Bryston & Totem

1ZIP

Bryston & Totem
« on: 19 Sep 2010, 09:11 pm »
I thinking of upgrading the speakers for my second system (4B ST, B-60 pre-amp side and an Arcam CD36, Paradigm Studio 20's V3).  Does anyone have experience with Totems paired with Bryston gear?  The reviews on the Model 1 Signature seem to be fairly positive plus they are in the $2-3K range.  Looked at Harbeth's 7ES2  but at $3400 - 3700 it's a little pricey for a second system.

Zero

Re: Bryston & Totem
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2010, 09:53 pm »
I wouldn't do it.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2010, 10:20 pm »
I strongly recommend you try them first in your home before you buy them.  IMO you can do better for less, especially if you're looking at purchasing them new.

werd

« Reply #3 on: 19 Sep 2010, 10:50 pm »
Give them a try at home if possible. I think they would be really nice together. I have heard  both but not together. Totems image really nice with a good unlocalized bass. The SST/2 series would probably be better with them than the SST series.

GreatDane

« Reply #4 on: 19 Sep 2010, 11:23 pm »
Totem and Bryston are a great combination, in my opinion. I've spent many hours at home and at my local dealers place listening to every speaker in the Totem line on various Bryston gear. Most of the Totems sound quite different from each other, but they all sounded fantastic.

PierreB

« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2010, 12:12 am »
And also look at ProAc Response D1. I have the Response 1SC with my 2B SST and it,s a great combination.

94cdnm3

« Reply #6 on: 20 Sep 2010, 12:24 am »
I run my B-60 and 2b-lp combo into my Totem Arros supported by a Dreamcatcher sub with excellent results. My room size is small (~12x14) but the combo works extremely well with 3-D soundstage, great detail and musicality. I have owned my Bryston/Totem combo for ~10yrs with no desire to replace them.

With a budget of $2-3K I would look for a pair of Mani2's used and drive them with your B-60 & 4b-st in a bi-amp configuration. Just my 2 cents, I hope this helps.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #7 on: 20 Sep 2010, 01:50 am »
Bryston and Totem play very well together.  As mentioned, every Totem is different.  They design speakers as a line; they design them individually.  For example, the Sttaf isn't an Arro with the same drivers, just different size.

The Mani-2 is one of the best speakers I've ever heard, regardless of price.  But they need HUGE power behind them.  I wouldn't bet on the 4B being enough.  Seriously.  A friend had problems controlling them with a Mac 6900.

Totem isn't a brand that's a safe bet to buy blindly.  Get a demo of them first.  Just because you like the Hawk doesn't mean you'll like the Forest.

If I were to buy an Totem, it would probably be the Arro.  Best blend of easy to live with, sound quality, and price IMO.  Its got its limitations, but so does everything.

1ZIP

« Reply #8 on: 20 Sep 2010, 02:54 am »
All good information and advice, thanks.  I didn't realize that individual models differed as much is mentioned.  Got to give them all a listen.

GreatDane

« Reply #9 on: 20 Sep 2010, 01:10 pm »
Some Totems are quite easy to drive, other's (as mentioned) require ridiculous power. I've heard of Mani 2's actually driving a 4BSST into clipping.

To me the sweet spot in the Totem line are the Sttafs. They're one of the easiest to drive, warmest sounding and most affordable of the entire line.

The best sounding ones are the Mani-2's, if you have enough quality power. I spent some time comparing them to the top of line Winds on McIntosh 1kw monoblocs, and both my wife and I liked the Mani's much better.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #10 on: 20 Sep 2010, 02:06 pm »

1ZIP

« Reply #11 on: 20 Sep 2010, 05:56 pm »
I looked at the Totem web site and the fact they recommend 40 - 200W for the MANI's should have been a hint that they are power hungry,  It's interesting that Totem recommends a 200 - 300 hr. break-in time.  Interesting design though!

betamax

« Reply #12 on: 20 Sep 2010, 08:40 pm »
I was running some Hawks with Bryston and was happy with the sound, but I bought some PMC DB2i's and am even happier. The new PMC "i" models have a wonderful tweeter that's very articulate yet smooth. Definitely in your price range, so give them a listen if you can.

Zero

« Reply #13 on: 20 Sep 2010, 10:02 pm »
Hmm

I have to admit that I haven't encountered too many Totem / Bryston pairings that sounded decent to my ears. More times than not, I find that Totem's tilted up treble is at odds with Bryston's "tell it like it is" approach. This is particularly true with the Model 1 / Signature. To be honest, the only good demo I ever got from a Bryston/Totem system is when I paired a set of European-edition Mani-2 Signatures (different caps) with a B100 SST integrated. Sure, the speakers could have used a bit more juice, but the sound was pretty good.

Otherwise, I feel that most Totem's fair better with electronics from the likes of McIntosh, Accuphase, Naim, Blue Circle Audio, etc..  stuff with low damping and a bit of aural spice.  Conversely, I feel that Bryston can sound wonderful when paired with the likes of PMC, Dynaudio, System Audio, and Harbeth.

rob80b

« Reply #14 on: 20 Sep 2010, 10:53 pm »
I thinking of upgrading the speakers for my second system (4B ST, B-60 pre-amp side and an Arcam CD36, Paradigm Studio 20's V3).  Does anyone have experience with Totems paired with Bryston gear?  The reviews on the Model 1 Signature seem to be fairly positive plus they are in the $2-3K range.  Looked at Harbeth's 7ES2  but at $3400 - 3700 it's a little pricey for a second system.

Seeing both the Model 1 and Mani II incorporate Dynaudio drivers you may also want to look at the Dynaudio Focus and Contour lines.

Robert

1ZIP

« Reply #15 on: 23 Sep 2010, 04:38 pm »
FWIW:

I think I've ruled out the Totems.  Best step, I think, is probably to move the existing B&W 805N's to the second system and purchase a new pair of B&W 805D's for the primary system.  But we'll see how this works after an in-home audition.
Thanks all for the info and advice.

StigO

« Reply #16 on: 23 Sep 2010, 08:11 pm »
I use Bryston B100, DynAudio Focus140 and DynAudio sub300, sounds great  :thumb:

mkaiser

« Reply #17 on: 26 Sep 2010, 01:52 am »
I have enjoyed numerous Totem speakers with Bryston Electronics. I use my dealers old 4Bsst on the Hawks, Forest and Mani2 Signatures with great success. The 4b provides ample current for the Mani2 model as we never drove it into clipping with my experiences.
My personal fav was the Hawk Speaker with the 4b, man those little buggers sang  :D

All their speakers definately have their own sound signature so take the time to audition them thoroughly if you still planning to go this route. You may find that the best Totem speaker for you
is not the expensive one as i found out. So i wouldn't just rule them out because someone didn't have success with them... you are not them.

Enjoy the music.

-Mark

Stu Pitt

« Reply #18 on: 26 Sep 2010, 02:02 am »
All their speakers definately have their own sound signature so take the time to audition them thoroughly if you still planning to go this route. You may find that the best Totem speaker for you is not the expensive one as i found out. So i wouldn't just rule them out because someone didn't have success with them... you are not them.

Some of the best advice here and on any forum, especially the last line. 

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #19 on: 26 Sep 2010, 05:48 am »
agreed! :wink:

al.