Bound for Sound

Eric

Bound for Sound
« on: 15 Sep 2010, 09:45 pm »
Marty D reviewed quite a few vintage components in the most recent issue of BFS. His reflections on vintage and current equipment was facinating. Recommend the read.

Mortsnets

Re: Bound for Sound
« Reply #1 on: 15 Sep 2010, 10:59 pm »
Just started my subscription, and enjoyed the vintage reviews too.  Do you know what speakers is he using to evaluate the vintage gear?

GBB

« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2010, 12:56 am »
Just started my subscription, and enjoyed the vintage reviews too.  Do you know what speakers is he using to evaluate the vintage gear?

I'm a subscriber and I also enjoy the journey he's taking into vintage gear. Anyone interested in vintage should consider subscribing. You'll hear about more gear than most of us would have the time to sample.  Details on bound for sound can be found at http://www.boundforsound.com/ .

I've exchanged quite a few messages with Marty.  He's quite friendly and happy to chat via email. He can be reached at bfshifi at comcast.net
Why not send him a note and ask him about his speakers?  He also posts on this site occasionally under the user name MGDeWulf. 

---Gary

SlushPuppy

« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2010, 01:09 am »
Marty is one of the best.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2010, 01:12 am »

He doesn't update his website as often as I'd like, but this is what he had this past February:

http://www.boundforsound.com/rig_text.htm

Take that list with a grain of salt. In his own words:
"it could change the next day (and sometime it does)"

starkiller

« Reply #5 on: 18 Sep 2010, 04:00 am »
Eric

Well, because of you i went and subscribed :)  lst copy has already been shipped so we shall see.....

Mortsnets

« Reply #6 on: 19 Sep 2010, 09:08 pm »
I emailed Marty as suggested and he replied regarding the speakers used on the vintage reviews:

"The speakers I've been using are a pair of vintage Jensen Model 15s that I rebuilt (new
wire, new caps and re-foamed) and a pair of Silverline laFolias."

Eric

« Reply #7 on: 20 Sep 2010, 05:32 pm »
Marty is a good guy and a staright shooter. Most of the components in my current system are there because of his reviews (Sas 11A preamp, Monarchy SE-250 monos, ACI Jaguars, RWA interconnects). The thing I like about Marty is that he experiments with the components durng the review. So you come away knowing their strengths and weaknesses and which implmentation shows them off the best.

MGDeWulf

« Reply #8 on: 21 Sep 2010, 01:25 am »
Hi Craig:

Thanks for the PM about the guys wondering what speakers I used to review the vintage gear.  Last year at about this time I bought a pair of Jensen Model 15s off of CL.  Real basket cases, not only did they not play they looked horrible.  But for $11 I didn't expect much. I restored them from the bottom up with new hook up wire, 400 volt Solen caps, refoamed woofer and lower mid driver and replacement Jensen tweeters.  I made speaker terminals out of nuts and bolts from Farm King and I moved the terminals from under the speaker to the back about half way up.  I think the 400 volt Solens were a good move.  I experimented with some much more expensive caps with lower voltage ratings and the headroom provided with the high voltage caps was really audible - more audible than going to the the expensive, artsy caps.  After many attempts to get the tonal balance just right with the two tone controls on each speaker, I got everything exactly where I wanted it tonally - a beautiful transition between the bass and mid bass.  Thanks for the heads up. - Marty

Hello Eric:

Good to hear from you again - your system must sound killer.  Getting into the vintage gear over the last year has really made this hobby FUN again for me.  I'm still covering new gear, but with the vintage alternative, I'm no longer hunting for new review components all the time.  I'm being much more picky about what I take in for review and if the manufacturer doesn't like something, I send him packin'.

What I really like about some of the vintage gear is that many of the circuits are just as innovative as anything being used today, but they didn't have the hardware and parts we have today.  Updating some of the old gear with new caps, resistors and diodes can turn a sleepy old Pioneer 9500 into a real runner.  I updated an old Kenwood KA 8300 recently and sometimes I can't quite believe what I'm hearing after about three weeks burn-in.  There's so much to talk about...

Good listening,
Marty 

Eric

« Reply #9 on: 21 Sep 2010, 08:32 pm »
Marty,

What have you found to be the best source for Vintage gear. I have an old Pioneer Sx-1180 sitting around. I might play with cleaning it up and seeing how it sounds in my system

MGDeWulf

« Reply #10 on: 22 Sep 2010, 05:28 pm »
Vintage gear is becoming more and more scarce.  A good place to find it is at estate sales if you are looking for exotic stuff.  Craig's list and e-bay are also good places to look for selection, but it's hit and miss as to the quality of the pieces.  Fortunately for me, there is an audio store in Peoria, IL that has been open since the late fifties and they have a superb selection of quality vintage pieces that I have been able to borrow for review no strings attached - way better than getting gear from manufacturers... 70s electronics are simply amazing.

A pioneer SX-1180?  I'm not familiar with that piece, but by the number and how Pioneer generally does things, it's probably a big one.  (Does the tuner have a digital readout?)

Marty

starkiller

« Reply #11 on: 22 Sep 2010, 05:34 pm »
Marty

Emailed you some feedback concerning your last issue :)

alan

Eric

« Reply #12 on: 22 Sep 2010, 06:12 pm »

A pioneer SX-1180?  I'm not familiar with that piece, but by the number and how Pioneer generally does things, it's probably a big one.  (Does the tuner have a digital readout?)

Marty

It is actually a SX-1080 (I mis-typed). It is the old-style tuner with a bar that rund acrossed the tuner face and is "quartz locked". It is a big one . Here is a link to a picture and specs

http://www.classicaudio.com/value/pio/SX1080.html

TONEPUB

« Reply #13 on: 22 Sep 2010, 06:32 pm »
It's not so much finding the vintage gear, there's still a ton of it available.  It's finding a good tech to either put it back in shape or keep it running properly.  There are only a few guys out there depending on the brand of gear you are interested in.

If you've got your heart set on a particular vintage piece, I suggest checking the service angle first.  It's just like a vintage car in a lot of ways, a good mechanic can make or break the purchase.

MGDeWulf

« Reply #14 on: 22 Sep 2010, 08:49 pm »
It is actually a SX-1080 (I mis-typed). It is the old-style tuner with a bar that rund acrossed the tuner face and is "quartz locked". It is a big one . Here is a link to a picture and specs

http://www.classicaudio.com/value/pio/SX1080.html

Beautiful!!!!  With a little work it should sound fantastic.

Marty

MGDeWulf

« Reply #15 on: 22 Sep 2010, 08:51 pm »
Marty

Emailed you some feedback concerning your last issue :)

alan

Hi Alan:
Thanks for the nice and insightful comments.  Letters such as yours are truly helpful.
Marty

starkiller

« Reply #16 on: 22 Sep 2010, 09:04 pm »
Marty

Thanks and keep up the good work :D

mrbruce

« Reply #17 on: 2 Oct 2010, 08:04 pm »
I've been a subscriber to BFS for several years and enjoy, as well as respect, Marty's writing.
I bought VMPS RM40s, without listening to them, based on his review a number of years ago.  It was only a very few issues after my subscription started, but I already trusted his opinion.  Couldn't be happier with them.

The recent issue, with reviews of several vintage pieces, confirms my amateur opinion that some of the vintage equipment is an outstanding value.

I expect to always be a subscriber!

Bruce

GBB

and now on the web
« Reply #18 on: 10 Oct 2010, 03:56 pm »
Marty has updated the website so that this issue's overview on Vintage gear can be read online.  Presumably this is done to draw more people in, so pass the word.  Take a look here:
http://boundforsound.com/currIssue.htm

and photographs of some of the equipment can also be found.  This page has photos from the previous issue (201) and the current issue (202/203) so scroll down to find the pictures that go with the article.

http://boundforsound.com/issue_201-pics.htm

---Gary