Back To The Future

Tbadder1

Back To The Future
« on: 25 Feb 2004, 06:55 pm »
I've been delaying this for years.  I need to jump back into vinyl; I got 2000 LPs and nothing to play them on.  Where in god's name do I start.  Generally I like to begin slowly with something that has a clear upgrade path.  Am I describing anything out there?

How important is the phono box?  How much should I spend as a percentage (roughly) on arm, board, cart., phono?  What's the most important criteria for build quality, etc.?  I know I'm asking a lot; any help is appreciated.

mcrespo71

Back To The Future
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2004, 07:06 pm »
What's your budget and what type of music do you listen to?  All of this is moot probably because once PA hijacks this thread, YOU WILL OWN A TECHNICS TURNTABLE- Resistance is futile! :lol:

Psychicanimal

Back To The Future
« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2004, 08:46 pm »
Quote from: mcrespo71
What's your budget and what type of music do you listen to?  All of this is moot probably because once PA hijacks this thread, YOU WILL OWN A TECHNICS TURNTABLE- Resistance is futile! :lol:

Zaikesman, who did the 1200's tonearm fluid damper review on Audiogon, has a Camelot phono pre and a Mark Levinson linestage.

nathanm

Back To The Future
« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2004, 09:10 pm »
Tbadder - In all seriousness, I happen to have a spare Technics deck laying unused that with a little TLC (new stylus) just might be dandy.  Just an FYI.  I got it from a friend 3 years ago and only 1 channel worked, but I think it just needs a new tonearm cable, can't remember the specifics - I'll have to look at it again.  I don't know the model number but it has that strobe light doohickey on the side and the nifty dot patterns on the platter bevel, plus a pitch adjustment knob.  (Which unfortunately for you can only be turned by a fully trained and certified audiophile pitch control expert showing the proper notarized paperwork.)  But heck, it'd be super cheap! :thumb:

mcrespo71

Back To The Future
« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2004, 09:22 pm »
Zaikesman, who did the 1200's tonearm fluid damper review on Audiogon, has a Camelot phono pre and a Mark Levinson linestage.

And so..................................... ........  It Begins. :cry:

The Smiths- vinyl-       oh, and listening to it at the wrong speed, pitch, and with lead ears on a POS, waste of $, belt drive player

Brad

Back To The Future
« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2004, 09:29 pm »
Tbadder,

Sounds like you're describing a Teres turntable.  :idea:

GRD

Back To The Future
« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb 2004, 12:57 am »
I think it may be more of a question of where do you stop versus where do you start.  I've been through several phono stages and 2 TT in a year.  I started with a resurrected Technics and a Radio Shack phono stage just for fun and moved up through the Bugle and Cornet after upgrading to the MMF 5.  But I didn't have very many albums to start.  I kept upgrading because it kept sounding better.  There are suitable choices at every budget level.  With 2000 albums, consider getting a good table and phono stage.  See if you can listen to a few before you decide.

Tonto Yoder

Back To The Future
« Reply #7 on: 26 Feb 2004, 03:13 am »
Your mentioning a "clear upgrade path" brings to mind the VPI HW19 series--you can start with the Jr. and upgrade through stages to Mk IV
http://www.vpiindustries.com/hw19.htm

Tbadder1

Back To The Future
« Reply #8 on: 26 Feb 2004, 02:23 pm »
I was thinking somewhere in the 2 grand range to start, gradually moving up to the 4 to 6 range depending on how happy I am.  I listen to all kinds of music, indie rock, alt.country, opera, be-bop, some world, my father's music (frankie, Deano) classic rock, love Mahler.  So i guess I'm looking for an all-purpose set-up.

P.S.  I'm so unmechanical it's scary--that's part of the reason I've been shying away.  I can barely dress myself much less calibrate a turntable et al.

Marbles

Back To The Future
« Reply #9 on: 26 Feb 2004, 02:39 pm »
Definately investigate a TERES turntable.  After you get one, you won't feel a need to upgrade much  :wink:

You can buy a very nice arm new from 2juki off agon, and you can get a VERY good rebuilt cart from Klaus at Odyssey.

If you want to buy a new cart, the Shelter series have a very good rep.

Teres has a forum here.

I have an upgraded Hagtech (yes he has a forum here) Cornet phono pre that was modded by Bolder cables (forum here).

I am very very happy with the setup.

If you end up with an SME IV arm, throw out the included cable and replace it with something better.  In my case I like the Bolder cable Nitro series.

WARNING: If you go the TERES route, you will probably be starting at the high end of your ending budget.

Good luck.

JoshK

Back To The Future
« Reply #10 on: 26 Feb 2004, 03:26 pm »
yeah but if you buy the teres you won't want to go any further.  It will be the beginning AND the end.

Marbles

Back To The Future
« Reply #11 on: 26 Feb 2004, 03:35 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
yeah but if you buy the teres you won't want to go any further.  It will be the beginning AND the end.

My feelings exactly.....

mcrespo71

Back To The Future
« Reply #12 on: 26 Feb 2004, 09:57 pm »
Is there anyhere in Milwaukee where you can actually audition turntables?

Michael

Tbadder1

Back To The Future
« Reply #13 on: 27 Feb 2004, 05:27 am »
dang!  that's a good question.  the scene here in Milwaukee consists of two decent stores that i know of.  one that i love, treat you right , no pressure, and unfortunately can't afford.  the other pressure, no fun, not much talk, but more affordable.

mcrespo71

Back To The Future
« Reply #14 on: 27 Feb 2004, 03:18 pm »
What analog do they carry at the "good" store in Milwaukee?  You could always make a trip to Chicago to hear stuff.  Just call ahead to have the store set up the tables.  It's hard with vinyl, but clearly going to hear the decks for yourself beats any anecdotal evidence you can get on the net.

Michael

Wayne1

Back To The Future
« Reply #15 on: 27 Feb 2004, 04:38 pm »
Along with Josh and Marbles, I am firmly in the Teres camp. It does make it hard to consider a turntable without being able to listen to it. If you ever find yourself in the Denver/Boulder area, you can make an appointment to visit Chris Brady and get a demo of all the different variations that Teres offers. If you are at all into DIY, you can save some bucks by building it yourself, as Josh did.

I picked up my Monkeywood base unfinshed and had a blast doing the final finish work.

Teres does have some good deals now on some different wood bases that they are no longer going to offer, as well as a few tonearms: http://www.teresaudio.com/sale.html

The arm and cartridge combination is as important as the deck itself. I ended up with a modded Rega RB-200 and a Shelter 501 MK2 at Chris' suggestion. I think it is a very good combination for the money.

The phono preamp will have more to do with the final sound than the TT, arm and cartridge, for the money involved. You do need to have a very, very good base to build on, but you will hear greater differences between phono stages than TTs, for the same amount of money spent.

With vinyl, I do prefer the sound of tubes and the Hagerman Cornet has fulfilled all my wants for vinyl playback. It is very sensitve to what tubes are used. You can easily put $200.00 into tubes alone.

If you decide to go with a low output moving coil cartridge, you should also look into a step-up transformer. Some Cornet owners use the Lundahl transformers sold by K &  K Audio. Others use the S & B sold by Bent Audio.

The possibilities for mixing and matching are almost endless and very confusing. For me, seeing and hearing the Teres made up my mind. As others have suggested, try to get away for an afternoon or so to a few stores that carry TTs to take a listen to see what turns you on.

If you ever do get out to Colorado, drop me a line and we can try to get together so you can listen to my rig.