I've given up the Lowthers

Blackmore

I've given up the Lowthers
« on: 4 Sep 2010, 06:25 pm »
 :D  Just kiddin'

Got them crankin' out some Allman Brothers "idlewild south" this morning.  Lisa's glad she is heading for Chicago tomorrow.  Nothing like a 16" woofer, two mids, a horn tweeter and two supertweeters to make you grin.  Thanks Scott (but it may be  :finger: from Lisa)   :lol:

Scott F.

Re: I've given up the Lowthers
« Reply #1 on: 4 Sep 2010, 06:50 pm »
WOW! You had me worried there for a second  :o

So how is the bass?...gee those are some big honkin' woof-woofs  :lol:

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 4 Sep 2010, 07:04 pm »
The bass is thick and thrummy, but hey, what do you want for free?  They like being on the floor, and don't tell anyone, they don't sound too bad.  I'll try some 2A3 goodness on them later on.  I can't decide if I like "Soft, Natural, or Clear" on the tweeters  :lol: 

The real test will be to run them as the bass cabinet for the Blackmore's.  I believe Sturgus said it best..."It's a sickness!"

See ya'

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #3 on: 5 Sep 2010, 07:12 pm »
I read the title and you were about to get Molotov cocktailed as I know where you live sucka 

Blackmore

« Reply #4 on: 5 Sep 2010, 07:17 pm »
Oh, it's gonna get worse soon.  Wait until tomorrow's pics are posted.  You guys may need an "intervention" on my a$$!! :lol:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #5 on: 5 Sep 2010, 07:20 pm »
Throwing some Audiopoints underneath them babies might tighten up the bass some. Works for me anyways.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

wedweb

« Reply #6 on: 6 Sep 2010, 02:50 am »
Did you buy some white van specials?

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #7 on: 6 Sep 2010, 05:23 am »
Herbie's cones would also be another way to go for improving the bass. Here's an informative thread from the Herbies' Audio Lab Circle on the very subject.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Blackmore

« Reply #8 on: 6 Sep 2010, 12:00 pm »
Hey Robin, good ideas for the bass.  I may just do the spikes if I do some refinishing on the old boys.  The vinyl is peeling off some the corners so I may do a carpet or pleather covering for them and use pro speaker metal or plastic corner reinforcements to hide any sins at the edges. 

The old boys are still fun to listen to.  My wife and I had a great day of listening using my cd player's variable output feeding my classdaudio amp going to the Sansuis using appropriately crappy zip cord.  I think ScottF has it right; when you hear those old speakers the flaws are so obvious that your audiophile mind turns off and your "crocodile" brain takes over.  Just listen and enjoy the music, not the sound.  Lisa and I went through Deep Purple, Ravel Piano Concerto, hell, I even played Seals and Croft on them.  Then I hooked them up as the bass bins of the Blackmores.   :rock:

Today I will bring in another big boy to try out as the bass bins of the Blackmores.  The X8000 were pretty good and today's speaker should be a whole lot better.  Let you know more later.