Anyone go from Running Springs to Uberbuss?

mca

Anyone go from Running Springs to Uberbuss?
« on: 26 Sep 2010, 08:19 pm »
If so, what are your thoughts? Using a Haley now...

mca

Re: Anyone go from Running Springs to Uberbuss?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2010, 07:21 pm »
No one?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2010, 08:13 pm »
It has been way too long since I had a Haley or Duke to compare it to the Uberbuss.

Sorry.

George

jhm731

« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2010, 08:16 pm »
It has been way too long since I had a Haley or Duke to compare it to the Uberbuss.

Sorry.

George

Why did you switch?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 12 Nov 2010, 12:58 am »
Why did you switch?

+1 

What didn't you like about the RSA gear?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #5 on: 12 Nov 2010, 03:39 pm »
+1 

What didn't you like about the RSA gear?

I like RSA gear and continue to recommend it.  Dan at RSA is one of the best people in the industry and offers outstanding customer service.

In my system, I replaced the RSA gear with a Furman IT-Reference 20i balanced power conditioner.

Since that change, I added an Uberbuss into the mix and it further improved things.

Here is my power setup:

Dedicated 20 amp line with Oyaide outlets ->
Uberbuss connected to Oyaide outlet via Kaplan Cable pc
Uberuss connected to Furman IT-Reference 20i balanced power conditioner via Kaplan Cable pc

All of my gear is plugged into the Furman.

George

Randy

« Reply #6 on: 29 Nov 2010, 04:15 pm »
George - Obviously you think the Furman works and is worth the investment. What does it do for your sound?  I have been looking for effective power conditioning for years and years with no success and too many units to count. (I tried the PS audio PPP two different times. It wasn't worth the tiny bit, if any, improvement it made in line noise.)  I see Furman had a 15i model. Think it is as effective as the 20i? I would use it for only two pieces of equipment, my integrated amp and CD player. Any thoughts you can offer would be appreciated.

tarquineous

« Reply #7 on: 4 Apr 2011, 11:58 am »
I tried my Synergistic Powercell into a RSA Haley, an Uberbuss, a Z-der Block, and a few others. Into the Uberbuss sounds the best. The RSA thinned out the sound too much. From the Uberbuss to the wall, a Purist PC further improved the sound- more calm and relaxed, but with all the dynamics and detail.

The Uberbuss should be ordered with better duplexes. The stock ones were very low tension on the plug. So I replaced those.

kingdeezie

« Reply #8 on: 4 Apr 2011, 01:12 pm »
I tried my Synergistic Powercell into a RSA Haley, an Uberbuss, a Z-der Block, and a few others. Into the Uberbuss sounds the best. The RSA thinned out the sound too much. From the Uberbuss to the wall, a Purist PC further improved the sound- more calm and relaxed, but with all the dynamics and detail.

The Uberbuss should be ordered with better duplexes. The stock ones were very low tension on the plug. So I replaced those.

Just out of curiosity, why would one plug a powercell into the uberbuss?

I am using a powercell 10se, and just curious why I might consider an uberbuss.
« Last Edit: 4 Apr 2011, 03:20 pm by kingdeezie »

Big Red Machine

« Reply #9 on: 4 Apr 2011, 01:51 pm »
Just out of curiosity, why would one plug a powercell into the uberbuss?

I am using a powercell 10, and just curious why I might consider an uberbuss.

I second that question.  What does the Uber do that the others don't?  Or, perhaps the Uber compliments the other units in some way?

RPM123

« Reply #10 on: 4 Apr 2011, 02:26 pm »
In my case, it's what the Uber didn't do, i.e., cause phono hum!  :thumb: I had been using a RSA Jaco for a couple of years and during that entire period, I always experienced a bit of hum when listening to records, even while using shielded cables. And if I tried using an unshielded cable between my phono stage and preamp, the hum was just plain unbearable. So, on a whim one day, I contacted Dave to find out if he had a loaner Uberbuss that I could try. He was just finishing one for himself and offered to let me try it. (Now that's customer service... plus a very nice gesture!) I replaced the RSA with the Uber and... voila, no more hum, plus I can now use unshielded cables without any issues! I purchased Dave's personal Uber and have a been a very happy "camper" ever since.  :D

Apart from the phono hum issue, I also found the Uber to have an even quieter background than the RSA, using either digital or analog sources. 

arthurs

« Reply #11 on: 4 Apr 2011, 03:06 pm »
Caveat..I think we all know better than to ask me anything scientific about how or why things work the way they do.... :o but I have used the RS products mentioned, the PowerCell 10SE and the Uber as well as the custom Busses I have now.  I found the PowerCell to be a clear step up over the RS products in terms of quietness, tone and spacial cues.  When I plugged the PowerCell into the Uber, I found it softened everything a bit (not sure why) so found I preferred either by itself, but not together.  The closeness of performance between the Uber and the PowerCell got me to working with Dave on what are now my custom Busses, which I find to be better than either the original Uber I had here or the PowerCell.  Nothing specific stands out except richness of tone that Dave worked to build into the customs for me, they are just better overall in all the same areas as the Uber and PowerCell.  I think a big contributor to that is we hard wired my cords to the customs and reduced several connections.  I sold the PowerCell and several power cords and kept the savings...living happily with the CustomBuss's  :thumb:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #12 on: 4 Apr 2011, 06:23 pm »
I second that question.  What does the Uber do that the others don't?  Or, perhaps the Uber compliments the other units in some way?

I guess it's like anything else, you need to answer those questions for yourself by experimenting. But it's been well documented by those who have done such demo's that the UberBuss works well with other conditioners, in my case with my BPT BT2.5 balanced power conditioner. I'd love to hear how this parallel filter works (or doesn't work) with such condditions as the PowerCell and the RSA conditioners. Just never know til you try like Arthur's done.  :o

Why does this parallel filter work so well? Well I do know that my BPT was one of the 1st to have a high current filter placed inside before the transformer by Chris Hoff and at the time was  quite benificial. I feel the Uber is just more of the same,,, much more filtration. And I know that the UberBuss before balanced power works very very well.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin