Cheap and cheerful power conditioner

toxteth ogrady

Cheap and cheerful power conditioner
« on: 29 Aug 2010, 02:52 am »
I saw this today on Audiogon - http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?powrcond&1287315714&/Blue-Circle-Audio-PLC

Anyone try this?

Definitely qualifies for cheap and cheerful. Think I might give it a go.

Big Red Machine

Re: Cheap and cheerful power conditioner
« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2010, 03:50 am »
You would benefit as much or more by using the batch of Maher PE-1's for sale here.  A great deal.

Mariusz

« Reply #2 on: 29 Aug 2010, 04:06 am »
Interesting find.
Personally, I am very cautious when it comes to tweaks, snake oil or power compensation products.
One manufacturer resurrect my faith with power conditioner and it was Majik.

Never know, this one might be just as exiting. 

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2010, 04:39 am »
Interesting find.
Personally, I am very cautious when it comes to tweaks, snake oil or power compensation products.

Believe me, I'm right there with you. This one is cheap enough though that it won't burn too much if it doesn't do anything.

Tell me more about how the Majik restored your faith in power conditioning. I've read some positive comments regarding the Majik, but I'd be interested to know what specifically did it do to the sound of your system?

MttBsh

« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2010, 04:56 am »
After reading the very favorable review at:

http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/blue_circle_peed_al_sea.htm

I ordered the 6 outlet version of the PLC Thingee powerline conditioner a couple of days ago and will post my impressions when it arrives from Canada.

Matt

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2010, 05:01 am »
Cool beans. :thumb:

Will wait for your report.

Mariusz

« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2010, 05:39 am »
Believe me, I'm right there with you. This one is cheap enough though that it won't burn too much if it doesn't do anything.

Tell me more about how the Majik restored your faith in power conditioning. I've read some positive comments regarding the Majik, but I'd be interested to know what specifically did it do to the sound of your system?

Not to take it too far off topic, but in short:
it gives my system blacker background, more air, fainted details are more distinctive and comprehensively portrait. It also helped reduce noise which was fainting through and back into my speakers.
Lately I happened to be blessed with chance of evaluating some cool gear but setting it all up in temporary room/system proved to be a challenge. Majik always made it a whole lot easier.
And most importantly, it stays out of the way.......like in this setup(By the right spk.):

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #7 on: 29 Aug 2010, 05:54 am »
Nice set up!

Thanks for the description. Perhaps one day I'll give the Majik a shot.

p.s. nice turntables ya got, though that Lenco needs to be in a proper plinth to demonstrate what a world class table it is (have 2 myself)

Mariusz

« Reply #8 on: 29 Aug 2010, 06:14 am »
Thanks
It is only a temp.
Lenco needs a lot of TLC.
My audio adventure is a work in progress.
 :thumb:

I will be also interested in initial reports about Blue Circle. :wink:

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #9 on: 29 Aug 2010, 12:49 pm »
I doubt that Blue Circle can legally sell them in the US. UL would never give it a stamp of approval.

Guy 13

« Reply #10 on: 29 Aug 2010, 01:13 pm »
I doubt that Blue Circle can legally sell them in the US. UL would never give it a stamp of approval.
Hi.
In Canada CSA won't give them any approval, that's for sure.
Guy 13.

srb

« Reply #11 on: 29 Aug 2010, 01:51 pm »
The unit may have excellent power conditioning for the price, but lack of UL or CSA approval aside, the construction method of PVC pipe and giant blob of silicone just isn't my cup of tea.

Steve

navi

« Reply #12 on: 29 Aug 2010, 03:16 pm »
they should have at least covered up the silicon. that looks ugly.

wushuliu

« Reply #13 on: 29 Aug 2010, 04:53 pm »
Clean AC/Power conditioning has become the second most important element in sound quality behind speakers as far as I'm concerned. Once you experience it you'll never go back. At least, if you live in cities with crappy power like L.A.. Benefits are the same for anything tv/tvideo related. I DIY my own stuff (aside from APC conditioner/regulators) but if I had the dough I would get the Majiks, they look like the real deal.

I have some DIY parallel conditioners similar in concept to the Maher PEs, they're very effective.
« Last Edit: 29 Aug 2010, 07:19 pm by wushuliu »

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #14 on: 29 Aug 2010, 07:21 pm »
Gilbert Yeung of Blue Circle Audio is a brilliant designer so the lack of a UL stamp is of no concern to me. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't feel that way if this was built by some hack in his garage.

And no question it's ugly, but that's why it's cheap. If you're familiar with Gilbert's work then you would know he's a very talented but eccentric guy with some hilariously unusual ideas.

The appearance of this thing doesn't matter to me because it would be tucked behind my rack anyway. If it was a problem, another piece of pvc slightly larger in diameter and cut a little longer could act as a sleeve and hide the silicone.

Looking forward to your report Matt!

decal

« Reply #15 on: 29 Aug 2010, 07:30 pm »
the lack of a UL stamp is of no concern to me

I bet it would be to your insurance company if it caused a fire.Just saying.

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #16 on: 29 Aug 2010, 07:35 pm »
You're presuming there's something wrong with the design to cause a fire. Again, this is designed by someone very competent.

decal

« Reply #17 on: 29 Aug 2010, 07:50 pm »
No,I'm not presuming anything.Accidents happen my friend.The Challenger space shuttle blew up and killed seven people.I'm sure some very competent folks designed it also.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #18 on: 29 Aug 2010, 08:06 pm »
Interesting find.

If it works for you, it'd be wonderful.  But, be careful with these conditioners, claiming to do wonders to one's system.  The result (sound) may surprise you.  My personal experience has been like what the Chinese say, "Add another urn, you gain another ghost!"  Proof:  I bought a reputable company's Powerplant several years ago.  Because they typically really take apart your power and re-constitute it.  The result?  I didn't like the resultant sound (in my system, that is!).  It may just surprise you.  I sold the thing.  Then, I also had one of their newer Duet.  It just murdered the highs.  The resulting sound came out dull.  I have other friends who had the same experience.

Blue Circle is a reputable brand.  I just want to say that these gadgets don't work on a universal basis in one direction.  If it works, it's a beaut; if it doesn't, it's a piece of shXX.  I subscribe to the "Caveat Emptor" rule, so no complaint.  If they permit home audition, that'd be the most ideal way to add to one's audio arsenal. :thumb:

Mariusz

« Reply #19 on: 29 Aug 2010, 08:32 pm »
Home auditions are essential, especially when shopping for accessories and power tweaks. I would never even look at Majik Buss if it wasn't for in home free trial offer. It proved itself right out of the box.  So, convincing myself that it works for my system wasn't really necessary.   
I previously used power regenerators, various conditioners, quantum technology etc.  All had some benefits and shortcomings.  Only you can decide what works for you.  Majik works for me - haven't found a thing to dislike about it yet. 
 :thumb: