us export taxes?

Rocket

us export taxes?
« on: 27 Jan 2003, 02:51 am »
hello,

just curious to know about taxes in the us.

last year i imported a perpetual technologies dac from the us and was still charged the us taxes.  i know that in the uk if you buy a product which is being exported you are not charged vat.

does anyone know what happens in the us?  this may help if i purchase any other products from the us.

regards

rod

JohnR

us export taxes?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2003, 06:01 am »
Rod, did they say *what* the taxes were for exactly? In the US, if you buy something mail order from another state you don't pay any sales tax. So if someone charged you sales tax on an overseas order, that's pretty fishy...

Rocket

export taxes
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2003, 06:51 am »
hello john,

i bought my perpetual technologies dac several months ago and thought the tax was included.

i may be wrong tho, the prices you usually see for hifi products does this include tax or do they add that later?

in australia the tax is mostly always included in the purchase price.

regards

rod

JohnR

us export taxes?
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2003, 07:34 am »
Oh, no, the price is always before tax here. Then if you are in the same state as the seller you have to pay the sales tax in addition.

Rocket

us taxes
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2003, 08:25 am »
hello john,

thanks for the information.  i was looking at the possibility of importing a nottingham turntable if i could buy one for a good price, but it wouldn't be viable.  

thanks

rod

JohnR

us export taxes?
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2003, 09:36 am »
Wouldn't you get a Nottingham from the UK?

J

Rocket

us export taxes?
« Reply #6 on: 28 Jan 2003, 10:06 am »
hello john,

i'm finding it very hard to obtain web addresses for the nottingham turntables.  i've stumbled across the distributor in australia and it looks like it is more economical to buy direct from them.

anyway i'm a couple of months away and just looking at all the possibilities.  actually just looking at ebay in the uk and us is much better than what you can buy on ebay in australia.

regards

rod

bundee1

us export taxes?
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jan 2003, 12:21 am »
I work in retail, and products shipped overseas arent subject to U.S. taxes. Import taxes from the country you are shipping to is totally up to that country.