USB-to-S/PDIF interface devices? kludge with a mac mini & fw?

kenreau

I'm currently using a very nice SimAudio MOON 750D DAC/Transport.  I've made the transition to a mac mini and (finally) transcoded all my music files to AIFF format into iTunes.  I am planning to give both Pure Music and Amarra the demo trials. 

While I don't currently have many hi-rez files, I am headed down this path and intend to have the full hi-rez playback capability.   

Per the Simaudio literature: The USB input on the MOON 750D accepts a digital audio signal of up to 16-bits/48kHz. This is the native specification of the USB input. However, if you require a higher sampling rate, there are ways to achieve this with the 750D.   In the event that you wish to use your computer’s USB connection with files greater than 48kHz, there are several relatively inexpensive after-market products; compact one-box USB-to-S/PDIF interfaces that will work with USB datastreams up to 24-bit, all the way up to 192kHz.   The 750D has Four (4) digital inputs (AES/EBU, S/PDIF, TosLink and USB).   

I'm looking for recommendations for high quality USB-to-S/PDIF convertor devices.  I've read some great reviews on the Locus SonicWeld Diverter and also the Emperical Audio Off Ramp.  These are the only two I can recall reading about and I'm wondering what other comparible devices may be out there?  Any recommendations? 

Thanks Kenreau
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2010, 11:35 pm by kenreau »

jhm731

Re: USB-to-S/PDIF interface devices?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Sep 2010, 12:01 am »

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 2 Sep 2010, 01:33 am »
M2Tech has both the HiFace and Evo USB to S/PDIF units.

Here is a thread for the HiFace:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72468.0

Musiland has the Monitor 01USD USB to S/PDIF converter.

Both will do up to 24bit/192KHz.

kenreau

« Reply #3 on: 2 Sep 2010, 03:20 am »
Is anyone else having trouble posting as a reply with Quote?  Twice today this website has been buggy. :scratch:

Thanks guys.  That is a lot of great information, especially the comprehensive summary at Audiophilleo. 

This makes me wonder why the better DAC manufacturers don't build these interface/converters into their machines usb ports and, I'm starting to wonder if just using firewire capable DAC is a better approach. 

More things to contemplate.

THanks
Kenreau

coops

« Reply #4 on: 2 Sep 2010, 09:29 am »
The EVO is the best thing I have heard so far, using it with a lithium battery pack, extremely  quiet backgrounds,and a host of connectivity options.
Keith.

Alexdad54

« Reply #5 on: 5 Sep 2010, 04:10 pm »
Has anyone tried this new(ish) unit?

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/USBface/Digital1EN.htm

There's an interesting thread over at Head-Fi where they are comparing it to the HiFace......

kenreau

« Reply #6 on: 6 Sep 2010, 07:50 pm »
Thanks for the input guys.  I just can't help thinking adding a USB to SPDIF device and two more cables is undesirable and expensive.  Given I'm strictly running an Apple mac mini, I'm going to pursue a firewire dac to keep things simple and straight forward.  Perhaps one of the Weiss, Metric Halo or Sonic Studio Firewire DACs.

Thanks
Kenreau
« Last Edit: 7 Sep 2010, 04:51 pm by kenreau »

coops

« Reply #7 on: 7 Sep 2010, 10:05 am »
Ken if you can avoid s/pdif or AES then do, async straight into the dac is best imho.
Keith.

jeffh

« Reply #8 on: 7 Sep 2010, 10:43 am »
Here is another option from Halide Design:

http://www.halidedesign.com/bridge/

and here is a review of the Halide Bridge:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Halide-Design-Bridge-Review

Jeff

coops

« Reply #9 on: 7 Sep 2010, 08:22 pm »
I tried the 'Bridge' it was pleasant enough but a little soft or rolled off compared to the hiface .
Keith.

kenreau

Re: USB-to-S/PDIF interface devices? a Kludge with mac mini & fw?
« Reply #10 on: 10 Sep 2010, 09:27 pm »
Ken if you can avoid s/pdif or AES then do, async straight into the dac is best imho.
Keith.

Keith, I have to agree, with the caveat I am still early in the learning curve of transition to the mac mini/itunes platform.  I can't help but see a Kludge solution approach calling for  adding two signal cables and a usb-to-spdif interface to get audiophile caliber digits into a DAC.  Now, if all these USB to SPDIF conversions were built into DACs (after their USB input jack) that sounds significantly more appealing to me.

If you are working with a more typical PC, sound card, etc.  that is a different animal. 

Given my apple with fw capable platform, I have yet to see a compelling reason not to make use of the firewire pathway with a firewire DAC.  Granted, the choices of FW equiped DACs is fairly narrow, but it sure sounds like a much more elegant and potentialy better sounding solution.

Keith - what DAC do you use?

Thanks
Kenreau
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2010, 01:55 am by kenreau »

coops

Re: USB-to-S/PDIF interface devices? kludge with a mac mini & fw?
« Reply #11 on: 11 Sep 2010, 06:36 pm »
Ken Hi Weiss dac 202, through it's firewire, MBP with Amarra.
Keith.