Cheap and cheerful power conditioner

srb

Re: Cheap and cheerful power conditioner
« Reply #20 on: 30 Aug 2010, 12:07 am »
Silicone is often used in potting electronics to provide vibration and moisture resistance.  It is also able to withstand temperatures from 315 - 350 degrees Centigrade.

While I have seen it used in low voltage and/or low current modules, this is the first time I have seen it used in line voltage applications.  One of my reservations would be that insulated wires have an ampacity that is determined by either their use in free air or in designated sheath types, i.e. NM, UF, SJT, SVT, etc., not in several inches of silicone.  Another would be any possible migration into the receptacle contact area.

Steve

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #21 on: 30 Aug 2010, 12:14 am »
No,I'm not presuming anything.Accidents happen my friend.The Challenger space shuttle blew up and killed seven people.I'm sure some very competent folks designed it also.

Fortunately for us audio enthusiasts, a line conditioner isn't doing anything nearly as complicated as say, something like, uh, LAUNCHING a rocket ship into space.

As I said before, the UL stamp is meaningless to me in this context. It's not okay for you, fair enough. We can all decide for ourselves what is an acceptable risk. There's no need for snarky comments.

The Cheap and Cheerful and Lab circles have a lot of DIY building that run the gamut from amplifiers to line conditioners. Guess what...NONE OF IT is UL approved...so let's just move on.

decal

« Reply #22 on: 30 Aug 2010, 01:31 am »
What do you find snarky about my previous posts sir/madam.I was just stating a fact.If I've offended you,I am certainly sorry.Have a wonderful evening.

Mariusz

« Reply #23 on: 30 Aug 2010, 02:51 am »
As with all diy and custom build components (and mods) - use it at your own risk. 
It also applies to many chinese made products.

And please keep it civil
 :wink:

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #24 on: 30 Aug 2010, 03:48 am »
What do you find snarky about my previous posts sir/madam.I was just stating a fact.If I've offended you,I am certainly sorry.Have a wonderful evening.

Decal, you did state a fact. My apologies for getting my back up. I see red when I hear the expression "just saying". When I hear people throw that expression around it's usually meant as or to punctuate a wiseass remark, which is why I took offense.

No hard feelings, you have a wonderful evening as well. :D
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2010, 05:14 am by toxteth ogrady »

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #25 on: 30 Aug 2010, 05:18 am »
Silicone is often used in potting electronics to provide vibration and moisture resistance.  It is also able to withstand temperatures from 315 - 350 degrees Centigrade.

While I have seen it used in low voltage and/or low current modules, this is the first time I have seen it used in line voltage applications.  One of my reservations would be that insulated wires have an ampacity that is determined by either their use in free air or in designated sheath types, i.e. NM, UF, SJT, SVT, etc., not in several inches of silicone.  Another would be any possible migration into the receptacle contact area.

Steve

Right on the money -- that was the first thing I thought of when I saw the photo, as well.  Plus, the wiring devices (outlets, in non-code language :wink:) are also not rated for this use. 

It MIGHT be just fine -- but without testing at rated current draws, high ambient temps, low airflow, in constricted spaces, etc., etc. etc. there is really no way to tell if this is safe or not.

(BTW, I am a retired EE, among other things, I used to design computer room power systems for a living, so I know a bit about this subject.)

tvyankee

« Reply #26 on: 30 Aug 2010, 12:32 pm »
Hey,

If your looking for a great budget power conditioner i have for you. The Adept Response aR1P is a great conditioner for the money and i use 2 in my system already. I have one left over in great shape with about 50 hrs on it with all the packaging if you want. If your interested shot me a pm.

Thanks

srb

« Reply #27 on: 30 Aug 2010, 02:21 pm »
Hey,

If your looking for a great budget power conditioner i have for you. The Adept Response aR1P is a great conditioner for the money and i use 2 in my system already. I have one left over in great shape with about 50 hrs on it with all the packaging if you want. If your interested shot me a pm.

Hey,

The Adept Response aR1P has been replaced by the aR2P and sells for $695.  That wouldn't seem to qualify or belong in the Cheap and Cheerful HiFi circle.

Steve

PhilNYC

« Reply #28 on: 30 Aug 2010, 02:35 pm »

Hey,

The Adept Response aR1P has been replaced by the aR2P and sells for $695.  That wouldn't seem to qualify or belong in the Cheap and Cheerful HiFi circle.

Steve

I think he's saying he has a used aR1p that he can sell for cheap...

MttBsh

« Reply #29 on: 30 Aug 2010, 03:22 pm »
I have to admit to rolling my eyes a couple of times reading this thread  :deadhorse:. I based my decision to buy the Thingee on 3 factors:

1. Two positive reviews stating that it provided great sound improvements, in line with those of much more expensive power conditioners

2. I respect Gilbert Yeung and have a hard time believing he would be selling a product that has a good chance of bursting into flame (maybe I'm naive)

3. It only cost $260.00 including shipping

I like that it's ugly. That tells me the design goal was not asthetics, but keeping costs down.

If I experience improvements on par with those of the reviewers, I'll be happy, regardless of the electrical engineering behind it.

Matt

TheChairGuy

« Reply #30 on: 30 Aug 2010, 08:16 pm »
I doubt that Blue Circle can legally sell them in the US. UL would never give it a stamp of approval.

Underwriter's Laboratory (UL) is a voluntary standard...you do not necessarily need it to sell equipment in the US.

I don't know about CSA (whether its mandatory or voluntary), but as Blue Circle is a Canadian company, they should probably know this.

John

RCduck7

« Reply #31 on: 30 Aug 2010, 09:54 pm »
Is the Majik conditioner also available for Europe as a 230V unit??

srb

« Reply #32 on: 30 Aug 2010, 10:15 pm »
I like that it's ugly. That tells me the design goal was not asthetics, but keeping costs down.

Since it is unknown what filtering components may or may not be present inside, that tells me that it's also possible the design goal was keeping profits up.

I would imagine there's got to be more than just an IEC connector wired to a duplex receptacle in there, though.  But you're right, if you think you experience improvements, that's really all that matters.

Steve

tvyankee

« Reply #33 on: 30 Aug 2010, 10:17 pm »
Phil,

That was what i was saying. I do have a used one that i would sell for cheap.

Thanks

Savage

« Reply #34 on: 31 Aug 2010, 08:44 am »
I just bought a lot of 5 UPS's from av123's auction for $55. I think that qualifies as cheap, even though in a cheap system, I don't even think power conditioning exists! Is power conditioning when you rub a little armor-all on your surge protector? I always believed in UPS's used as Power Conditioners as the power end is isolated from the charging end, and it least everyone agrees they actually do something.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #35 on: 31 Aug 2010, 01:33 pm »
Underwriter's Laboratory (UL) is a voluntary standard...you do not necessarily need it to sell equipment in the US.
I don't know about CSA (whether its mandatory or voluntary), but as Blue Circle is a Canadian company, they should probably know this.
John
"UL" is not a "voluntary standard" it is a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL) as are CSA, ETL, TUV and others.
As to selling untested electrical equipment, that should be left to the company's attorney and insurance provider.   

MttBsh

« Reply #36 on: 9 Sep 2010, 08:31 pm »
I received my Blue Circle Audio Peed Al Sea Thingee Power Conditioner (try saying that 3 times quickly) yesterday. Just the day before I received some (already broken in) Black Sand violet Z1 power cables, so I plugged one from my Brickwall filter into the Thingee, then another from the thingee to my Audio Sector dac and a third into my Eastern Electric Minimax tube preamp, then an LAT AC-2 power cable into my Almarro Tube amp. My CDP is one of those Samsung Blu-Ray players that looks very cool hanging on the wall. but nothing spectacular sound wise until it feeds the magnificent Audio Sector dac. My speakers are Cain & Cain Abbys with T900A supertweeters and a Cain & Cain Bailey sub. Now that we've got all that out of the way let's talk about the Thingee.

After turning everything on and playing the first cut of Ian Anderson's excellent "Divinities" CD I noticed a "slight" improvement, and honestly, I'm still getting used to the wonderful results from the Black Sands, so it was a challenge to tell if the Thingee did anything more. And I'm far too impatient to go through the plug/unplug rigamarole and take notes, so let's just say the difference was subtle. But I've let the Thingee do it's thingee for about 20 hours now and it has come alive. I didn't really expect a power filter to "break in" but it has clearly been doing just that.

So how would I describe the differences the Thingee has made?

First, there is a clear increase in 3 dimensionality - what I like to call the "sound bubble" - also a greater sense of "ease" and an almost "tactile" or "thereness" quality to the music. Background details have emerged farther back in the soundstage. I'm a red wine drinker and it reminds me of how a wine after being decanted and allowed to breath opens up and releases its flavors and richness. OK, I've used one too many analogies; suffice it to say that this decidedly unattractive Thingee does exactly what it promises to do. I have virtually no experience with power filters so I can't compare it with other equipment out there.... and no one ever accused me of being an electrical engineer, so I have no idea what it's doing from a technical perspective. But in terms of 'bang for the buck" I've only found switching from stock tubes to a good compliment of NOS tubes on an amp or preamp to bring equivalent results for the money ($250.00). I also get the feeling that the Thingee is still breaking in, so I'll report back in a few more days if the improvements continue.

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #37 on: 12 Sep 2010, 03:13 am »
Excellent news, Matt! Thanks for the update.

I was going to order the PLC Thingee myself but found a great deal on another power conditioner which I purchased impulsively; Should have it by Tuesday, report to follow. Nice to know the Blue Circle is a solid alternative in case the one I bought doesn't do diddly.

Speaking of cheap tweaks - today I changed a couple of my outlets to the $10 cryoed Pass & Seymour outlets that Dave from Pi Audio sells. I had changed the outlets in my old house but never got around to it in my new home. I forgot what a difference it can make. Absolutely the best bang for your buck tweak imo.

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #38 on: 12 Sep 2010, 03:15 pm »

kingnubian

« Reply #39 on: 18 Sep 2010, 03:47 pm »
Here's another interesting option for AC filtration inside the component:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AC-power-line-filter-Hi-Fi-and-Hi-END-audio-DIY-/180553953633?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a09dab161

I have been looking at this part with interest as well & would love to hear some real world usage opinions of it. I'm not sure it would be a good fit with my SDS-254 amp.

I have also been looking at this part:
http://shop.41hz.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=697&catid=9