My cars' 12th birthday this month and it wants $$$ presents!

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
My Contour SVT was built in Sept 1998. I took possession Dec 98'.
So it was nice. but the costs are going up.
New diff last year $3,000 (and added new clutch! why not!)
Today, spent all day fix $500, emissions test, fix myself! emissions, dealer, and i STILL have yet to shell out $1500. more to get it passed the emissions.
Started out 7AM dealer: cheeck engine light on... three things. $360. $500. $1500. I get the $360. and rear brake pads. (the scraping was bad...) The did not HAVE the pads (at a Frkin Ford dealer!) so I wait an hour for them to get some...
Then I go to the emissions place. OH!!! your connector is broken no can test. (THEY broke the connector off 10 years ago!!!, and never seemed to care until today. So I go home and zip tie it to holes I cut into the plastic lower dash cover. go back, NO GOOD!! the plug now slips out of the case. (I did break a tab unknowingly when I took the cover off the connector) So more Exacto holes and more zip tips lock that sucker in! OK go back AGAIN and they say: hah hah you fail. minumum $700 MUST be spent to qualify for free pass. I am screwed. my already spent today $350 counts.. I need the $1500 one and NOT the $500 one for the boys at the emissions place. The $500 one does not qualify as 'real' emissions according to thier rules. I am screwed.
I am also ready to drive the car off a high bridge (as long as I can get out in time)
Problem is I just love to drive this car.
Maybe i have to sell some stereo stuff.

ltr317

Don't feel too bad, it's a relatively new car.  Unfortunately your car is on its periodic replacement parts cycle.  What is costing so much to pass emissions?  Catalytic converter?  O2 sensors are cheap, as well exhausts. 

I brought my 1987 BMW 325e to my mechanic last week for emissions inspection, rear trunk seal replacement, tie-rod replacement and rear window replacement.  Still waiting for the rear window from the dealer.  Before that, just regular maintenance for last 4 years.  The tranny and engine are still strong at 195,000 miles.  Before that, I had a 1990 BMW 325is with 220,000 miles and ran like a top for 3 years.  Only had to do routine maintenance on it.  Still sorry I sold that car and kept my 1969 BMW 1600/2002.  Now that's a money pit every time I drive it, so I only drive it every other year.   

geezer

Maybe you need to go to a different mechanic for a second opinion.

kgturner

move to a state with no emissions tests?

ltr317

move to a state with no emissions tests?

There are states that don't have emission tests in this day and age? 

kgturner

come on down to alabama, son. i'll show you a good time!

Big Red Machine

There are states that don't have emission tests in this day and age?

WE don't even have inspections in Michigan.

ltr317

Maybe I should move out of NY State. 

turkey

more zip tips lock that sucker in! OK go back AGAIN and they say: hah hah you fail. minumum $700 MUST be spent to qualify for free pass. I am screwed. my already spent today $350 counts.. I need the $1500 one and NOT the $500 one for the boys at the emissions place. The $500 one does not qualify as 'real' emissions according to thier rules. I am screwed.

Find another mechanic and tell him or her that you're already halfway towards the $700 limit and you'll spend $350 more on the car, but not more than that. If it's going to be more, you'll buy another car and junk this one.

I bet your mechanic will then find something priced at $350 that has failed.

A lot of mechanics (even the ones at the car dealers that have had factory training) don't seem to know what they're doing with emissions systems and they just start replacing parts until they get to what was actually broken. You can go into 5 different places and get 5 different diagnoses and 5 different parts to be replaced. You could also spend thousands of dollars and never get the problem actually fixed.

It should be easy enough to find someone who will start out their replacing with a $350 part to bring you up to the $700. And who knows, maybe by sheer luck they'll actually fix the thing!

Delta Wave

Find another mechanic and tell him or her that you're already halfway towards the $700 limit and you'll spend $350 more on the car, but not more than that. If it's going to be more, you'll buy another car and junk this one.

I bet your mechanic will then find something priced at $350 that has failed.

A lot of mechanics (even the ones at the car dealers that have had factory training) don't seem to know what they're doing with emissions systems and they just start replacing parts until they get to what was actually broken. You can go into 5 different places and get 5 different diagnoses and 5 different parts to be replaced. You could also spend thousands of dollars and never get the problem actually fixed.

It should be easy enough to find someone who will start out their replacing with a $350 part to bring you up to the $700. And who knows, maybe by sheer luck they'll actually fix the thing!

We call that "Easter Egg Hunting" in the land o' technicians and it's generally frowned upon by those of us who actually know what we're doing.

It does sound like you could use a new mechanic. I've always found the best mechanics are the guys that specialize in European cars, generally smaller shops and the people that run them actually have a love for automobiles and do a better, more thorough job.  And seeing as how that's actually a Ford Mondeo in Europe, that may be a good way to go.

Don_S

Re: My cars' 12th birthday this month and it wants $$$ presents!
« Reply #10 on: 3 Sep 2010, 02:50 pm »
Elizabeth,

You have my sympathies.  I had a similar experience with my previous vehicle.  I wasted a lot of time and money repairing a car that was not worthy. I know you are fond of your car but maybe you can solve your problem the same way I did.  I found a vehicle that was "more fun" to drive.  My new car is better in all respects except for gas mileage.  And the best thing is I don't have to worry about constant repairs. That alone is a huge "fun factor".

Good luck with whatever you do. 

turkey

« Reply #11 on: 3 Sep 2010, 04:23 pm »
We call that "Easter Egg Hunting" in the land o' technicians and it's generally frowned upon by those of us who actually know what we're doing.

I know a lot of people who have been the victims of egg hunts then. :)

JoshK

« Reply #12 on: 3 Sep 2010, 05:25 pm »
Elizabeth,

You have my sympathies.  I had a similar experience with my previous vehicle.  I wasted a lot of time and money repairing a car that was not worthy. I know you are fond of your car but maybe you can solve your problem the same way I did.  I found a vehicle that was "more fun" to drive.  My new car is better in all respects except for gas mileage.  And the best thing is I don't have to worry about constant repairs. That alone is a huge "fun factor".

Good luck with whatever you do. 

What do you do with your old one then?  Land-fill?

turkey

« Reply #13 on: 3 Sep 2010, 05:32 pm »
What do you do with your old one then?  Land-fill?

East River. :)