Toslink Cable

ZLS

Toslink Cable
« on: 14 Sep 2010, 12:18 am »
    A Question; I am contemplating buying a DAC that uses a Toslink Connection. 

Does anyone here have any experiences or recommendations for a Toslink cable to run from my Imac to the DAC? 

Thanks

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: Toslink Cable
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2010, 12:20 am »
I got a bunch of these from monoprice, they work great and are pretty reasonable.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022901&p_id=2763&seq=1&format=2
they have a bunch of different lengths available

Photon46

« Reply #2 on: 14 Sep 2010, 12:59 am »
If you're looking for the best quality data transfer, I'd recommend spending a little more for a glass toslink rather than the cheaper plastic toslinks. Ebay has sellers that are moving them for $20 or so for a one meter length. I bought one of these several years ago and it sounded just as good as my Stereovox bnc/bnc cable when used between my Marantz Sa11S1 and Assemblage 2.7 dac.

srb

« Reply #3 on: 14 Sep 2010, 01:09 am »
You might find it interesting to read what Lifatec, a German optical fiber and cable manufacturer, has to say about Glass vs. Plastic fiber optic cables for audio use:

http://www.lifatec.com/toslink4.html

Steve

Crimson

« Reply #4 on: 14 Sep 2010, 03:43 am »
Z,

'They' say distance matters with optical; neither too short nor too long. What length do you require?

J

silver_strings

« Reply #5 on: 14 Sep 2010, 04:47 am »
Plastic or glass it doesn't matter, what matters is that is that the tip has a big surface area to let in as much as the light in as is possible and that the tip is as close to the light source, I've tested a few cables

ebay glass cable (sonicwave)
monoprice toslink cables
Dayton glass cable
Choseal plastic cable

They were all 6ft. The best ones were the dayton glass toslink cables and the choseal plastic toslink cable, which I received for free with a dac I bought, the brand was choseal but there was no model number on the cable.

I also own mini to toslink cable by choseal and it sounds very good but I've only compared it to the monoprice mini to toslink , the choseal is alot better.

What the two best ones had in common was that they had the largest surface tip area and also the tips were were a little more extended than the other ones so they were closer to the optical source and receiver.

I hear the lifatec glass cables are pretty good but I've never tried them.

ZLS

« Reply #6 on: 14 Sep 2010, 11:09 am »
    Thank you Gentlemen; This is exactly what I was looking for. 

Photon46

« Reply #7 on: 14 Sep 2010, 07:20 pm »
Interesting to see that Lifatec has addressed prior deficiencies in plastic optical cables. There's no reason that modern plastics shouldn't perform as well as glass if manufactured with attention to quality.