nikon

in car turntable
« on: 10 Sep 2010, 11:42 am »
in car turntable from the sixties ...

what will they think of next  :o

BrysTony

Re: in car turntable
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2010, 12:26 pm »
Wow -- that's one I had never heard about.  Here is an interesting article about how it came about.  http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Accessories/HiWay/invent.htm

1oldguy

« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2010, 01:01 pm »
Quick ......Swerve  Man ,Swerve.....For God's sake there's a pot hole up ahead. :thankyou:

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2010, 02:54 pm »
What does one do on a hot summer day if they park the car?  Carry the records around? :duh:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2010, 03:19 pm »
It's just a fad - I predict it will be gone in a few years :D

james

werd

« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2010, 03:30 pm »
That is styling. Too good to be true ....  :D  :icon_lol:

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2010, 04:32 pm »
I had a reel to reel in my 70 Nova SS.

Wayner  8)

2bigears

« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2010, 05:24 pm »
 :D  a R-R in your SS is hard core Wayner.i had a 70 Chev Nova SS 396-375hp 4 speed.did you have a big block ??  :D

1ZIP

« Reply #8 on: 10 Sep 2010, 05:44 pm »
I wonder if the gloves came with it...don't want to spoil the sound with greasy fingerprints! :)

Wayner

« Reply #9 on: 10 Sep 2010, 06:06 pm »
:D  a R-R in your SS is hard core Wayner.i had a 70 Chev Nova SS 396-375hp 4 speed.did you have a big block ??  :D

I had a 350 in mine, 4 speed on the floor. Fast on take off, but not the top end.

Wayner

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #10 on: 10 Sep 2010, 07:47 pm »
I had a reel to reel in my 70 Nova SS.

Wayner  8)

Are you serious?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #11 on: 10 Sep 2010, 08:01 pm »
Are you serious?

Actually Dave ... Wayner meant to say he had a Reel to Reel with a Chevy Nova attachment :D

James

Wayner

« Reply #12 on: 10 Sep 2010, 09:30 pm »
Yep! It was an AIWA model that was portable and besides running on AC and batteries, there was the handy 12vdc jack. It took 7" reels, was 1/4 track and played at 3 3/4 and 7 1/2 IPS. The only hassle was when it was time to flip the reels over, as I had to pull over. I made a make-shift mount on the far side of the hump, but the shifter ran pretty close to the deck.

Ah, those were the days.

Wayner  8)

rob80b

« Reply #13 on: 10 Sep 2010, 11:05 pm »
Yep! It was an AIWA model that was portable and besides running on AC and batteries, there was the handy 12vdc jack. It took 7" reels, was 1/4 track and played at 3 3/4 and 7 1/2 IPS. The only hassle was when it was time to flip the reels over, as I had to pull over. I made a make-shift mount on the far side of the hump, but the shifter ran pretty close to the deck.

Ah, those were the days.

Wayner  8)

And thus was born the "8 track"!

Robert

vegasdave

« Reply #14 on: 11 Sep 2010, 09:01 pm »

Ah, those were the days.

Wayner  8)

Nice! How was the sound?

Wayner

« Reply #15 on: 11 Sep 2010, 09:57 pm »
Better then 8-track or cassette, and not as noisy as FM. In the old  days, performance cars had bad FM reception due to the spark plugs. Tic,  tic, tic. But the Aiwa was run battery direct, so no noise problem. I  was driving around town listening to Dark Side of the Moon and  Supertramp, Crime of the Century. It was pretty fun.

When I had the deck in the car and had a passenger, it was a bit cramped  for him (or her) as things went on. If I was on a date, the deck came  out. I grew up with that reel to reel, recording many songs off the  Kenwood receiver that I had at the time (22 watts per channel) so this  thread is bringing back many memories. I also did lots of radio/speaker  installs for my friends and their cars. I always went to the battery for  power.

Wayner  8)

jakelieb

« Reply #16 on: 11 Sep 2010, 10:18 pm »
Can you say WOW .......... & flutter!!!!

I remembered reading about this a long time ago.  I think it was before cd's.

jakelieb

« Reply #17 on: 11 Sep 2010, 10:23 pm »

vegasdave

« Reply #18 on: 11 Sep 2010, 10:52 pm »
Better then 8-track or cassette, and not as noisy as FM. In the old  days, performance cars had bad FM reception due to the spark plugs. Tic,  tic, tic. But the Aiwa was run battery direct, so no noise problem. I  was driving around town listening to Dark Side of the Moon and  Supertramp, Crime of the Century. It was pretty fun.

When I had the deck in the car and had a passenger, it was a bit cramped  for him (or her) as things went on. If I was on a date, the deck came  out. I grew up with that reel to reel, recording many songs off the  Kenwood receiver that I had at the time (22 watts per channel) so this  thread is bringing back many memories. I also did lots of radio/speaker  installs for my friends and their cars. I always went to the battery for  power.

Wayner  8)

Very cool. Thanks for sharing that.