550 EXR with Dynaudio 1.3SE, need some info.

sbfx

« on: 28 Feb 2004, 11:06 am »
Hi,

I want to know how would this amp fare with the dynaudio 1.3SE, Im using a Anthem AVM20 as a preamp.

I visited www.avahifi.com but couldn’t find detailed specs on it, I wanted to know the Power Specs into 4OHM's, Dampening Factor, and the Slew Rate of the amp if possible.

Also I just want to be reassured that the 550 EXR will drive the Dyns comfortably?

Thanks,
Satyam

John B

« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2004, 01:39 pm »
Satyam,

I was over at my friends place a couple of weeks ago to listen to my old rig, which he bought last year.    He's driving Dynaudio Special 25's with the non-R version of the 350 Fet Valve amp, to perfection if my ears are any judge.  Have absolutely no fear, the R-Version off the 550 is way more than enough to bring out the best the 1.3SE has to offer.

sbfx

« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2004, 03:54 pm »
John B,

Thanks for the reply, I feel more comfortable knowing that your friend was driving the Special 25's with the 350.

I guess I shouldn’t worry about my 1.3SE with the 550EXR.

Satyam.

jackman

« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2004, 04:08 pm »
Just to add to the discussion,  I have listened to the Special 25's (anniversary 25's) with the 550EXR/T7R and they sounded amazing.  The amp could drive these speakers to lease-breaking/peace-bond (when the neighbors call the cops) levels.  Neither the amp nor the speakers flinched.  It was probably the most SPL's my house has ever seen.  I could not believe the bass coming from these little speakers!  

I don't think the 550 or the 350 would have a problem with the 1.3's or any speakers that I have ever tried for that matter.  The sound from the 25's was open, detailed and POWERFUL.  

J

HChi

« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2004, 06:05 am »
Since 25th is the 'new' design, I believe they are easier to drive compare some previous models.  I conversed with Frank a few times before and vaguely remembered he mentioned some AVA users use 550EX(R) to drive a pair of Dyn C3.  If a pair of C3 can be driven by 550EX(R), 1.3SE should be a piece of cake.  However, please double check with Frank though!  Whether the final sound synergy will be your cup of tea, you may just need to try it out yourself.  Good luck!

wreilly

« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2004, 11:29 am »
I am using the EXR 550 to drive the Aerial LR5, This amp seems to have no limits and the LR5 is every bit as difficult to drive. Don't worry.

Manuel

I own Dyn 1.3SE + 350Ex
« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2004, 06:24 pm »
Hi, no problem at all, you can kill a chicken 150 feet  far from the woofers :lol:
I used to drive my Dyns 1.3SE with a 350Ex (non R) poweramp and I´ve never missed more punch, this amp drives them OK, and I´m sure it can drive any speaker with a nominal impedance over 2 ohm!
These two ideas are from FVA, and he is totally right.

You must know that these small bastards (1.3SE) need a lot of space from the rear and side walls, they need air to breethe.
Now my wife has said that Dyns are too fat and very ugly etc etc  so I will move to Magnepans  :lol: not so fat ... will she say they are too tall? sure.

The amp has tons of current to move Dynaudios and Magnepans, don´t worry about that.