BP6 question for everyone

jaxwired

BP6 question for everyone
« on: 8 Sep 2010, 05:16 pm »
I'm fairly new to Bryston (less than a year now), and I've got a question as I'm wondering if there's something amiss with my BP6.  Compared to my old pre/amp combo, I have to turn up my BP6 way more to get serious volume levels.  Something like Matthew Sweet's "Girlfriend" I will turn all the way to 12 o'clock before I'm really rockin. This would have been an unthinkable volume position on pretty much any equipment I've owned previously.   My amp is a 4bsst2.  The lights on the amp never indicate clipping.

Does this sound normal?  Does this make sense to other owners?  I noticed a few weeks back some owners of the BP26 complaining about the opposite problem. That's what started me wondering...

Oh, one more piece of info.  My speakers are semi ineffecient at 85db.  Dynaudio Contours...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BP6 question for everyone
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2010, 05:18 pm »
Hi,

Do you have the sensitivity setting on the back of the amp at 1 volt or 2 volts?

james

jaxwired

« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2010, 06:14 pm »
Hi James,

I'm pretty sure I'm using the 2 volt setting which I believe is the one recommended for RCA cables (which I'm obviously using). 

The 12 o'clock setting on the "Girlfriend" CD is very loud, but not ear piercing or anything.  I can happily listen to it.  And that particular CD is slightly quieter than most of the CD's I buy that have been produced in the last few years.  However, even something like the new Norah Jones CD which is newly produced I will turn it up to about 11 o'clock before it's loud. 

It's probably working normally, but I wanted to see if this sounds way out of whack to anyone...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 8 Sep 2010, 06:17 pm »
Hi James,

I'm pretty sure I'm using the 2 volt setting which I believe is the one recommended for RCA cables (which I'm obviously using). 

The 12 o'clock setting on the "Girlfriend" CD is very loud, but not ear piercing or anything.  I can happily listen to it.  And that particular CD is slightly quieter than most of the CD's I buy that have been produced in the last few years.  However, even something like the new Norah Jones CD which is newly produced I will turn it up to about 11 o'clock before it's loud. 

It's probably working normally, but I wanted to see if this sounds way out of whack to anyone...

Try the 1 volt setting - I think you will prefer it.

james

rob80b

« Reply #4 on: 8 Sep 2010, 07:14 pm »
Sounds normal to me, as you know I've got the Dynaudio Special 25s which are a bit easier to drive, using the BCD-1 through the BP25P supplying the 4BSST, I and can easily get up to 11-12 o'clock on good dynamic recordings, with over compressed music CDs it averages around 10 o’clock as you have no room for dynamic swings. Listening to movies with a direct analogue out from a Sony Blu-Ray the setting is usually 1-2 o’clock and of course vinyl is higher still.
I also have the 1.3MKIIs and Celestion SL6S’s which are even less efficient at 82db, can easily put the dial between up a few more notches more.
But it really depends on the recording and sometimes the time of day.
As compared with your older preamp I experienced the same thing going from a Bryston .5 to my current BP25P, the .5 never went past 10-11 o’clock and that was with the Celestions and a 3BST.
We should be so lucky as we do not fall into the group who cannot play past 9 o’clock on the dial.

rob80b

« Reply #5 on: 8 Sep 2010, 07:38 pm »
And Tom

Don't forget we're running Dyns which are pretty indefatigable.  :weights:
So we may not really know when loud is too loud! :D

Robert

jaxwired

« Reply #6 on: 8 Sep 2010, 07:40 pm »
Robert,  thanks for the reply.  I feel much better about this now.  BTW, you were also right about my other problem.  I reset the volume knob and now it rotates without an issue via the remote.  So thanks for that also.  :thumb:

James,  thank you also for the reply.  I will try the 1v setting out...

jaxwired

« Reply #7 on: 8 Sep 2010, 07:44 pm »

And Tom

Don't forget we're running Dyns which are pretty indefatigable.  :weights:
So we may not really know when loud is too loud! :D

Robert

So true.   :D

You know, recently I'd swear my rig is sounding even better.  I'm floored at the imaging I'm getting out of good recordings.  And the clarity and detail is incredible.  Instruments are so distinct and separated.  It's hard to pry myself away.  I'm loving both my Dyns and my Bryston gear.  I don't know why it's sounding even better lately, maybe there is truth to the old break in period for electronics.  I'm a skeptic, but you never know... 

rob80b

« Reply #8 on: 8 Sep 2010, 10:41 pm »
I don't know why it's sounding even better lately, maybe there is truth to the old break in period for electronics.  I'm a skeptic, but you never know...

Simple equation

Bryston + Dynaudio = Synergy

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #9 on: 9 Sep 2010, 08:39 pm »
I have the BP6, and with quiet recordings you have to turn up the volume at least to 12 o' clock. So, it's normal.

Alphonse

« Reply #10 on: 10 Sep 2010, 12:03 am »
I also have BP-6 with PP300SSTs driving Dynaudio Confidence 5s. Volume falls mostly in the the 9 - 12 o'clock range. On some SACDs may go as high as 1 o'clock, very loud without strain.

I agree that Bryston-Dynaudio is a great combination. Low noise, neutral, balanced sound with excellent midrange tonality.

Al

XKevinX

« Reply #11 on: 10 Sep 2010, 01:03 am »
It's taken me awhile to get used to the volume control on the BP6.  Previously I had NAD and 10 O'clock was about as far as you wanted to go.  With my vinyl, I'm usually around 1 O'clock.  Detail is fantastic.  Driving PMC's.

Kevin

jaxwired

« Reply #12 on: 10 Sep 2010, 10:20 am »
Thanks everyone!  It's good to know all is well with my BP6.  Also, I started to wonder if I was just losing my ability to understand what "loud" is.  Maybe I was listening to my music way too loud.  I'm relieved to know I'm not going crazy.  :D 

Stu Pitt

« Reply #13 on: 10 Sep 2010, 04:16 pm »
My B60's (BP6 and 2B-LP in one box) volume knob is uaually at the 11:00ish position.  My Audio Physics aren't hard to drive.  With some albums it get to the 12:00 position.  With phono, its usually at about 1:00.

Like XKevinX, my NAD had a usable volume range of 7:00 to 9:00.  Bryston uses a bit more of the volume knob than that, which is great.  Way easier to fine tune the sound.

vegasdave

« Reply #14 on: 10 Sep 2010, 07:50 pm »
Thanks everyone!  It's good to know all is well with my BP6.  Also, I started to wonder if I was just losing my ability to understand what "loud" is.  Maybe I was listening to my music way too loud.  I'm relieved to know I'm not going crazy.  :D 

You're welcome, and that's cool. Continue to enjoy your BP6. Mine has worked flawlessly for the last 3 1/2 years!

jaxwired

« Reply #15 on: 11 Sep 2010, 01:02 am »
You're welcome, and that's cool. Continue to enjoy your BP6. Mine has worked flawlessly for the last 3 1/2 years!

Right on.  I love my Bryston gear.  I think my box swapping days are behind me.  I'm pretty sure I'm done with upgrading as far as the pre/amp goes.  Probably good for the next 10 years or so.  Now my source and speakers is another story.  I'm not quite done there yet... :)

vegasdave

« Reply #16 on: 11 Sep 2010, 08:52 pm »
Cool. Same here.