fix for the Sennheiser cable plug problem!

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
fix for the Sennheiser cable plug problem!
« on: 29 Aug 2010, 08:15 pm »
OK - this is for all of you that routinely do the "Sennheiser twitch" -- you know what I mean -- yanking / wiggling / unplugging and replugging the headset cables to get around the poor contact that develops over time as the headset jacks wear.

THERE IS A SOLUTION! :P   

If you have the Sennheiser HD580 or HD6xx series headphones and use them a lot, you are probably familiar with the headphone cable contact problem -- after a while, the jacks in the headphone cups lose some of their spring tension. Plus, the original cables were a bit fragile at the plug ends, as well.

Sennheiser upgraded the cable to fix the fragile wire ends, and that works. If you still have the old-style cable (with the mini-plug and adapter and tiny ear-wires), get the new-style replacement, you need it. And, of course, there are several after-market cables available, too.  But you are still left with the intermittent jack problem. Here's how to fix it:

Get some silver conductive grease from an electronics supply shop -- make sure you get "silver conductive grease", NOT "thermal grease", or any other kind. Then unplug the headphone cable ends from the phones, and apply a TINY amount to the tip and barrel of each plug on the cable end. Don't use much, apply it with the tip of a pin or needle. All you need is enough to lightly coat the plug. Too much and you are going to have problems with the cables shorting in the jacks. JUST A TOUCH!

Then plug the cable ends back in, and wiggle them around a bit (you'll be used to this part, if you've had the 'phones for a while...:-) ). That's it, you're done.

Try them out and see if that doesn't fix your intermittent connection problems. My bet is it will. It did on mine!