Airtunes dropouts?

chrisby

Airtunes dropouts?
« on: 31 Aug 2010, 03:46 am »
Any suggestions to a non-geek on how to troubleshoot increasing number of dropouts while streaming via Airtunes to AEX?  This issue may have been addressed before, but my skills at formatting search questions are clearly not adequate to the task.

MacBook Pro / OS 10.6.4 / iTunes 9.2.1 / AEX 1084 - miniToslink cable to Citypulse DAC

It's been suggested that cordless phones may be the issue?  We recently updated to a new Panasonic DECT6.0 system that operates on 1.92 - 1.93GHz.

A quick search for other wifi networks shows 4-5 others operating in the neighborhood, with varying strengths indicated,  but only one is not password secured. 

Advice that won't be particularly practical would include  "just use the Toslink from the MBP", or "time for a new Mini & iPod Touch" (not that I haven't thought about the latter  :wink: )

any help would be appreciated

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: Airtunes dropouts?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2010, 03:53 am »
The only dropout issues I have ever had with the AE is on certain songs.  :scratch:  Watch what song it drops out on and note that tune.

I have no idea if my experience is related to playlists I have made, or setting a set to "Gapless Album", or an actual airtunes issue, but when it happens it happens on the same songs, always.  :duh:

Have fun,
Jerry

chrisby

« Reply #2 on: 31 Aug 2010, 04:01 am »
The only dropout issues I have ever had with the AE is on certain songs.  :scratch:  Watch what song it drops out on and note that tune.

I have no idea if my experience is related to playlists I have made, or setting a set to "Gapless Album", or an actual airtunes issue, but when it happens it happens on the same songs, always.  :duh:

Have fun,
Jerry

thanks for the quick reply - this happens on any CD "tracks" - all of which are in Apple Lossless or MPEG  radio streams

skunark

« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2010, 04:09 am »
Assuming there is a wireless router in the mix, how strong is the MBP in the same spot as the AEX?   

Review th AEX's configuration and disable any unneeded features.

Also if possible move or add a wireless access point/router between where you have your MBP and AEX.

AllynW

« Reply #4 on: 4 Sep 2010, 03:54 pm »
I had drop out issues a few years ago.  At the time I was using Mac Pro G-5 to AirPort Express, Toslink to DAC.  Every time Microwave Oven was used my connection dropped out.   It took months to finally figure out what was causing the problem and I was never able to solved the issue. I ended up with a Mac Mini as a dedicated music server thats directly connected to the DAC.   I'm lucky I ran into the issue a while ago I could never afford to buy a Mac Mini without the overtime my job use to provide.

chrisby

« Reply #5 on: 7 Sep 2010, 06:16 pm »
I had drop out issues a few years ago.  At the time I was using Mac Pro G-5 to AirPort Express, Toslink to DAC.  Every time Microwave Oven was used my connection dropped out.   It took months to finally figure out what was causing the problem and I was never able to solved the issue. I ended up with a Mac Mini as a dedicated music server thats directly connected to the DAC.   I'm lucky I ran into the issue a while ago I could never afford to buy a Mac Mini without the overtime my job use to provide.

Actually that parallels one of our observations - distance from the router ( Airport Extreme), and number of active neighborhood  wi-fi networks also seem to affect it ( as many as 6 at one count) . 

When plugged into the wall for charging, the laptop is approx 4ft above the AE in the room below - the living room couch is at least 30ft away from that point, and the 'wave almost guarantees dropouts.

And of course my wife likes to have at least 5 applications running in the back-ground, and freaks if I "accidentally" quit them.

I'm starting to think towards the Mini as a dedicated server myself - any issues/advice with HomeSharing and/or remote control via the MBP or iPad Touch?

And is it me, or has the sound quality improved with the latest update of  iTunes downloaded over the weekend?   (or maybe my tinnitus just wasn't as bad as usual  :wink: )

chrisby

« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2010, 07:38 pm »
update:

although it's not completely intuitive to me, a recent replacement of our internet provider's cable modem (original was over 6yrs) seemed to solve both the iTunes drop-out issue as well of course as 'net download speed. (wireless connection via Time Capsule to MPB was over 10Mbps at last speed-test - good enough for our purposes)

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #7 on: 16 Nov 2010, 02:59 am »
You can try switching the WiFi channel you have set on the AirPort Extreme. Picking a channel that is "farther away" in number distance from your neighbors numbers will result in less interference. But since you don't know what channel numbers your neighbors are using, you'll have to go with trial and error.

Or, download some free utilities to inspect your neighbors WiFi settings and find out their selected channels. ;)

chrisby

« Reply #8 on: 22 Nov 2010, 07:57 pm »
You can try switching the WiFi channel you have set on the AirPort Extreme. Picking a channel that is "farther away" in number distance from your neighbors numbers will result in less interference. But since you don't know what channel numbers your neighbors are using, you'll have to go with trial and error.

Or, download some free utilities to inspect your neighbors WiFi settings and find out their selected channels. ;)

belated thanks for the tip (since the issue has more or less been resolved, I haven't been monitoring this thread for a bit) -