SCC300 downfiring?

randog

SCC300 downfiring?
« on: 27 Feb 2004, 05:23 pm »
I don't think Dave would mind this in his forum...

I realize many of you think the SCC300 is a good match with the 1801's. Has anyone tried it as a downfiring sub? Is there anything about its construction or function that makes this a bad idea?

If it were limited to a 3 cubic foot enclosure, would that be sacrificing too much? What power amp would you suggest in that case?

How well does it blend as a single (not stereo) sub?

Where does one get the skinny on this driver? I don't see much about it on the Sonic Craft website. Are they the manufacturer?

Randog

jackman

SCC300 downfiring?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2004, 06:21 pm »
You may want to check with Jeff at Soniccraft.  He's a good guy and will be able to answer your question.

J

blizzard

SCC300
« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2004, 06:52 pm »
Hi Randog,
  Don't know about down firing.  But, I've got mine in a 3 foot enclosure and it is fantastic.  One point though -- do not underpower it.  The more power you can give it the better.  When used as a sub for home theater I got great results with an amp rated at 1000Watts into 8 ohms.  It works with leser amps but you do not get as much impact and you might clip the amp.

Good Luck,
               Steve

Al Garay

SCC300 downfiring?
« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2004, 06:58 am »
Downfiring should work. Nathan Salazar is very happy with his 3.0cf sealed sub, built using 3/4" baltic birch and not heavily braced. He sold me his second SCC300 saying that the one was enough for his room. Several others really like 3.5 cf. I made a spreadsheet of the different cabinet dimensions to get volume between 3.0 and 4.0 cubic feet. I convinced myself that another 1" taller or deeper was not a big deal in the WAF. So, I went 4.0 and it is really big.  I recommend you brace it really well with Baltic Birch braces and sandwich of BB/MDF for the side with the driver (baffle) and the opposite side, the others can be MDF.

I found the free cabinet plans in www.northcreekmusic.com to be very helpful for cabinet design ideas and construction tips. You might want to check out this new sub design, can be used for sub speaker stand (which I remember you being interested, like the BESL's).
http://www.northcreekmusic.com/Thunder/ThunderInfo.htm

I went with the Hypex HS200 for plate amp. I was attracted to the active crossover and hi-lo pass filters. The 200 watts is more than enough for the SCC300. Dr. J (Jeff Glowacki) says that even 100 watts (true watts) will be sufficient depending on what you are after.

If I had a nice crossover like the Marchand, I would look for an old Hafler or Adcom amp which will work great mono or stereo if you decide to add a second sub.

Even though the 1801s have very good bass, I like the results much better.

Al

randog

SCC300 downfiring?
« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2004, 11:17 pm »
Thanks, fellas, for the thoughtful replies.  :D

Randog

randog

SCC300 downfiring?
« Reply #5 on: 3 Mar 2004, 07:46 pm »
Quote from: jackman
You may want to check with Jeff at Soniccraft.  He's a good guy and will be able to answer your question.

J

Wow. Jeff's a great guy! He was very helpful and really talked me through many of my questions very thoroughly and thoughtfully.

Highly recommended.  8)