New SongTower/SongCenter owner--Amp Question

putz

New SongTower/SongCenter owner--Amp Question
« on: 7 Sep 2010, 04:27 am »
Recently purchased used SongCenter and SongTowers with OW tweeters in 2 separate transactions. I've been eyeing them for the last 2 years but budget constraints precluded purchasing new ones. Would like to eventually get SongSurrounds but other audio purchases take precedence. I'll post some pictures of the Songs shortly. 

I listen to 2 channel and 7.1 HT. I'm powering with a Yamaha RXV1800 AVR and an old SAE power amp for the 2 fronts. I'd like to keep the Yamaha and replace the SAE with a 5 or 7 channel amp, most probably used. I've been looking at the following amps in the $500-1,000 range:

Nad T975
Outlaw 7125
Parasound 5125
Emotiva UPA7
Other possibilities include Rotel, Sherbourn and B&K

I was hoping I could get some feedback from other SongTower HT users on what they are using and if you have familiarity with any of these products and wanted to comment on them.

I'm in NJ, if anyone has comparable equipment to audition or would like to hear my setup.

jd3

Re: New SongTower/SongCenter owner--Amp Question
« Reply #1 on: 7 Sep 2010, 09:39 am »
Welcome!  I currently use an Outlaw 7500 with my ST's, but have used both Outlaw's 7125 and 7075 amps. All are a good compromise (depending on your room size and power requirements) for combo 2 channel/HT use, but for strictly 2 channel use I'd look for something better.  Good luck on your quest and enjoy those ST's!

divisionbell77

« Reply #2 on: 7 Sep 2010, 10:31 am »
of those that you listed, i would go for the Parasound.

billmcc

« Reply #3 on: 7 Sep 2010, 01:02 pm »
I have the STs and SongCenter and I'm using a Boston Acoustics A7200 which is a Sherwood Newcastle A-965 clone. I am quite happy with the A7200 and having had many amps in my system is among my favorite. I would think all of the amps you have listed are great choices. I would also pick the Parasound and the Outlaw as well.

http://www.sherwoodusa.com/prod_a965.html

Here is a great amp for a very fair price.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1288981342&/Sherbourn-5210A--Five-Channel

Bill

Saturn94

« Reply #4 on: 7 Sep 2010, 03:06 pm »
of those that you listed, i would go for the Parasound.

+1

I've owned a couple of Parasound amps (HCA750A and 5250) and would highly recommend them.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #5 on: 7 Sep 2010, 03:15 pm »
I use an ATI 1506 with five SongTowers and I am very happy with the results (especially given the cost of the 1506 - well below $1k on the used market).

The Emotiva amp has received nice reviews, but has very high gain (I think it is 32db) and could cause noise issues.

The other choices are very good and I am sure they will do the job.  Personally, I would go with the best deal you can find.

George

Nuance

« Reply #6 on: 7 Sep 2010, 08:22 pm »
+1

I've owned a couple of Parasound amps (HCA750A and 5250) and would highly recommend them.
+2

newzooreview

« Reply #7 on: 7 Sep 2010, 11:47 pm »
If you can find a used Wyred4Sound multi-channel amp, they are terrific. A new one would be about double your price range, however, and they don't come up used very often. If you do find one, however, they run cool and present a natural, balanced, dynamic, and very detailed sound. They also do a great job with timbre and soundstage. I have their integrated amp, not the multi-channel, but they are both built on the same uniquely modified ICE amp core.

floresjc

« Reply #8 on: 8 Sep 2010, 04:28 pm »
I've used Outlaw products for about 5 years now, and they are pretty good. I've run my SongTower home theater off of a 1070 receiver (before I got my AVA stuff), and it did just fine. There's always a plethora of Parasound choices on Audiogon, and I really like their stuff as well. If it were me, I'd go 1-Parasound, 2-Outlaw. You should be able to make your budget easily on the used market.

floresjc

« Reply #9 on: 8 Sep 2010, 04:31 pm »
You are in luck, there is a factory reconditioned 5125 with warranty up right now.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1286479092&/Parasound-5125-great-5-x-125-w

Its silver though, if colors matter.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #10 on: 8 Sep 2010, 04:37 pm »
I use an ATI 1506 with five SongTowers and I am very happy with the results (especially given the cost of the 1506 - well below $1k on the used market).

The Emotiva amp has received nice reviews, but has very high gain (I think it is 32db) and could cause noise issues.

The other choices are very good and I am sure they will do the job.  Personally, I would go with the best deal you can find.

George

A versatile amp and I use it for the fronts and sides as the channels can be bridged to 450 watts!

putz

« Reply #11 on: 8 Sep 2010, 06:45 pm »
You are in luck, there is a factory reconditioned 5125 with warranty up right now.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1286479092&/Parasound-5125-great-5-x-125-w

Its silver though, if colors matter.
Throw in a can of black spray paint and it's a deal.

I've been eyeing that one for a few days along with other Outlaw & Parasound stuff on Audiogon and ebay. I was hoping to find something local since shipping used electronics scares me, especially UPS. That one is a refurb so it is under warranty. So far nothing local that strikes my fancy. I may check a few nearby stores to see what they have available

Great suggestions from everyone. I appreciate the help.