Possible very reasonably priced video processor

ctviggen

Possible very reasonably priced video processor
« on: 30 Aug 2010, 03:44 pm »
This is a $2,500 video processor that is being closed out for a song:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1270960

They need to have a number of people sign up, though.  (That's why I label this as "possible"; the deal might not go through.)  I'm not sure I'm allowed to relate the price, but it's cheaper than the DVDO Edge (and supposedly better in most areas, too). 

Here's a discussion of this video processor:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=906321

ctviggen

Re: Possible very reasonably priced video processor
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2010, 04:55 pm »
Well, I bought one of these.  It was $300 for what was a $2,500 MSRP device.  That's a deal I couldn't pass up, especially since the family room is finally almost done, and video might need some help for a 92 inch screen.

jermmd

« Reply #2 on: 31 Aug 2010, 06:29 pm »
That's a great deal on a nice video processor. Your Proceed processor won't need to be upgraded for HDMI now. Unless you need HDMI 1.4 for 3D or HD audio, you should be good for a while.

Joe M.

ctviggen

« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2010, 06:43 pm »
Joe, I can't figure out what to do about the HD audio.  I installed 7 channels (and have the four surround channels to install), and I have an audio processor that will create 7 channels from 5, but does not support the HD audio modes.  So, I may use this for a while until I can afford a 7 channel receiver/preamp.  I'm not sure how many movies have 7 channels and whether it's worth it to spend another 1k or so just to get two more channels of info on certain disks.

ctviggen

« Reply #4 on: 31 Aug 2010, 06:50 pm »
I also note that I was originally going to buy the $500 Oppo Bluray player.  Now, I'm going to buy the $289 Oppo Bluray "transport" instead.  I've spent $100 more to get the Denon plus Oppo transport, but the Denon also will process all my other sources (HT computer, HD Homerun, etc.). 

jermmd

« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2010, 10:52 pm »
Joe, I can't figure out what to do about the HD audio.  I installed 7 channels (and have the four surround channels to install), and I have an audio processor that will create 7 channels from 5, but does not support the HD audio modes.  So, I may use this for a while until I can afford a 7 channel receiver/preamp.  I'm not sure how many movies have 7 channels and whether it's worth it to spend another 1k or so just to get two more channels of info on certain disks.

Bob,

I haven't heard HD audio and, frankly, I'm satisfied with DTS and Dolby digital for movie playback. My system is 5.1 and I won't be going to 7.1 surround. All of my music is flac via my Transporter. Does the Oppo transport decode audio? Use the bluray player analog outs and pass them through your receiver.

Off topic but worth mentioning: I just bought a 50" Samsung Plasma flat screen with a Samsung bluray player and 4 sets of 3D glasses (I got a super sweet deal). I now have 3D playback which is a pretty neat gimmick. It even converts 2D sources to 3D! My next projector is definitely going to have to offer 3D.

Joe

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 31 Aug 2010, 10:58 pm »
Bob,

I haven't heard HD audio and, frankly, I'm satisfied with DTS and Dolby digital for movie playback. My system is 5.1 and I won't be going to 7.1 surround. All of my music is flac via my Transporter. Does the Oppo transport decode audio? Use the bluray player analog outs and pass them through your receiver.

Off topic but worth mentioning: I just bought a 50" Samsung Plasma flat screen with a Samsung bluray player and 4 sets of 3D glasses (I got a super sweet deal). I now have 3D playback which is a pretty neat gimmick. It even converts 2D sources to 3D! My next projector is definitely going to have to offer 3D.

Joe

Going from lossy compression (DTS, DD, etc...) to lossless compression at higher rates is a big step up in quality.  While I won't say it is as noticeable as going from SD to HD video, it is definitely worth it to me.

George

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 31 Aug 2010, 11:06 pm »
That is a great deal!

jermmd

« Reply #8 on: 31 Aug 2010, 11:10 pm »
Going from lossy compression (DTS, DD, etc...) to lossless compression at higher rates is a big step up in quality.  While I won't say it is as noticeable as going from SD to HD video, it is definitely worth it to me.

George

George,

What receiver/processor are you using for movies?

joe

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #9 on: 31 Aug 2010, 11:36 pm »
George,

What receiver/processor are you using for movies?

joe

Denon 3808

You can get better for less as things keep getting cheaper and cheaper.

George