SoundScapes Delivered!

fsimms

SoundScapes Delivered!
« on: 17 Sep 2010, 10:24 pm »
The Eagle has landed!   I got my new SoundScapes!  Here are some pictures:

The reason that the SoundScapes aren’t symmetrical is that I want to set up my HT1’s beside them to compare.  My friend Raj helped me unpack and helped me listen.  Raj has a pair of SongTowers.  After listening to the SoundScapes, I told Raj that I was going to compare them with the HT1’s.  He said: “Don’t even bother!”  He thought they were that much better!  I think that might be true, but I want to listen a good bit more before I make that assumption. 

I don’t even have the SoundScapes set up properly.  I will find the best position for them before I put on the spikes.  They are much easier to slide around without them.

They sound better in my room than they did in Jim’s home theater.  Maybe, it is because my room is much smaller. 

I can see why Jim said that the SoundScapes are hard to describe because they don’t have a sound.  The music is just there.

Bob

targa02

Re: Eagles and such
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2010, 10:31 pm »
Enjoy!!!  You are one lucky man!

I heard them at the CA Audio show and they were, IMHO, the best of show.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: SoundScapes Delivered!
« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2010, 11:11 pm »
Lookin' good  :thumb:  Hope the floors & walls are well insulated so you can let them sing. Enjoy, as I'm sure you will.   :D

Sonny

« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2010, 11:17 pm »
Beautiful speakers...heard the at the CA show...very nice, though I wish Jim was using something other than the squeeze box...I know it's convenient and all, but, vinyl would hav ebeen nice! 

So, how do you get to your VPI table?  Is it on a pull out shelf?

T

fsimms

« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2010, 11:30 pm »
So, how do you get to your VPI table?  Is it on a pull out shelf?

That is just temporary.  There is just enough clearance that I can snake a record through to the turntable.   After I do my comparison and finalize the SoundScape positions, I will mount the TV on the wall.  I then will have the top of the TV stand free to center my black turntable isolation platform on.  Then the turntable will be on the top.

Bob

mark funk

« Reply #5 on: 18 Sep 2010, 01:52 am »
COOL, I have not seen the SS live. There are four of those 12inch woofers, 2 per box with the 10inch woofer?

:smoke:

fsimms

« Reply #6 on: 18 Sep 2010, 02:38 am »
There are four of those 12inch woofers, 2 per box with the 10inch woofer?

Those are not 12” woofers.  They are 12” passive radiators.   They are just a cone with no drive coil and weights in the center.  They resonate like the port on a bass reflex cabinet.   The have advantages over a port.   The bass on the SoundScapes is like nothing that I have ever heard.  My amazment with these speakers just grows and grows.  :thumb:

Bob

Big Red Machine

« Reply #7 on: 18 Sep 2010, 02:56 am »
Driving them with the McCormack?

fsimms

« Reply #8 on: 18 Sep 2010, 03:03 am »
Driving them with the McCormack?

Yep the McCormack 225.  I have the feeling that they could use even more power.  The thing about the bass that is so amazing is the chrystal clarity of the bass.

Bob

Big Red Machine

« Reply #9 on: 18 Sep 2010, 03:10 am »
Everybody knows I'm a big amp lover so it will be interesting to see how much power you think these need after you live with them for a while.  I'm trying to evolve my system so it will be set up for these some day and I'll pay close attention.

Nuance

« Reply #10 on: 18 Sep 2010, 04:38 am »
Wow - those look amazing in your room, and I bet they sound darn good too. :)  Enjoy man!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #11 on: 18 Sep 2010, 06:17 am »
Look'in good...enjoy !! :beer:

Maybe, it is because my room is much smaller. 

What size is your room..... :scratch:

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
« Reply #12 on: 18 Sep 2010, 06:34 am »
Don't you just love the UPS/DHL delivery crew pics !!  :lol: :green:
Can you pls provide some listening impressions regarding :

1. Imaging precision
2. Soundstage width and depth
3. Overall coherence
4. Tone/character

ty Bob.

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #13 on: 18 Sep 2010, 11:59 am »
Bob
the speakers look fantastic. Would love the hear your impressions after some listening time. I am looking for speakers and would be interested in other ones you listened to before landing on the Soundscapes.

Congratulations!!!!! :thumb:

PS from the photos of the delivery I sure hope you are on good terms with your neighbors or that they have the same tastes in music because I think they will be getting an earful.

Crank them up :D

fsimms

« Reply #14 on: 18 Sep 2010, 12:14 pm »
What size is your room.....

I have 2 rooms that open into each other to form one larger room.  One room is 17 x14 and the other is 16 x 11. 

Bob

fsimms

« Reply #15 on: 18 Sep 2010, 12:37 pm »
Can you pls provide some listening impressions regarding :

1. Imaging precision
2. Soundstage width and depth
3. Overall coherence
4. Tone/character

Would love to hear your impressions after some listening time.

I haven’t even really set them up.  I plan to do a full review in a couple of weeks after I have had a chance to set them up properly and do a proper review.   Already though, they are surpassing my wildest expectations for imaging, tone, bass, clarity and excitement.

I am looking for speakers and would be interested in other ones you listened to before landing on the Soundscapes.

I have been to the RMAF in 2007 and 2008 and heard most of the stuff out there.  I have heard the Vandy 5A several times.  I am fairly confident that they don’t have an equal anywhere near their price.  The trounce most of the stuff much higher than their price. YMMV

Bob

R Swerdlow

« Reply #16 on: 18 Sep 2010, 06:19 pm »
Congratulations Bob!!  Those some fine, fine looking speakers.  :thumb:

I can see why Jim said that the SoundScapes are hard to describe because they don’t have a sound.  The music is just there.

I've heard them, and that is probably the best way to describe their sound.

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #17 on: 19 Sep 2010, 05:57 pm »
Lookin' good Bob.  I have that same TV stand in my basement HT setup!

fsimms

« Reply #18 on: 19 Sep 2010, 08:55 pm »
I have that same TV stand in my basement HT setup!

It is a great stand. It is very well built and didn’t break the bank.  It has allowed me to consolidate my stuff from two racks into only one.

Speaking of well built, I can’t get over how well my new SoundScapes are built!  Incredible job Jim!

Bob

AliG

« Reply #19 on: 22 Sep 2010, 01:40 pm »
Bob, you  never told me you bought a Dodd??? :icon_twisted: :thumb: