Poll

Have you seen The Passion Of The Christ?

Yup
14 (29.8%)
Nope
3 (6.4%)
I will at some point
19 (40.4%)
I've no plans at all to see it
11 (23.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Voting closed: 1 Mar 2004, 03:07 am

The Jesus Chainsaw Massacre...

bubba966

« on: 1 Mar 2004, 02:17 am »
So, it was number one at the box office over the weekend.

Did anyone here bother to go see it?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2004, 02:18 am »
Not yet, but I plan to.

bubba966

« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2004, 02:23 am »
From the-numbers.com

The Passion of the Christ broke all manner of records at the weekend, storming to an estimated $76 million Friday-Sunday gross, and a total of $117.5 million since it was released on Wednesday.

Not only is that weekend record for February, the movie also sets a new mark for a weekend outside the Memorial Day weekend and pre-Thanksgiving seasons. In all, it's the 6th biggest single weekend in history, with only X-Men, Star Wars, The Matrix and Harry Potter able to claim better performances.

I'm a bit perplexed at that. I only know like 2 or 3 people that went to see it. And I don't recall many that were actually looking forward to it.

:scratch:

Andrikos

« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2004, 02:36 am »
That means you are hanging out with the antichrists...
may the lord have mercy on your soul...
:D :lol:

mgalusha

« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2004, 02:36 am »
Quote from: bubba966
I'm a bit perplexed at that. I only know like 2 or 3 people that went to see it. And I don't recall many that were actually looking forward to it. :scratch:

I can tell you that a massive amount of tickets have been sold to churches. My wife works for Regal Cinemas in group sales and they have been bombarded for the past three or four weeks with bulk orders for the film.

My step son saw it Friday and said it was very intense and he highly recommended it and he is not a religious person. I haven't decided if I want so see it yet as I usually see movies to escape and be entertained and this one is certainly not escapisim.

bubba966

« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2004, 02:42 am »
Mike, I'd heard that there were massive church buy-outs. But $76 Mil is still just huge.

I might've guessed around $40 Mil give or take $10 Mil.  :roll: Guess I woulda been a bit off... :lol:

I don't know if I'll ever bother to see it. I've already passed up a few free screenings, including a private screening. Just no desire on my part.

bubba966

« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2004, 02:43 am »
Quote from: Andrikos
That means you are hanging out with the antichrists...
may the lord have mercy on your soul...
:D :lol:

:rock:  :rotflmao:

Mathew_M

« Reply #7 on: 1 Mar 2004, 02:43 am »
Probably because you don't know many Christians (in the truest sense).  This film was marketed so differently from your typical Hollywood fair.  The 'making of' special aired on PAX of all places.  Strangely you had droves of people paying to see it who would probably never allow themselves to watch some PG rated movies.  It trully broke the 'secular' line that exists between Hollywood and Christianity.

I wouldn't say I'm looking forward to seeing it though its a little like a car wreck in that I have an urge to see it.

bubba966

« Reply #8 on: 1 Mar 2004, 02:46 am »
Quote from: Mathew_M
Probably because you don't know many Christians (in the truest sense).

Well, you're right. Can't say that I know many people that are truly religious, be it any religion.

Don't watch PAX either... :lol:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 1 Mar 2004, 02:57 am »
Massive controversy also fuels ticket sales.  I'm a bit perplexed as to why the film is so controversial:  the story is 2000 years old, it isn't new.  Gibsons telling of the tale sounds to be about as literal a version as you could make.  And I've read many reviews that say it's extemely violent, but that'll happen when you pummell a person and nail 'em to a cross!  Ebert said it's the most violent film he's ever seen, but I can't comprehend how it could top the hyper-violence of your average action or sci-fi flick.  After all, Christ isn't disembowed or dismembered, he doesn't blow 50 people away with a rocket launcher.

I'm puzzled as to why people worry that it will cause anti-Semetism, either.  Sure, Jews killed him, but Christ was himself a Jew.  And truly, "we", ie all of humanity killed him.  He died to redeem human sin.  If you are Christian, you'd have to really be a mellonhead to "blame" anyone for killing Christ- had he not died none of us would be saved.  In that sense, if the Jewish people really were to blame, they'd deserve a medal, wouldn't they?

I suppose the release is well timed- lent is just starting and the attention of Christian people is turned towards spiritual matters.  So you release a religious themed film, and one that has recieved a lot of critical praise- to me that seems like a recipe for ticket sales.

Marbles

« Reply #10 on: 1 Mar 2004, 03:02 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
And truly, "we", ie all of humanity killed him. He died to redeem human sin. If you are Christian, you'd have to really be a mellonhead to "blame" anyone for killing Christ- had he not died none of us would be saved. ..

Rob, Jesus did not become a diety until over 300 years after his death when Constantine the Great made him one.

I have no desire to see a film with 3 hours of graphic torture and no sex involved....

bubba966

« Reply #11 on: 1 Mar 2004, 03:05 am »
Quote from: Marbles
I have no desire to see a film with 3 hours of graphic torture and no sex involved....

How 'bout 2 hours of graphic torture and no sex?...

bubba966

« Reply #12 on: 1 Mar 2004, 03:08 am »
Well, as I'd intended this to be more of a thread asking if anyone'd seen it than a religious thread, I've added a poll to this thread...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 1 Mar 2004, 03:18 am »
Yeah, we'll have to move this to the SP Technology forum! :lol:   I agree it should have some sex, especially since Monica Bellucci plays Mary Magdelen.

I don't intent to debate the divinity of Jesus- that's been done to death.  I'm just saying that this movie sounds like it stays very close to the liturgical account of the Crucifiction as portrayed in the Bible.  It's pretty clear just why he died and that he fully God and fully man.  I think any movie based upon a biblical story has to be critiqued in part upon how faithful it is to the source.  Certainly Jesus ain't gonna throw a shot into a hooker just to spice it up enough for you to see it, Marbles! :o  :lol:

Marbles

« Reply #14 on: 1 Mar 2004, 03:24 am »

I'm just saying that this movie sounds like it stays very close to the liturgical account of the Crucifiction as portrayed in the Bible.  

We can agree on this........

2 hours of graphic torture and no sex involved seems like a crappy way to spend an afternoon or evening...besides, everyone knows the ending already  :P   It's not like there's going to be any plot twists at the end to spice it up... :wink:

I'm sure I will see the movie at some point, probably when it gets released to DVD.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 1 Mar 2004, 03:28 am »
That's my problem with the new Alamo movie, too!  Not a lot of suspense there...

pjchappy

« Reply #16 on: 1 Mar 2004, 03:30 am »
I'm not sure if I'll see it. . .I've heard the book is better.

:lol:

I definitely want to see it and will try sometime this week.

p

bubba966

« Reply #17 on: 1 Mar 2004, 03:31 am »
That's my problem with the new Alamo movie, too!  Not a lot of suspense there...

Well, you coulda said the same thing for Titanic. And look what that did...

Though I doubt that anyone will be seeing Passion more than once. The couple of people that I do know that saw it said it was the goriest movie they've ever seen. And they said they've no intention of ever seeing it again. Not because it was bad, but there's no reason to watch gore like that again in a movie like that.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 1 Mar 2004, 03:34 am »
I never did see Titanic.  I figured it would suck so I never bothered.  Was it any good?  Did it win the Oscar that year?  Guess anything that breaks every record is gonna win something.

bubba966

« Reply #19 on: 1 Mar 2004, 03:38 am »
I never did see Titanic.  I figured it would suck so I never bothered.  Was it any good?  Did it win the Oscar that year?  Guess anything that breaks every record is gonna win something.

It only won 11 Oscars... :lol: Picture and Director were 2 of the 11.

I liked it. Haven't seen it all in a while, but I've seen it at least a half dozen times. Not the greatest movie, but I'd at least enjoyed it.