 12" or 15" box sub next to the couch, is the price of the driver.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #44 on: 30 Sep 2010, 08:21 pm »
Alternatively, maybe you could pick up a bunch of tweeters and make yourself a home theater of small monitors.

dvenardos

« Reply #45 on: 30 Sep 2010, 08:27 pm »
How much did you pay for them? I certainly understand the urge to get your monies worth out of them, but maybe someone else would be willing to take them off your hands so you don't feel so bad having them go to waste.

That's 3 of you in agreement (Beatcoaster mentioned this type of placement as well).

Do you realize you guys are pushing me closer to the LS6's, which I already don't have enough room for?!  Not sure losing 9" is worth it, considering the cost delta between a line source woofer behind the couch, and a regular 12" or 15" box sub next to the couch, is the price of the driver.

freerider

« Reply #46 on: 30 Sep 2010, 09:12 pm »
They are all damaged (cracked, broken frames), solder tab busted, or spiders that aren't level, due to poor packaging when they were shipped to me from the AV123 auction.

I'm not sure I could sell them.  Custom made, just for the LS6/LS9, but no one would ever use them for that.

Like my first posts says, I'm just looking to do something with them aside from throwing them in the garbage.  That's the only reason I was interested in this project.  They are good enough for a cheap, DIY sub, but they need to be near perfect to go in my LS6s.

mojave

« Reply #47 on: 30 Sep 2010, 09:16 pm »
This thread has me thinking a little bit. I could use one pair of my LS-6 cabinets with just the drivers and use them for midbass on the LFE channel. I could then use the sub's crossover set to about 25 or 30 and use it for the low end. Of course this would entail two more channels of amplifications. I'm not sure this would provide any benefit over just using subs for the LFE channel. Any thoughts?

syntheticwave

« Reply #48 on: 30 Sep 2010, 09:24 pm »
...an any case, you will have a advantage regarding the efficiency with 6 drivers.
The reason describe in
http://www.holophony.net/Speaker_Field_Adaption_for_WFS.htm

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #49 on: 1 Oct 2010, 09:55 am »
Thanks Danny.  Maybe this picture will help.  Honestly, I don't get some twisted pleasure shooting down everyone's ideas, it's just that there is no way, on God's green earth, my wife will approve a monolith blocking our windows, or any other portion of the room.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to crank out a line source woofer, for the fun of it, but I just don't have the flexibility to make it happen in this room.

So, with the line source off the table, it doesn't sound like the box version I drew up is a worthwhile effort.

Maybe I should buy a couple Neo 8's or dome tweeters, and make some bookshelf speakers instead?

Can you move that white shelving unit in the dining room down it's wall a bit, and fit a tower along side it, maybe paint it white so it blends in? It could just look as if that white shelf unit is simply wider, and not stand out too much?

Difficult rooms are a challenge we all love, hope you find a clever solution :)

freerider

« Reply #50 on: 4 Oct 2010, 04:31 pm »
Thank you all for your brain storming ideas.  It has been made clear to me that the best way to use these woofers in a subwoofer cabinet, is in a line array.  However, I am not going to be able to do that in this room.  I think I would get more bang for my buck, just buying another MFW-15, or making one that is similar.

I am now going to focus my efforts on building a couple bookshelf speakers instead.  I'll ask about it in a new thread.

mojave

« Reply #51 on: 5 Oct 2010, 03:50 pm »
I was curious as to what other line source speaker companies use for their subwoofers. The Genesis 1.2 from Genesis Advanced Technologies has two woofer towers that are composed of 6 dual opposed sealed subwoofers per side. That is 24 drivers total with separate servo amps for each section. It looks neat and could be built using Danny's servo subs. It says these are built with 2" mdf for the front and sides with 1" mdf for the braces. It looks like the box volume is quite small per sealed sub section.

freerider

« Reply #52 on: 5 Oct 2010, 04:29 pm »
Their website says "Each pair of woofers reside in a separate cavity and this has almost completely eliminated boxy coloration inside each cavity. This results in better, tighter bass and a more complete coupling of the woofers to the air load in the listening room."

So per tower, they basically have 6 subwoofers, stacked on top of each other.  Each with 2 drivers firing opposite polarities.  I'm assuming they are sealed subs.  I could build 4 of those types of boxes, but I'm betting these LS woofers aren't ideal for a dual driver, sealed enclosure type configuration.

freerider

« Reply #53 on: 8 Oct 2010, 05:49 pm »
Well...this theoretical project is officially scrapped.  I'm getting somewhat screwed by the shipper and UPS, because they took all my damaged speakers for 'analysis', in order to approve my insurance claim.  When they finish the analysis, they throw everything away.  So it looks like these speakers will end up in the trash after all... :(

I'm going to need to buy 9 new ones, to complete my build.

I wonder if I should go after the shipper for my $110 shipping charge, which was a complete waste, since they didn't package anything correctly, and they have wasted a month on this so far, where my speakers have not been useable while waiting for claim. :mad: 

I'm going to have to end up paying for shipping AGAIN, which wasn't part of my insurance claim.