Harvey Rosenberg/Discombobularity

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
Harvey Rosenberg/Discombobularity
« on: 24 Aug 2010, 09:47 pm »
Hi Asylumites,in an article I read by the late Dr.Gizmo,Harvey Rosenberg he discribed a new type of distortion called(Discombobularity).The article was in Listener and was called(How to Build an Aerial Supercharger).What he stated was that if you had a vacuum tube amp,and you wanted to bi-amp with a sub woofer,you would get a listeners fatigue(Discombobularity) if you used a vacuum tube amp,say push-pull with a solid state amp,for the sub woofer.Push-pull needed push-pull also on the other end(Sub woofer).The same with solid state,which he didn't like the best needed solid state.This brings my question up:I want to build a Decware Zen Triode kit,know I need the effciant speakers,but was wondering if my sub I made,using a Bash solid state amp would mate with the Zen to bring up the low end?I would also like to hear from anyone who built or heard the Zen kit.....thanks...sincerely Mark Korda(mark.korda@myfairpoint.net)

Scott F.

Re: Harvey Rosenberg/Discombobularity
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2010, 12:13 am »
Though I haven't built the Zen, I do mix triodes and SS in my system. I use an AKSA amp to drive my woofers (Altec 416s) and a 300b (or 2a3) to drive my Lowthers. With all due respect to Giz, I don't have any discombobularity...at least that I hear. I think it sounds pretty coherent actually.