5 different recordings - how do I pick

Will2

5 different recordings - how do I pick
« on: 22 Aug 2010, 12:19 pm »
Hi,

I hope this is in the correct circle (if not - please move me Bob) but I have a question about CD recordings and their quality.  For example, right now I'm wanting to get the Tommy Emmanuel "Only" CD and when I look on Amazon I find 5 different recordings.  http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=tommy%20emmanuel%20only

This happens often and the prices are sometimes wildly different.  I mostly go for the least expensive used version that seems in good shape and from a highly and regularly rated seller but I've always wondered if the much more expensive ones are somehow much better quality recordings.  Are there any suggestions as to how I can find out the quality differential in such situations?

Cheers
Will

K Shep

Re: 5 different recordings - how do I pick
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2010, 12:48 pm »
Hi,

I hope this is in the correct circle (if not - please move me Bob) but I have a question about CD recordings and their quality.  For example, right now I'm wanting to get the Tommy Emmanuel "Only" CD and when I look on Amazon I find 5 different recordings.  http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=tommy%20emmanuel%20only

This happens often and the prices are sometimes wildly different. I mostly go for the least expensive used version that seems in good shape and from a highly and regularly rated seller but I've always wondered if the much more expensive ones are somehow much better quality recordings.  Are there any suggestions as to how I can find out the quality differential in such situations?

Cheers
Will

Purchase the least expensive CD.  I often buy the Original recording remastered if available.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: 5 different recordings - how do I pick
« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2010, 02:11 am »
I mostly go for the least expensive used version that seems in good shape and from a highly and regularly rated seller but I've always wondered if the much more expensive ones are somehow much better quality recordings.

As for "Only"...the "newer" re-release contains five "Bonus Tracks" of previously unreleased recordings. Remixed & Remastered by the original engineer/producer. Nice....more Tommy !! :thumb: