The American

jimdgoulding

The American
« on: 6 Sep 2010, 07:48 pm »
I think this had to be a project for co-producer and star Clooney and his new friends in Italian cinema.  He has a house on the Italian side of Lake Como remember.  Don't see how there could be another reason.  It's sorta of a tribute in style to Antonioni and existential theme movies from Europe in the 60's.  Everything is meaningless, in other words, and there is lots of nudity.  You shouldn't care that the plot is weak.  Two stars for the scenery.  Roger Ebert gave it four stars.  I should be taking what he is taking, poor fellow.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: The American
« Reply #1 on: 7 Sep 2010, 11:45 pm »
Up til I read your post Jim, I fully intended to give this flick a 1.5 out of 5 stars. Even the sparse action couldn't save this ultraslow flow and totally flat ending with absolutely no soundtrack to speak of. There were shouts of "that sucked" and "whata rippoff" throughout the theatre. But after you reminded me of the scenic Italian countryside and villages, I too knocked it up to a 2 out of 5 stars. But by far the worse Clooney movie I've ever sat thru. Luckily I watched it 1st, then Machete saved the afteroon for me.  :duh:

Cheers,
Robin

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2010, 01:27 am »
1.5 is probably a truer assessment.  Pretty dismal.

Mariusz

« Reply #3 on: 8 Sep 2010, 03:15 am »
If you suffer from insomnia, this drag is your cure.
*1/2 is probably too generous but heck, 1star for scenery is well deserved.