Niteshade 1950's Super Edition Amplifier w/ extras!

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« on: 21 Sep 2010, 12:50 am »

I did not have a chance to present this new enclosure in detail yet. The amplifier design is new as well!

Our new enclosure upgrade is made of steel and aluminum. Wood trim is standard and wood sides with a solid heavy aluminum faceplate is optional. This new enclosure is anti-resonant as well as EMI resistant. There is absolutely no EMI conduction between transformers or transformer to chassis. The results: An extremely quiet amp both physically and electrically.

The new circuit uses a power supply based entirety on an improved 1950's architecture. Rectification via tube and a CDE based multi-section capacitor is used along with a good, heavy 'old school' choke. How quiet is this amp? I can barely hear anything with my ear within one inch of the speaker. Subtle details are brought right out into the open and there's thirty watts per channel to back it up.

Some upgrades include:
1] Dual rectifiers (includes heavier power supply transformer!)
2] Super Edition (as shown)
3] 40 watt output transformers (goes well with dual rectifiers)

Standard features include tunable biasing, variable feedback, wood trim, tube rectification, zero resonance & zero EMI enclosure.

Guy 13

« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2010, 04:27 am »

I did not have a chance to present this new enclosure in detail yet. The amplifier design is new as well!

Our new enclosure upgrade is made of steel and aluminum. Wood trim is standard and wood sides with a solid heavy aluminum faceplate is optional. This new enclosure is anti-resonant as well as EMI resistant. There is absolutely no EMI conduction between transformers or transformer to chassis. The results: An extremely quiet amp both physically and electrically.

The new circuit uses a power supply based entirety on an improved 1950's architecture. Rectification via tube and a CDE based multi-section capacitor is used along with a good, heavy 'old school' choke. How quiet is this amp? I can barely hear anything with my ear within one inch of the speaker. Subtle details are brought right out into the open and there's thirty watts per channel to back it up.

Some upgrades include:
1] Dual rectifiers (includes heavier power supply transformer!)
2] Super Edition (as shown)
3] 40 watt output transformers (goes well with dual rectifiers)

Standard features include tunable biasing, variable feedback, wood trim, tube rectification, zero resonance & zero EMI enclosure.
Hi Blair.
As usual, this is my opinion for what it's worth.
Very nice looking amplifier !
Now, can you make this amplifier even better looking ?
I think so.
How about making the choke the same color as all the other trabnsformers ?
How about painting the CDE capacitor the same color as all the transformers ?
How about having power tubes that don't look dull, they look like they are ready to retire ! I am not talking about the coke bottle shape, but the inside color.
Anyone agree or disagree with me ?
Did I miss something ?
Do yiou have any other ideas to make it even better looking ?
Other than that, this amplifier look very, very nice.
Keep up the good work.
Guy 13.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
Re: Niteshade 1950's Super Edition Amplifier w/ extras!
« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2010, 10:30 am »
The tubes are supposed to look that way. They are 6L6G's circa 1940. Very good sounding tubes and extremely rugged. The rectifier is a re-socketed (by the factory) 81 now called a 5U4.

I wanted this amp to look a little retro and to have some contrasting components. Everything can be painted to match up.

I forgot one more detail: This amp uses an external DC filament supply as a standard feature. A 5AR4 rectifier can be subbed as well.

Another upgrade option: Switchable tube or solid state rectification.

Guy 13

« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2010, 10:49 am »
The tubes are supposed to look that way. They are 6L6G's circa 1940. Very good sounding tubes and extremely rugged. The rectifier is a re-socketed (by the factory) 81 now called a 5U4.

I wanted this amp to look a little retro and to have some contrasting components. Everything can be painted to match up.

I forgot one more detail: This amp uses an external DC filament supply as a standard feature. A 5AR4 rectifier can be subbed as well.

Hi Blair.
Well I guess I am not in the retro club.
Now that you have explained that this amplifier is a retro circa 1940 model, I understand and I appreciate the work you did in making this amplifier look like it's supposed to look and I can say that you have succeeded. BRAVO !
Guy 13.
(Excuse my ignorance...)

JakeJ

« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2010, 12:03 pm »
Not ignorance, Guy, just your opinion.  If I were DIYing this amp I would do the same and paint the choke's endbells to match (although not the laminations, never paint the core laminations of a transformer) and the multi-section cap as you mentioned.  I have no problem wih the tube choices because sound quality is numero uno.  Likely hand selected by Blair.

Guy, just out of curiousity, what is your opinion of the appearance of the new production Shuguang "Black Treasure" tubes?  I personally don't think they look as good as a clear bottle tube but if the sonics are as good as claimed I don't care if the inside is coated with Mongolian goat dung.

Just another audiophool's opinion.

Jake

Guy 13

« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2010, 12:42 pm »
Not ignorance, Guy, just your opinion.  If I were DIYing this amp I would do the same and paint the choke's endbells to match (although not the laminations, never paint the core laminations of a transformer) and the multi-section cap as you mentioned.  I have no problem wih the tube choices because sound quality is numero uno.  Likely hand selected by Blair.

Guy, just out of curiousity, what is your opinion of the appearance of the new production Shuguang "Black Treasure" tubes?  I personally don't think they look as good as a clear bottle tube but if the sonics are as good as claimed I don't care if the inside is coated with Mongolian goat dung.

Just another audiophool's opinion.

Jake
Hi Jake.
Well, my opinion is the opinion of an ignnorant person by the name of Guy. (Ha, ha...)
I went on Shuguang "Black Treasure" tubes web site and this is my opinion for what it's worth :
I don't like any black tubes, regarless how good they sound.
If I go the tube way, it's because I like to see them glow.
Those tubes from Shuguang are extremely expensive, I hope they sound as good as they cost ?
I am sure many other tube manufaturers have tubes that sounds as good as the Shuguang and they cost a fraction of the price.
If you are an audiophools, I am in your club...
Guy 13.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 21 Sep 2010, 01:30 pm »

Hello Niteshade,
You always surprise me, two options of regulation is actually very interesting. Beautiful real wood case too.
This amp layout is very suited to a monoblock status, even with two outputs tubes.
Congratulations for one more great work of art.
Regards, Gustavo

>Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a cat or dog from the street. On the streets they live only two years average.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #7 on: 26 Sep 2010, 12:04 pm »
That wood is 125 year old American Chestnut. Very rare and beautiful. I like it for its warmth and it does have insect holes in it which provide character. I guess it tastes good too.  :)

I love classic configurations based primarily on vintage amps I have spent allot of time studying. If you want to learn about something, the best method is to go to the source. I was reading something about Scotch and the writer said if you want to know more about Scotch, take a trip down the whiskey trail in Scotland. I do not drink Scotch, but that suggestion is taken to hart with amplifiers: "If you want to learn about tube amplifiers, study the originals, study those who are best in their field." Just because a circuit is old does not mean it's golden. Only the positive impressions are retrieved. My circuits are 100% original and represent the best of what I have learned from 80+ years of technology. The art of design is NOT reinventing the wheel, but building on others' accomplishments to make a better product.

My favorite "Elmers" :
1] Stromberg Carlson
2] Fisher
3] Hammond
4] Rowe
5] Dukane
6] Magnavox
7] Revere (Wollensack)
8] Atwater Kent
9] Yaesu (hybrid technolgies)
10] Ameritron

Some are not old, but considered by me to be a leader in the specific aspect of technology I wish to study.

Berndt

« Reply #8 on: 26 Sep 2010, 04:19 pm »
I'd imagine that 6l6's sound similiar to 6v6's?
Edcor iron?

JDUBS

« Reply #9 on: 26 Sep 2010, 04:21 pm »
Blair, I love the retro look!  Awesome stuff.  :thumb:

-Jim

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #10 on: 26 Sep 2010, 11:01 pm »
I LOVE retro! It has a feel to it like nothing else. I admit, modern is nice too. Classic cars and electronics have always been close to my hart. Sometimes you want to drive a classic, others a new model works best!

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #11 on: 28 Sep 2010, 12:14 am »
Yes, a 6V6 does sound similar to  6L6. I enjoy the 6V6 because it's such a rugged tube and shares the late breakup properties of a 6L6. About half my models use Edcor iron. This amp does.

I'd imagine that 6l6's sound similiar to 6v6's?
Edcor iron?

Guy 13

« Reply #12 on: 28 Sep 2010, 10:31 am »
Yes, a 6V6 does sound similar to  6L6. I enjoy the 6V6 because it's such a rugged tube and shares the late breakup properties of a 6L6. About half my models use Edcor iron. This amp does.
Hi Blair and Audio Circle members.
Can you interchange the 6L6 directly for the 6V6 ?
If yes, which one give more power (Watts) with the same circuit ?
Thanks.
Guy 13.

Guy 13

« Reply #13 on: 28 Sep 2010, 10:40 am »
I LOVE retro! It has a feel to it like nothing else. I admit, modern is nice too. Classic cars and electronics have always been close to my hart. Sometimes you want to drive a classic, others a new model works best!
Hi Blair and Audio Circle members.
The only retro look I like is this below :

FORD THUNDERBIRD 1963
The most beautifull car ever built !

Have a nice day.
Guy 13.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #14 on: 28 Sep 2010, 11:00 am »
That's my mother's favorite car. Mine is the 1972 Oldsmobile 98:

The 6L6 can sub for a 6V6 but typically not the other way around. A 6V6 is higher impedance and uses lower plate voltage. If the 6V6 amp's heater current is too low, then you can not sub in 6L6's.