I am Ready for Class D, but which one? Spectron Nuforce Hypex comparison

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
I don't know if there are really audible differences between high quality Class D amps (like Hypex and DAC, just to name 2), but I can say that the Tripath-based amps I've heard have sounded pretty awful, as did the NuForce stuff.
Can you be more specific?  Awful in what way?

-Tommy O

turkey

Can you be more specific?  Awful in what way?

The highs were harsh and kind of grainy or something. I didn't do any controlled testing, so these are just my impressions of them. They didn't seem to warrant further attention on my part.

I've heard some Hypex-based amps and thought they were quite decent. I heard one of your 4800A amps a while back and it also seemed to be quite competent.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
 I am a tube man. Recently at a Rave meeting I got a chance to hear The Cherry Amp. To be honest I was NOT thrilled about a non tubed amp. Well needsless to say I was IMPRESSED. Played through Dali Helicons it tightened up everything with better focus and slam. The bass improved dramatically. The topend which I am VERY critical of wasa pleasany surprise. Very naural.
   No SS sound No tube sound just good ol plain musical presentation. Built in USA, great customer support and the owner a hell of a nice guy. All in all a very good product. Highly reccomended.

charles

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
I am a tube man. Recently at a Rave meeting I got a chance to hear The Cherry Amp. To be honest I was NOT thrilled about a non tubed amp. Well needsless to say I was IMPRESSED. Played through Dali Helicons it tightened up everything with better focus and slam. The bass improved dramatically. The topend which I am VERY critical of wasa pleasany surprise. Very naural.
   No SS sound No tube sound just good ol plain musical presentation. Built in USA, great customer support and the owner a hell of a nice guy. All in all a very good product. Highly reccomended.

charles

Charles,

Thanks for your kind words.  We offer the best of both worlds as far as SS and tubes.  Glad to hear you liked the Cherry PLUS.

-Tommy O

doug s.

• makin' music
another shameless plug here for a home-brew hypex ucd180 amp in a plain black metal box.  i had an offer of $350 shipped, but i was hoping for a bit more.  (am i being overly greedy?)  parts cost alone is ~$600...  i have pics/further details if anyone's interested.

doug s.