Westinghouse WL5670...wow!!

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Westinghouse WL5670...wow!!
« on: 13 Sep 2010, 06:17 pm »
I order this tube from tube depot ($7.95 + shipping), the description says "various brands" and the picture was of a Sylvania tube, the package comes today with a dingy little orange and blue box that looks like it came from under a mound of old oil stained rags from the corner mechanics shop, old dusty tube with obviously aged pins so I figure "oh well I got burnt" then I plugged it in my tube DAC...WOW!!!! I've read about holographic like imaging, 3 dimensional soundstage etc..but this little baby just smokes everything else I've tried so far...hahaha!!! The box says "Westinghouse Reliatron Tube" and one side has an ad for Westinghouse TV Picture Tubes on it....what a great little find... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

R_burke

Re: Westinghouse WL5670...wow!!
« Reply #1 on: 13 Sep 2010, 07:19 pm »
There's a whole bunch more to try if you haven't already

WE 396A
Bendix RedBank 6385

Both of these are excellent, but very pricey

Do a search on 2C51 or 396A and you'll find lots of different tubes and different sound characteristics

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 13 Sep 2010, 07:23 pm »
I have a WE396A but never heard of the Bendix, thanks!!! I'll check it out... :thumb:

djn

« Reply #3 on: 30 Sep 2010, 06:10 pm »
Which DAC???  My DAC can use the WE 396A.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 30 Sep 2010, 06:26 pm »
Mine is Grant Fidelity Tube DAC-09.

djn

« Reply #5 on: 1 Oct 2010, 11:51 am »
I'll have to look into this tube.  Mine is the Marerick D1 which I think is similar to yours.

putz

« Reply #6 on: 3 Oct 2010, 03:27 am »
I order this tube from tube depot ($7.95 + shipping), the description says "various brands" and the picture was of a Sylvania tube, the package comes today with a dingy little orange and blue box that looks like it came from under a mound of old oil stained rags from the corner mechanics shop, old dusty tube with obviously aged pins so I figure "oh well I got burnt" then I plugged it in my tube DAC...WOW!!!! I've read about holographic like imaging, 3 dimensional soundstage etc..but this little baby just smokes everything else I've tried so far...hahaha!!! The box says "Westinghouse Reliatron Tube" and one side has an ad for Westinghouse TV Picture Tubes on it....what a great little find... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

What other tubes have you tried so far?

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 3 Oct 2010, 03:38 am »
WE396A...thats the best tube I've found so far, and this Westinghouse WL5670...if your limited to grabbing one I suggest the WE396A. The GE5670 is also good, I found Shugang, Sylvania and RCA on ebay...get a bunch and play with them to see what you like.

ltr317

« Reply #8 on: 3 Oct 2010, 05:01 am »
WE396A...thats the best tube I've found so far, and this Westinghouse WL5670...if your limited to grabbing one I suggest the WE396A. The GE5670 is also good, I found Shugang, Sylvania and RCA on ebay...get a bunch and play with them to see what you like.

Ed,

You got the earlier WE396A square getter from me, and not the later halo getter.  I think the square getters are sightly better sounding. 

Paul

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 3 Oct 2010, 12:30 pm »
Ed,

You got the earlier WE396A square getter from me, and not the later halo getter.  I think the square getters are sightly better sounding. 

Paul
Thats the one^^

djn

« Reply #10 on: 3 Oct 2010, 02:49 pm »
I am having a hard time finding the WE square getter.  Any suggestions?