RM 40 Driver Reconfiguration

errivera

« on: 25 Feb 2004, 01:30 pm »
I have been browsing this forum for quite some time. Having been very intrigued by VMPS' first line of speakers in '77 or '78 (those suckers really put out some bass), I have a question regarding the driver configuration of the RM40.

I continue to question why the mid-bass driver was put up close to the ceiling. Actually, if it were closer to the ceiling I think that might be good however, hanging somewhere about 6 feet from the floor and 2 feet (on average) from the ceiling, I think that the mid-bass reproduction suffers.

I know this has been discussed in the past but I wonder if Brian will at some time try a different driver configuration with the mid-bass above the bass. I know how critical driver placement can be. An old pair of Allison One speakers I owned many years ago put the bass drivers close to the floor for this very reason (bass frequency extension).

Any ideas regarding this?   :o

JoshK

« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2004, 11:53 pm »
well it looks as though the RM40 cabinet design is pretty much set in stone, especially now that MLS took up production of cabinets and they are the same config.  I wondered if the advent of the RM/X would make BC ponder putting the midbass on top of the megawoofer then a 4 stack of mids with an adjustable tweeter pod on top of that.  Guess not.