My horns.

fu_man

My horns.
« on: 12 Sep 2010, 10:00 am »
Firstly...  if this is the wrong circle.. sorry...someone please redirect me!

I haven't been round the Audio Circle for quite some time but a recent post to Vinnie at RWA reminded me that I never posted pics of my front horn project.  A lot of kind folk gave me direction when i was getting these together so these pics are a  thank you.  (the horns are not really full  range as i  use  TBI  subs for the bottom end... in  fact the TBIs  don't quite go high enough so one day i will afford a new  solution.  BD  design hopefully)
The horns are  inspired by BD Design Oris horns, and aesthetically the AG solos.  The actual fibre glass horns were DIY by a friend locally, the drivers are AER  BD3's.   
I ran these with an Omega RWA Sig 30, which inspired the finish for the horns. My Sig  got  sick so  have been running the horns with 2 watts from an Ecofan  45 SET.  Preamp is a DEQX. Cables are the fantastic  "Antipodes Audio" , often available on Audiogon. (no financial interest!)

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
Re: My horns.
« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2010, 01:32 pm »
Those look like a lot of fun  :thumb:  Can you post a picture of the front and the back?

Bemopti123

« Reply #2 on: 12 Sep 2010, 01:52 pm »
They absolutely look like a b-stard child of a Avante Garde solos.  I like it. 

How did your friend go about the fiber glass cone material or what else did he use to produce the horn?  Is it doable?

How is the sound signature?

fu_man

« Reply #3 on: 13 Sep 2010, 12:17 pm »
Those look like a lot of fun  :thumb:  Can you post a picture of the front and the back?
thanks, here's a couple more pics:

fu_man

« Reply #4 on: 13 Sep 2010, 12:26 pm »
They absolutely look like a b-stard child of a Avante Garde solos.  I like it. 

How did your friend go about the fiber glass cone material or what else did he use to produce the horn?  Is it doable?
How is the sound signature?

resolution, transparency, and effortless dynamics. :wink:
the horn is fibreglass, formed over a mold he made ... endless hours of  sanding... yes it's 'doable'  but would I do it??? ... honestly no... I would buy from BD Design!

skeeter99

« Reply #5 on: 13 Sep 2010, 07:43 pm »
Dang those are sweet looking! You really don't get the image of how big those are until the last picture. They look very Danish Modern in design ... Very very cool! Do you have any pics of the whole setup how you see it when you're listening?

nunhgrader

« Reply #6 on: 13 Sep 2010, 08:38 pm »
Those sure look awesome!

fu_man

« Reply #7 on: 14 Sep 2010, 01:36 am »
Dang those are sweet looking! You really don't get the image of how big those are until the last picture. They look very Danish Modern in design ... Very very cool! Do you have any pics of the whole setup how you see it when you're listening?

thanks  guys  for your  positive comments.
  Actually i don't have a photo of them  set up  because  they  were surrounded  by a fence!  My son  lasted  2 minutes in one of those play pens things..  so i  pulled it apart and fenced off the end of the living room instead! As shown is close to  the  setup,  with the  front  speaker  pulled forward and rotated, (oh  yes they rotate which  adjusts the height up to about   18 inches. ) You can see the TBI subs in the  background in a  stand I made for them.