Camcorder info?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Camcorder info?
« on: 26 Aug 2010, 06:04 pm »
Need low-end consumer camcorder.  First priority is audio performance with external pro stereo condenser mic (battery powered). 

Would appreciate suggestions or referral to another advice forum.

The external mic input on some new camcorders looks like a submini computer.  Will such inputs accept two XLR mics via adapter?

When finances permit will record audio with portable Korg MR1000 5.6MHz 1-bit (2x SACD rate, highest performing commercial digital) synced to the video.

bunnyma357

Re: Camcorder info?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2010, 06:11 pm »
This is the common way to get XLR's into mini connector - there are several companies that manufacture a variation.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/672719-REG/Beachtek_DXA_2T_DXA_2T_Universal_Compact_Camcorder.html

A nice feature is that is mounts to the camera tripod mount, so it effectively becomes part of the camera.

Jim C

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
Re: Camcorder info?
« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2010, 06:41 pm »
Thanks very much.  It looks about perfect.  Is any particular make/model such interface considered highest in sound quality?   

I suppose the weakest link in the audio chain is the mic preamp inside the camcorder and not the recording format.  I further suppose most consumer models share the exact same mic preamp circuit. 

A consumer grade "audiophile camcorder" is desired, with audiophile XLR mic inputs and audiophile recording format in lieu of other features common on products in its price range.  The Zoom camcorder is close but I still prefer pro external mics and its video performance (especially in dim lighting) is below par.