Tannoy Silver Monitor 15" w/crossovers and cabinets in mint condition....(Pics)

Wayner

These things are from the mid-1950s and have escaped the wears of time. They are a 9/10 in condition and fully functional. Does anyone have a clue what these things are worth?

Wayner  :scratch:
« Last Edit: 24 Sep 2010, 05:03 pm by Wayner »

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Sounds like a great find to me, did you hear them yet?? :thumb:
http://trade.audioasylum.com/ca/ca.html?ca=27730

Wayner

Yes sir. They are awesome. The 15" woofer in the ported cabinet sounds very dynamic, even at low levels. The concentric tweeter (inside the woofer voice coil) is crossed over at 1,000hz and they produce wonderful cymbal crash, ambiance of recording and very fast.

The amp was a vintage Sansui 3000 receiver.

I hope to post some pictures later.

Wayner  :D

Wayner

Here are a couple of pictures for your enjoyment. Turns out that the cabinets are made by Hagiwara Furniture company to Tannoy enclosure specifications. There is also an interesting port vent on the bottom with "Patent Pending" sticker on them, not knowing if these vents were designed by Tannoy or a second/third party.

eclein

• Volunteer
Those look absolutely NEW Wayner, Nice snag!!!!! :thumb:

Wayner

BTW, these speakers sold this weekend for $XX,XXX. The buyer didn't really want the cabinets, but They were the easy way to ship (as they are already secured) and was the easiest route. He is going to do some DIY cabs for them, I think he's an open baffle guy, but it sure sounds interesting.

I would have liked to hear them with the Ultravalve powering them as that may have been the perfect mate for these wonderful speakers.

Wayner  8)
« Last Edit: 4 Oct 2010, 04:43 pm by Wayner »

eclein

• Volunteer
Wayner...very nice!!!! What makes them so valuable?? The build quality? or is it something very specific...I'm curious??

face

Why is this in the single driver circle? 

Wayner...very nice!!!! What makes them so valuable?? The build quality? or is it something very specific...I'm curious??
They're rare compared to the later Monitor Red and Gold.  There was also a Monitor Black(which became the silver) that is very rare.

srb

Wayner

Those are the ones (I am not the owner) and a best offer was accepted.

There seems to be quite a little niche of Tannoy fans, as the view count went pretty high for such a short period of time.

If this was the wrong thread for this, then move it.

I am confused about the company tho. Did they ever completely design cabinets for these or other model speakers as the information I have found is sketchy. Lots of other sales of these types of speakers have had different cabinet manufacturers and the fact that they are over 40 years old makes finding info a bit challenging. Not that I could afford these, but the audio history behind them is what trips my trigger.

Wayner

face

Here is some great vintage Tannoy info: http://www.hilberink.nl/speaker.htm

Wayner

Thanks Face!

I think I'll be spending the afternoon at this website. I already found a great brochure for the silver.