My double blond listening test experience

RileyD

My double blond listening test experience
« on: 18 Sep 2010, 06:14 pm »
As a long time lurker I’ve noticed the ongoing flare ups over subjective listening  vs. objective measurement as valid system evaluation techniques.  After hearing some of Frank’s fan club mention the benefits of double blond testing, I decided to give it a try.

I learned that a double blond listening test is not easy to do – but can yield interesting results.  First you have to find two blondes to come home with you.  Only after mentioning how the 5 ½ inch woofer on my Biro L/1 actually performed like a 10 inch driver was I able to finally get two blonds to help me with the test.

I planned the first listening session would be with the two blonds.  With them positioned on either side of me, after about five minutes of trying to evaluate the music above their constant chatter, I tried to get them to listen carefully to the sound quality.  After suggesting that I play a track that was especially revealing in terms of bottom end articulation they abruptly left.

I then continued the listening test without them, and have reached a clear conclusion:  my system sounds much better without the double blonds than with the double blonds.

I’d like to thank all of you for helping me clear up this nagging issue.

ltr317

Re: My double blond listening test experience
« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep 2010, 07:05 pm »
Tried the test with either two brunettes or two redheads, or one blond and one brunette?

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2010, 07:08 pm »
As a long time lurker I’ve noticed the ongoing flare ups over subjective listening  vs. objective measurement as valid system evaluation techniques.  After hearing some of Frank’s fan club mention the benefits of double blond testing, I decided to give it a try.

I learned that a double blond listening test is not easy to do – but can yield interesting results.  First you have to find two blondes to come home with you.  Only after mentioning how the 5 ½ inch woofer on my Biro L/1 actually performed like a 10 inch driver was I able to finally get two blonds to help me with the test.

I planned the first listening session would be with the two blonds.  With them positioned on either side of me, after about five minutes of trying to evaluate the music above their constant chatter, I tried to get them to listen carefully to the sound quality.  After suggesting that I play a track that was especially revealing in terms of bottom end articulation they abruptly left.

I then continued the listening test without them, and have reached a clear conclusion:  my system sounds much better without the double blonds than with the double blonds.

I’d like to thank all of you for helping me clear up this nagging issue.

Riley,

Thanks for taking the time to post your impressions. Many folks never take the time to perform such tests.

However, it seems to me that maybe you're being just a tad impetuous. You have to break in the blondes for at least a few hours before really trying to get into the tunes. Partially filling the blondes with alcohol speeds up the break in process. It seems this needs to be done quite frequently, but can have consistently repeatable results.   :lol:

Great first post; welcome to AVA & AC,  :thumb:

Jerry

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2010, 07:51 pm »
Two blondes were on opposite sides of a canal. The first one called to the second one and said, "How do I get to the other side?"
"You're already on the other side", came the reply.

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2010, 08:13 pm »
Riley,

Agreed. I had 2 blonds over to analyze my system but they got so bored of the technical terms that they started to walk out of the room. Through the window, I spotted them making out and realised my system sounds better without them, but within sight!

rcag_ils

« Reply #5 on: 19 Sep 2010, 12:45 am »
It's so funny that I'll have to write this one down.

Minn Mark

« Reply #6 on: 20 Sep 2010, 03:54 pm »
Is it important in this double blond testing, that the carpet match the drapes??

What about "ear muffs" ?? 

Fondly wonderin',

Mark      :lol:

turkey

« Reply #7 on: 20 Sep 2010, 04:52 pm »
Double blond testing only works if they're matched within 0.1 dB. So you have to use identical twins.

Listens2tubes

« Reply #8 on: 20 Sep 2010, 11:07 pm »
Now we're getting somewhere. :lol: All we need are a pair of golden eared golden haired twins. :thumb: Simple, right? :scratch:

Ericus Rex

« Reply #9 on: 21 Sep 2010, 01:23 am »
Can we get some pics of the double blonds?   :D

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
« Reply #10 on: 21 Sep 2010, 02:44 am »
Is it important in this double blond testing, that the carpet match the drapes??

What about "ear muffs" ?? 

Fondly wonderin',

Mark      :lol:

Oh....  wow...  wish you hadn't said ear muffs... 

Uh... what was this thread about???

jhm731

« Reply #11 on: 21 Sep 2010, 03:52 am »
With two blonds sitting next to me, I'd have trouble thinking clearly with all the blood rushing to my lap. 8)

Minn Mark

« Reply #12 on: 21 Sep 2010, 02:48 pm »
Can we get some pics of the double blonds?   :D

PS-shamelessly stolen from a post in the Vinyl Circle - Best TT Sightings (Thanks to Toni Rambold).

jtsnead

« Reply #13 on: 21 Sep 2010, 03:05 pm »
the blond on the left looks shorter than the one on the right.

so you would have to use a booster seat so their ears are at the same height.

turkey

« Reply #14 on: 21 Sep 2010, 03:41 pm »
the blond on the left looks shorter than the one on the right.

so you would have to use a booster seat so their ears are at the same height.

Would a pair of booty pop panties accomplish the same thing?

Also, I always thought it was a double _bound_ test. Isn't that why they make those padded handcuffs and things?

I guess you could do a double bound blond test too. On the other hand, only preverts would do a double bound blind blond test.

jackman

« Reply #15 on: 21 Sep 2010, 03:43 pm »
Double Blond is my favorite kind of listening test!  Not to say I don't enjoy the double brunette or red-head.   Love the gingers.  :thumb:

jtsnead

« Reply #16 on: 21 Sep 2010, 04:55 pm »
also if that turntable was a man, what are they looking at?  :roll:

Listens2tubes

« Reply #17 on: 22 Sep 2010, 11:40 am »
The girls are looking at the turntable's logo

:lol: :lol: :lol:

TjMV3

« Reply #18 on: 23 Sep 2010, 12:31 pm »
Double Blonds cause a disinterest in the music and gear,  in that specific moment.

But that's just me :lol:

turkey

« Reply #19 on: 23 Sep 2010, 12:55 pm »
Double bond? I didn't know you guys were interested in chemistry.