I am playing with an Atlona AT-HD577 De-Embeddder

avahifi

I am playing with an Atlona AT-HD577 De-Embeddder
« on: 1 Sep 2010, 02:21 am »
I have been testing a new Atlona De-embedder today with mixed and sometimes great and sometimes rather strange results.

This device has two HDMI inputs, one HMDI output, both optical and coax digital outputs, and can be used as an HDMI source switch among other functions.

However, its real purpose is to strip out the digital audio signal from the source material and in theory, provide high bit rate audio for downstream use.

Using it in combination with my Oppo blu-ray player, I am happy to report that it does at least some of what I had hoped.  The connection is with the Oppo as the source transport, coming out its HDMI port, into an Atlona HDMI input, and then feeding the digital output from the Atlona (either coax or optical) into my Vision EC DAC and on to the rest of the system.

I can get digital output from both DVD Audio and SACD Audio discs using this setup and the musical results are excellent with my system.  I have been informed that the OPPO downsamples high bit rate DVD Audio down to normal Redbook at its digital audio outputs, and of course digital output from SACD is forbidden.  Since my blue ray player tells me it is playing in SACD mode, I am assuming that finally I am getting SACD audio out with the use of the Atlona in the chain.  Nice.  With DVD Audio, the digital output of the Atlona is great too, but then again so was direct Redbook digital output from the OPPO and I am not at all sure that there is any audible musical improvement with the high bit output from the Atlona, assuming that this is actually happening, I have no good way in house to measure this.

However, we probably will bring along the Oppo and Atlona to the RMAF to calm down those unhappy with our normal use of my 20 year old HK CD player as a transport.

Now comes from the strange stuff.

First of all, I had hoped that I could de-embed the digital audio from my Comcast Motorola cable box.  Its digital output is dolby multi-channel only and it does not put out a digital signal my audio DAC can use.  So I connected the whole setup back into my two channel AV system.

Unfortunately, the Atlona seems to be unhappy with the HDMI output from my Comcast box.  I get no audio output at all, and unfortunately no video output either from the HDMI connection from the Atlona on to the Sony TV HDMI input.

More strange is what happens with the Oppo blu-ray player with the audio portion of its HDMI output with DVDs or blu ray discs.  The video picture with the Atlona in circuit is just fine, but I completely loose the vocal audio tracks!

Very very nice background sounds from the movie, but speach has gone silent.

User pedal mis-application big time happening here?  If so I could certainly use some advice as to how to make this setup work.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Phil A

Re: I am playing with an Atlona AT-HD577 De-Embeddder
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2010, 02:29 am »
The Oppo outputs full resolution over its coax for DVD-A.  Which Atlona box do you have?  I'm using the Port-ta switcher de-embedder which apparently Monoprice is selling now too

avahifi

« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2010, 02:36 am »
It is the model AT-HD577 as mentioned in the thread title.  I have heard both yes and no regarding full res digital output from the Oppo with DVD Audio discs.  I would sure like some conformation of this one way or the other.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2010, 02:36 am »
Sorry - missed the title which gives the Atlona mode.  Ted B had a comment (I believe about the 571) at the bottom of this page - http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82217.0

There above link is a thread with several pages devoted to similar questions.

The other box/switch I noted (and posted about in the above thread) apparently is sold by Monoprice for under $50.  I'm due to place an order in a week or so and will probably order one and also see if it can pass 192kHz like the Port-ta PET4000.  It sure looks identical from the pictures.  The Port-ta also can take the same type of upgraded (5V) power supply that the Logitech Squeezebox Touch uses (I ordered one and swap it when need be).  The better power supply seems to make a difference.

festuss

« Reply #4 on: 1 Sep 2010, 02:42 am »
I don't think you are getting SACD digital, you mean you are converting DSD somehow somehwere?  don't think it's possible, the SACD standard disallows anything to be able to output DSD data.  I suspect it's downcerverting to CD 44.1?  No way are you getting DSD, the basis of SACD.  My EMMLABS will process DSD, my TASCAM records in DSD onto DVD+RW, so you are saying I can record DSD on my TASCAM, and this unit you have will decode DSD, I don't think so.  Anyway of checking what digital data you are getting, not just the front display saying SACD? Something doesn't sound Kosher

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 1 Sep 2010, 02:45 am »
It is noted in thread about DVD-A being passed full bandwidth (over coax) and I've done it from my BDP-83 to my Bryston BDA-1 many times.  The specs for the Port-ta box are here:  http://www.port-ta.com/show.asp?id=203

I talked a friend into getting the Port-ta with his DAC and he prefers the digital output of it vs. his Oppo BDP-83 just listening to CD.  I've even had my BDP-83 modded and while I'm sure changing the clock helped, I actually prefer de-embedding the audio and listening to upsampled 88.2kHz PCM (limitations of Oppo chipset) vs. analog SACD. 

If you read through the thread you'll noted that I've also indicated PS3s that do SACD can output 176.4kHz PCM and also the Arcam universal (non-Blu-Ray) players can as well.

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 1 Sep 2010, 02:47 am »
I don't think you are getting SACD digital, you mean you are converting DSD somehow somehwere?  don't think it's possible, the SACD standard disallows anything to be able to output DSD data.  I suspect it's downcerverting to CD 44.1?  No way are you getting DSD, the basis of SACD.  My EMMLABS will process DSD, my TASCAM records in DSD onto DVD+RW, so you are saying I can record DSD on my TASCAM, and this unit you have will decode DSD, I don't think so.  Anyway of checking what digital data you are getting, not just the front display saying SACD? Something doesn't sound Kosher

In the player you enable HDMI audio and tell it to convert SACD to PCM which it does over HDMI at 88.2kHz.  See my last post.  I'm not much of a recorder but I'd imagine you can capture the 88.2kHz PCM or if you get the players I noted in my prior post - 176.4

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 1 Sep 2010, 02:51 am »
With regard to FAQ and the Oppo - there is some excellent info here -  http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-83-faq.html

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 1 Sep 2010, 03:00 am »
By the way the Arcam models that can output 176.4kHz are the DV137 and DV139 - here is the DV137 (which is the lower end model) - http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1288314841

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 1 Sep 2010, 03:10 am »
Frank, with regard to your original question (I guess I went a drop off track), I'm guessing it's just set-up in the Oppo with regard to probably HDMI audio and/or also audio down mix.  I can't recall but I had some issue way back and I finally went to the sheet I believe is in the FAQ that is a settings checklist.  I have a blank copy on my computer and I keep a printed copy and in the event I accidently while playing with stuff change it, it makes it easy.  It gives you the Oppo default setting too.

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 1 Sep 2010, 03:17 am »
As to the Comcast box, I'm not sure which model you have.  This one - http://www.comcast.com/medialibrary/1/2/cm/vanityurl/documents/ecare/DCX3400_User_Guide.pdf

let's you output Dolby Digital or PCM from it's coax.  I guess you have nothing in a set-up menu that allows change of the audio output?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #11 on: 1 Sep 2010, 03:31 am »
I have documented and reported a few times here on AC (in my Hirez music Circle and elsewhere) that Oppo support, among others, has admitted via email that the Oppo BDP-83 (as well as some earlier universals) output full 24/192 DVD-Audio (if present on disc, of course) via coax outputs...even though its somewhat against specs.  The mediatek chip allows it.  My Weiss DAC2 confirms it.  :)

Also, the DSD-to-PCM 24/88.2 conversion is automatic if the backend HDMI display/processor is not DSD capable.  If it is DSD-capable, then one must set the Oppo for "PCM" in the SACD menu in order for the Atlona/Porta/etc to de-embed correctly.

strat95

« Reply #12 on: 1 Sep 2010, 05:31 am »
More strange is what happens with the Oppo blu-ray player with the audio portion of its HDMI output with DVDs or blu ray discs.  The video picture with the Atlona in circuit is just fine, but I completely loose the vocal audio tracks!

Very very nice background sounds from the movie, but speach has gone silent.

Frank,

Isn't that due to multi-channel movie DVDs & Blu-Ray discs having all voice (in most cases I suppose) on the center channel?  Is the de-embedder able to pass through via its coax/optical connections the multi-channel 5.1 or 7.1 like a DVD/Blu-Ray player can or does it just pass through the 2 channel front left and front right via coax/optical?

Ted

strat95

« Reply #13 on: 1 Sep 2010, 05:34 am »
Also, if the de-embedder can pass through 5.1/7.1 via its coax/optical, how would a 2 channel stereo DAC handle that data?

TV

srb

« Reply #14 on: 1 Sep 2010, 05:40 am »
Also, if the de-embedder can pass through 5.1/7.1 via its coax/optical, how would a 2 channel stereo DAC handle that data?

It wouldn't.  It would either make a terrible high pitched streaming noise, or no sound at all if it muted it.

Steve

avahifi

« Reply #15 on: 3 Sep 2010, 09:32 pm »
I had a long "hands on" talk with the nice people at Atlona tech support today regarding the issues I raised in my first post herein.

Issue #1, regarding a seeming incompatibility with my Motorola Comcast HD Cable Box has been partially resolved.  We were able to make it work, short term, with the proper sequence of the dip switches on the Atlona.  This did finally allow me to pass through the HDMI HD video to the TV and extract the digital audio signal, send it on to my Vision DAC and on to the two channel audio system (Ultravalve amp and a set of SongTowers).  Finally, really high quality digital HD audio from TV!  (Well at least as high quality as you are going to get with compressed digital audio signals).  The catch - - - as soon as the TV is turned off, its HDMI port looses sync with the Atlona box again, and a rather complicated routine is necessary at each start up to allow the TV to talk to the Atlona once again.  The cure is another box that Atlona is sending me, a sync stabilizer box to go between the Atlona De-Embedder and the TV (all done with HDMI cables).  This should eliminate the re-sync start up issues.  I will report on that when received.  They said it is an issue with satellite boxes too and the same fix is needed for these.

The second issue, no vocal tracks from DVD or Blu-Ray movies from the digital output of the Atlona has stumped us short term.  The folks at Atlona actually said they will acquire the Oppo DPD-83 for further in house testing.  It is interesting, the Atlona provides fine video on to my big HD Sony TV, and I get great background sound from its digital audio outputs on to my DAC and audio system, but no vocal audio, as if the center channel track has been eliminated.  I expect there will be a fix for that soon too.  Meanwhile, I will re-read my Oppo manual and try all the menu options that I have not so far (why bother trying something in the manual for a function you don't use - or what, read the cell phone manual??  :o

To be continued.

Have a great holiday weekend and think of all those folks that have labored for us building highways and bridges and tanks and B17s and shopping centers and Fords and Chevys and whatever.  Or, do you really want to mine your own coal?   :D

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine