Onix

fredgarvin

Onix
« on: 26 Jan 2003, 06:56 pm »
Anyone ever heard one of the Onix amps? They have one model which is 120 wpc double mono design. I think around $500. I have heard they review well fwtw.

doug s.

• makin' music
Onix
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2003, 07:04 pm »
onix used to be a british company that made fine-sounding gear.  i have one of their old bwd-1 tuners, which is fantastic - easily competitive sonically w/anything sold today - including the top magnum dynalabs...  their older amps/pre's were also fine warm-sounding s/s gear.

the company was sold several years ago; the amp you're referring to is made in asia - likely a proton knock-off.  some models are the *identical* models as proton stuff, w/different name on the front.  not 100% sure, but i believe the amp you're referring to is one of these...  decent budget gear, but nowhere near as nice as the old onix electronics.

doug s.

Arctos

Onix
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2003, 09:04 pm »
Fred,
Check out this link to a topic that I started on HD a while ago:

http://www.harmonicdiscord.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2641&highlight=onix

I did a little research on these units as well as the original Onix Electronics of England.  Sounds like a decent integrated (they have a 60 watt and 120 watt option).  You can also find separates from Onix for about $500 for the pair (I think it is 150wpc amp and a pre with phono stage).

Let me know what you find out.  I almost bought one, but went with AMC, as there was alot more information about them than Onix at the time.

Regards,

RDS