Amplifiers: What's your wattage?

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Amplifiers: What's your wattage?
« on: 29 Aug 2010, 12:13 pm »
So, how much power do you like or want?

Have you found a correlation between power output and sonic performance? I think that will depend on how loud you listen and other factors, such as room size, speaker sensitivity, etc..

When listening to 80's music and bluegrass, I like high power. When it comes to other genres, power output doesn't seem to matter as much because listening levels are around 1-5 watts. 

My rebuilt Mach II's are around 92-95db efficient. They get VERY loud with a 100 watt/ch amp running at an average of 15 watts per side. A 15w/channel amp will NOT drive them to the same levels. The headroom isn't there. Yet, they sound similar in the 1-5 watt range.

I wanted to run through this because it is VERY important to understand how wattage can effect sonic performance under some circumstances and not others.

Wind Chaser

Re: Amplifiers: What's your wattage?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2010, 12:39 pm »
I think another part of the equation is dynamic compression.  If a speaker rated 87 db at 1 watt can produce a maximum SPL of 102 db, there's no point in pushing it with more than 30 clean watts.

Guy 13

« Reply #2 on: 29 Aug 2010, 01:09 pm »
So, how much power do you like or want?

Have you found a correlation between power output and sonic performance? I think that will depend on how loud you listen and other factors, such as room size, speaker sensitivity, etc..

When listening to 80's music and bluegrass, I like high power. When it comes to other genres, power output doesn't seem to matter as much because listening levels are around 1-5 watts. 

My rebuilt Mach II's are around 92-95db efficient. They get VERY loud with a 100 watt/ch amp running at an average of 15 watts per side. A 15w/channel amp will NOT drive them to the same levels. The headroom isn't there. Yet, they sound similar in the 1-5 watt range.

I wanted to run through this because it is VERY important to understand how wattage can effect sonic performance under some circumstances and not others.
Hi Blair and AC members.
I have a 10wpc Niteshade SE amplifier driving a pair of GR Research V1 (97db) and the volume control is set at 12 o'clock and it's plenty loud for me even with my 30X30X9 feet listening room. The loudness at which the speaker will play depends also on the CD recording. (Rega Apollo CDP).
Later on, I will buy a 30wpc PP amplifier from Blair and see if I get more dynamics from the 30wpc.
Thanks and have a nice day.
Guy 13.

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2010, 01:25 pm »
Please Sir, give me your finest first watt you could manage, and I won't bother about the 2nd or 4th watt.

My speakers are about 94dB/m, and can get loud with 3 watts, so for me, 10 watts is nice.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2010, 02:23 pm »
I use 300wpc Class A.

srb

« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2010, 04:01 pm »
I use a 125W/ch @ 8ohms, 200W/ch @ 4ohms class A/B MOSFET solid state amplifier with my 86dB/6ohm, 89dB/4ohm and 91dB/4ohm speakers.

I have tried lower powered solid state amplifiers, which power them to room filling levels fine, but they didn't sould as good on the big dynamic peaks.

Steve

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2010, 07:36 pm »
My amp has 220W/channel and also has the Exicon "double-die" mosfets which means the power and current ratings are twice that of the standard mosfet. Large dynamic peaks are effortless.

The pre-amp volume is usually between 9:00 and 11:00 for CD's and vinyl so a lot of the amps power is not used except on peaks.

When the system is used for a movie the pre-amps volume is set to 3:00 and the separate surround processor controls the volume. On some action movies the processor volume is close to 0dB so having 440W is not overkill at all.

Wayne

decal

« Reply #7 on: 29 Aug 2010, 07:41 pm »
I have 12,000 watts of pure unadultrated raw.........wait a second,this ain't club polk !!!!!!!! :lol:

soundbitten1

« Reply #8 on: 29 Aug 2010, 07:55 pm »
My main amp is rated at 150 wpc.

wattage of secondary amps I use:

2bigears

« Reply #9 on: 29 Aug 2010, 08:03 pm »
 :D  1100 and it sounds very fine,real sweet..... :D

Mariusz

« Reply #10 on: 29 Aug 2010, 08:45 pm »
18,000 milliWATTS per channel. But that's because my speakers are really efficient.   :wink:

But it is always about the quality rather then quantity.   IMHO
 :thumb:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #11 on: 29 Aug 2010, 09:23 pm »
150 wpc on the main rig, about 14 watts dual mono on the second.

TONEPUB

« Reply #12 on: 29 Aug 2010, 10:38 pm »
System 1:  350 wpc via Burmester 911 mk.3
System 2:  1200 wpc vis McIntosh MC1.2 KW monos
System 3:  50 wpc via Conrad Johnson MV 50....

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #13 on: 30 Aug 2010, 12:38 am »
Hey folks- Don't forget the first question: Have you found any correlation between wattage and sonic performance?

This is a unique question. I am not talking about what happens when you're system is under powered. I am talking about actual sound quality before distortion from over driving comes into play.

More specifically:

A) Solidity of bass and bass management
B) Spontaneous power output (high dynamic range requests)
C) The sound stage and field
D) Space between instrumentation

and...whatever else you'd like to add.

First Watt importance: I completely understand where you are coming from. The thing is: That performance should be carried through for several watts.

Why only 50%? After 50% you're getting close to the amp's clipping region if the amp's rated power is at the onset of clipping.

Thebiker

« Reply #14 on: 30 Aug 2010, 02:54 am »
Main system, 40 watts in triode mode / channel with KT88's.  All the volume, clarity, soundstage I could want.  Dynamic range is not a problem, even playing Mahler at volume.  Bass is solid, but yes I do let a sub do the heavy lifting.

Secondary system, @22 watts in triode mode / channel with EL84's.  Speaker sensitivity at 91.5db and its all good IMHO.

bummrush

« Reply #15 on: 30 Aug 2010, 03:07 am »
100 watts from a Counterpoint Solid One E. Coda pre amp is used as is without gain punched in so essentially a passive  i guess, and has plenty of gain with Clements speakers 6 ohm 90 sensitivity,but even with 100 watts and 6 ohm 90 senitivity,those Clements still love a good jolt of power.
My counterpoint pre at this time has 24 db of gain which is a bit too much and doesnt let me very much of volume control,so working on getting the gain lowered on the Counterpoint so the volume control has more range,i can get by with how the gain is but still want to lower it.

WGH

« Reply #16 on: 30 Aug 2010, 03:12 am »
I am talking about actual sound quality before distortion from over driving comes into play.

I have never been able to over drive my AVA amp with my current speakers. I don't know how loud the VSA VR2's will go, I reach my limit way before the speakers do.

Wayne

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
« Reply #17 on: 30 Aug 2010, 03:32 am »
Hi Niteshade,

At normal listening levels, I find my Class A 3 watt amp play with more authority than my 250W behringer EP1500. Both are mosfet amps, but the latter operates in class AB. The small amp fails at option A, but does better in B,C and D.

Overall, high wattage doesn't guarantee sonic bliss.

werd

« Reply #18 on: 30 Aug 2010, 04:35 am »
both 2 channel at

650 watts in 8ohms
140 watts in 8ohms

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #19 on: 30 Aug 2010, 04:48 am »
well.....

main system.........30 watts 2ch tube bliss (GF)
HT system...........5x400 watts SS bliss (Sunfire)

both systems have high....about 97db speaks....main system OBs....HT has Arrays for fronts and rears....

living the dream......