Aaaack! Mono is out!

smata67

Aaaack! Mono is out!
« on: 24 Aug 2010, 01:02 am »
I have a pair of "mono Khartago Extreme SEs," whatever that is!  One just went out!  I keep mine on 24/7 like Klaus recommends and something just didn't sound right tonight.  One of them is out.  I swapped RCA inputs and no change.  I swapped speaker outs and the speakers swapped, so I'm sure its one of the monos.  I think its the speaker relays, I can lightly hear the sound from the other speakers.  I'm going to call Klaus, but how long is it going to take to get my system back up?  I know Klaus is really busy right now.

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
Re: Aaaack! Mono is out!
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2010, 01:25 am »
Check the fuse at the IEC inlet.  It is probably blown. There is another one in the compartment on the IEC.

smata67

« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2010, 12:16 pm »
Klaus told me to check the internal fuses, and sure enough, one side both were blown.  Replaced, blown again.  Damn!  Probably output transistors.  How often do these go?  I have good ventilation and I've measured the heat sink temperatures at 170F which is quite low.

laserboi

« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2010, 05:06 pm »
I know it's not the answer you're looking for but electronics can fail at any time for any number of reasons.  If it's not the fuses then you're best bet is taking advantage of Klaus's 20 year warranty.  I did with my Stratos Stereo and Klaus took great care of me.  Don't expect rapid turn around time as his operation is a 2-3 man operation but know that he will take care of you.

This is the reason I always have a back-up amp just incase.  Prepare for the worst and hope for the best!

Good Luck.

smata67

« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2010, 03:58 pm »
Agreed, a backup will be nice to have, I'm missing my late night listening sessions already and its only been 2 days!  Klaus promised a quick turnaround, top notch support from Odyssey, as usual.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 5 Sep 2010, 10:19 pm »
I have a pair of "mono Khartago Extreme SEs," whatever that is!  One just went out!  I keep mine on 24/7 like Klaus recommends and something just didn't sound right tonight.  One of them is out.  I swapped RCA inputs and no change.  I swapped speaker outs and the speakers swapped, so I'm sure its one of the monos.  I think its the speaker relays, I can lightly hear the sound from the other speakers.  I'm going to call Klaus, but how long is it going to take to get my system back up?  I know Klaus is really busy right now.
Quote: I keep mine on 24/7
This is the problem of leaving the unit always power on, it is open all the time to possible problems of public power supply grid.
Iam assuming your equip was damaged by the electrical mains, as Odyssey amps have a huge 20 years, surely it will not self destroy by being on all the time.
Regards

smata67

« Reply #6 on: 5 Sep 2010, 11:00 pm »
I have a "Square D" lightning arrestor to ground on my main panel and nothing else seems to have been affected by a "power surge" if it occurred and I certainly have sensitive electronics powered on, things like 24/7 fiber optic modems (still subject to power glitches) and $6000 video systems (lcd).  In the future, I do not intend on leaving on 24/7, this is just asking for trouble.  I listen primarily on weekends, so should not be an issue.  I will switch off during the week, totally disconnected power via a physical disconnect at the amps.

Nicholas Bedworth

• That's me, the one with the glasses...
    • DigitalDirect Website and demo
« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2010, 01:22 am »
You can do better on the power conditioning side of things. Check out www.audio-magic.com for some innovative units. Jerry will be happy to explain how it all works, but basically one needs to clean up the hot, neutral and ground, each of which requires somewhat different approaches.

My system has one of his Oracle conditioners, which is behind a Richard Gray Power Company choke/isolation transformer. That helps keep things under control.

We have frequent power failures here in Hawaii, and so far, nothing has phased the Odyssey amps.