I am Ready for Class D, but which one? Spectron Nuforce Hypex comparison

JP78

As a manufacturer, who has built products with both ICEpower, and Hypex, I would advise going with Hypex. Lots of reasons, but for someone who wants to futz with one, the ICEPower are not conducive to futzing. Removing parts from their PCBs is not fun. Hypex is more in-line with a DIY approach, whereas ICEpower is more of an industrial outfit. Besides, they don't sell to hobbyists.

Pat

Thanks for your posts. I was under the impression the original poster was looking for a ready-made product; if I misunderstood my apologies.

hum4god

just for clarification:

i am looking at anything Class D , ready-made would be easiest, but it is sometimes not hard to find a builder to put together an "established / approved"  kit.

malcolm

John Casler

just for clarification:

i am looking at anything Class D , ready-made would be easiest, but it is sometimes not hard to find a builder to put together an "established / approved"  kit.

malcolm

Hi Malcom,

I don't think it out of line to mention that NuFORCE allows you to audition (through a dealer) their Ref 9 and Multi-Channel amps without purchase.  All you commit to is return shipping.

If that is helpful. (I didn't read all the way through this thread and sorry if this has already been mentioned)

doug s.

• makin' music
just for clarification:

malcolm
malcolm, check your pm...

best,

doug s.

bummrush

I think now on Agon a Spectron for what looks good  and a good price,probably be worth a try

JDUBS

malcolm, did you decide on using your DEQX and actively triamping?  I think what I outlined should get you there with your sub.

If not, how are you using your DEQX?

-Jim

hum4god

Hi

thanks doug for the new photo.

bummrush, the spectron on agon is an older model and as such not of interest.

Jim, at this time i am not using the full potential of the DEQX .
 i use it only for bi amping and dac function. and some eq in the highs and lows , which is very convenient .

i played w/ the idea of selling it but it seems that the cost for a new dac + crossover and preamp would be about the same as staying w/ the DEQX.

i am also still considering triamping the danley sm60f , and your suggestion would certainly work, but , would also be quiet expensive as i would have to use multiple amps.

as an alternative i thought about using the passive crossover in the danley between the mid and tweet (coax) , and tri amp w/ digital crossover between the
 sub
danley sm60f  bass
mid. tweet (coax)

i have opened the danley and taken a look at the crossover and its not too complex , nevertheless , i am still not sure how that option would work .
can i use the xover in the danley just for the coax , and feed the mid w/ a separate amp w/  deqx crossover ?

and ultimately i do ask myself if it is worth all the trouble tri or quadruple amping , the cost the space , the complexity ....

or if the passive crossover in the danley sm60f is actually good enough to not hear a significant difference vs. active .
it seems tom danley knows what he is doing and i remember reading somewhere that he does not favor the active version w/dsp of his speakers before the passive. as far as i remember he just says that they sound different but not that one betters the other.

malcolm

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Cherry?
« Reply #47 on: 3 Oct 2010, 12:30 am »
In case you're interested, there is a Cherry jr amp on Agon now with upgraded XLRs and output filters (only one day left):
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?ampsmult&1286163971
Start price is $1850.  In your range?

Here are a few reviews that might be interesting...

Cherry PLUS review in Stereo Times:
http://www.stereotimes.com/amp093010.shtml

Cherry jr review in Affordable Audio:
http://www.affordableaudio.org/aa2010-09.pdf

-Tommy

jhm731

I've heard the Spectron and Digital Amp Company, IMO, the TacT is a better sounding amp.

hum4god

JHM,

in what context did you listen to the tact / spectron/ cherry ?

do you use a tact amp now?

jhm731

JHM,

in what context did you listen to the tact / spectron/ cherry ?

do you use a tact amp now?

I tried the TacT, Spectron and DAC amps with a TacT RCS 2.2XP. My TacT S2150 always came out on top.

I'm now using active speakers, so I don't need a separate power amp. If I needed a separate power amp, I'd try to find a TacT Millennium Mk3.

Freo-1

i'm looking at a Rowland Model 102.  Any feedback on that unit?

cloudbaseracer

In the price range you are looking you may want to check out a used NAD M2.  It will give you the DAC function as well as the power amp.  Everyone says the sound is stellar.

Good Luck,

James

Big Red Machine

i'm looking at a Rowland Model 102.  Any feedback on that unit?

I had 201's once and they only did the midrange well.  Not sure how to extrapolate 102 sound from that.

Freo-1

I had 201's once and they only did the midrange well.  Not sure how to extrapolate 102 sound from that.

The 102's have a  later generation B&O ICE module.  It's suposed to be an improvemnt over the 201, which is an eariler ICE model.

mamba315

I tried the TacT, Spectron and DAC amps with a TacT RCS 2.2XP. My TacT S2150 always came out on top.

Which DAC amp did you try?

Charles Xavier

Hi Malcom,

I don't think it out of line to mention that NuFORCE allows you to audition (through a dealer) their Ref 9 and Multi-Channel amps without purchase.  All you commit to is return shipping.

If that is helpful. (I didn't read all the way through this thread and sorry if this has already been mentioned)

You know me not to turn down an invite .I jumped on the offer and a pair of Ref 9's arrived today :thumb:

John Casler

You know me not to turn down an invite .I jumped on the offer and a pair of Ref 9's arrived today :thumb:

Let's hope they light up those new monitors well :wink:

tcsubwoofer

Hum4god, did you ever end up making your amp purchase?  This thread has been interesting in that I too am trying to decide on which digital amp to buy in the next few months.  The Cherry Amp seems to be top of my list right now, but am still open to anything.  I have two sets of speakers I will want to power as I decide which will be my main speaker - one set running at 86db and the other at 90 db sensitivity.  I'd like a really good amp to bring out the virtues of either speaker.

turkey

I don't know if there are really audible differences between high quality Class D amps (like Hypex and DAC, just to name 2), but I can say that the Tripath-based amps I've heard have sounded pretty awful, as did the NuForce stuff.