Is anyone building the DIY Pass F-5

Russellc

Is anyone building the DIY Pass F-5
« on: 20 Aug 2010, 01:17 pm »
Recently finished this one, and what a gem it is.  I've seen interest in the B-1 here, this is the next step.  Pics this eve.

Russellc

sts9fan

Re: Is anyone building the DIY Pass F-5
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2010, 01:34 pm »
I have all the parts.  I plan to one day put it in my ZenV9 box. 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2010, 02:09 pm »
I have all the parts.  I plan to one day put it in my ZenV9 box. 

Me too. I have Cviller's boards along with Peter Daniel's Universal PS boards. I also have the boards for the F4, Aleph 30, and Aleph J-X. My Direct Coupled B1 boards are coming and that will be built before the amps though.

The Class D SDS254 amp is currently on the soldering bench.

Too many projects and too little time.

Anand.

sts9fan

« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2010, 03:09 pm »
I have peter's boards.  I wish I had the others as they are MUCH roomier.  I did a bit of a board purge a few months ago.  Only have the F5 and F4 left.  Nobody wanted the F4 boards.  I also have peters PS boards I just need to figure them out.

Kris

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2010, 03:29 pm »
Figuring out Peter's PS Boards is simple.

See picture below to understand the regulator portion of his PS board (just a conventional series regulator):

You can bypass the regulator section with (4) 0.47 ohm Panasonic resistors which is what I do, as
I use them as a CRC power supply. I don't use the regulator section as I am fully saturated with Paul Hynes' or Salas' shunt regulators, and I use the shunt regulator at the output of the CRC supply. Think of the CRC section as a 'pre' regulator. In one instance, like in my Katalyst power supply, I replaced the resistor with a choke for an added sonic benefit. It became a Pi filter or CLC supply then.

The board is very flexible as it can use 3 terminal diodes or conventional 2 terminal diodes. I use the MUR3060 which are 3 terminal ultrafast diodes.

Further info here.

Best,
Anand.
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2010, 02:26 am by poseidonsvoice »

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #5 on: 20 Aug 2010, 06:09 pm »
Christ, this is addictive.

I've dabbled in diy, but never like this. I've just put together a class d amp, right after building my turntable and the resonating speakers I built before that. Yesterday I ordered dcB1 buffer boards and today I'm going to order the Lighter Note LDR kit. Now this?!?

I'll buy the boards from Peter and join in once I finish the buffer and LDR kit. Looking forward to see how this thread progresses!

sts9fan

« Reply #6 on: 20 Aug 2010, 06:31 pm »
I am really waiting for Nelson to put out the plans for one of the crossovers. 

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
« Reply #7 on: 20 Aug 2010, 07:24 pm »
Hi guys,

I plan on building the F5 by point to point wiring. Current limiting circuit and thermistors will be removed too =)

Getting the matched Jfets will be tricky though.

Russellc

« Reply #8 on: 20 Aug 2010, 09:18 pm »
I have peter's boards.  I wish I had the others as they are MUCH roomier.  I did a bit of a board purge a few months ago.  Only have the F5 and F4 left.  Nobody wanted the F4 boards.  I also have peters PS boards I just need to figure them out.

Kris

ask away about Peter's F-5 boards, that's what I'm using and if you followed any of my build on DIY and AK, you'll see I asked about every stupid question concerning them!

Russellc

Russellc

« Reply #9 on: 20 Aug 2010, 09:20 pm »
Hi guys,

I plan on building the F5 by point to point wiring. Current limiting circuit and thermistors will be removed too =)

Getting the matched Jfets will be tricky though.

Check with member Blues over on DIY.

Russellc

Russellc

« Reply #10 on: 20 Aug 2010, 09:24 pm »
Christ, this is addictive.

I've dabbled in diy, but never like this. I've just put together a class d amp, right after building my turntable and the resonating speakers I built before that. Yesterday I ordered dcB1 buffer boards and today I'm going to order the Lighter Note LDR kit. Now this?!?

I'll buy the boards from Peter and join in once I finish the buffer and LDR kit. Looking forward to see how this thread progresses!

I think I got the last of Peter's F-5 boards, but it hasnt arrived yet.  I think Cviller still has some, but there in transit back to Denmark and should be available again shortly.  Also the Tech-DIY store is supposed to be coming out with kits for the F-5 and a few others.  It is well worth building!  I also have the B-1, and have recently received boards for the DC B-1 group buy on DIY.

russellc

Russellc

« Reply #11 on: 20 Aug 2010, 09:25 pm »
I am really waiting for Nelson to put out the plans for one of the crossovers.

I'm still waiting for the Pearl 2 article.  Have the boards and all the matched fets, it is supposed to be released shortly.

Russellc

Russellc

« Reply #12 on: 20 Aug 2010, 09:28 pm »
Figuring out Peter's PS Boards is simple.

See picture below to understand the regulator portion of his PS board (just a conventional series regulator):

You can bypass the regulator section with (4) 0.47 ohm Panasonic resistors which is what I do, as
I use them as a CRC power supply. I don't use the regulator section as I am fully saturated with Paul Hynes' or Salas' shunt regulators, and I use the shunt regulator at the output of the CRC supply. Think of the CRC section as a 'pre' regulator. In one instance, like in my Katalyst power supply, I replaced the resistor with a choke for an added sonic benefit. It became a Pi filter or CLC supply then.

The board is very flexible as it can use 3 terminal diodes or conventional 2 terminal diodes. I use the also MUR3060 which are 3 terminal ultrafast diodes.

Further info here.

Best,
Anand.

On the F-5 regulators option isnt used.  With the F-5, I used 16 MUR 3060 diodes, also 3 legged.  They are mounted on Peter's diode boards.

Russellc

sondale

« Reply #13 on: 20 Aug 2010, 10:17 pm »
Hi,

I used Peters boards for my F5s removing the thermistors and the current limiting - an excellent sounding amp. At the moment I am listening to some jazz cds through a Buffalo 32 directly into the F5s - glorious.

Just make sure you do not short the speakers!!!

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #14 on: 21 Aug 2010, 02:07 am »
Recently finished this one, and what a gem it is.  I've seen interest in the B-1 here, this is the next step.  Pics this eve.

Russellc

Okay blabbermouth  :lol:, where are the pics you promised? Eager diy'ers wanna lookie :o...

Anand.

Russellc

« Reply #15 on: 21 Aug 2010, 04:59 pm »
Okay blabbermouth  :lol:, where are the pics you promised? Eager diy'ers wanna lookie :o...

Anand.

Sorry, we had a good little storm last night and my internet service was knocked out for some time.  I'll post in just a few.

Russellc

Russellc

« Reply #16 on: 21 Aug 2010, 05:01 pm »
OK, I give up, how do you "manage attachments" and post pics here?

Russellc

Russellc

« Reply #17 on: 21 Aug 2010, 05:23 pm »
OK I made a little gallery with a few shots in it.  I have pics going from bare boards and pieces of aluminum all the way to finished product.  Ditto the B-1!

Russellc

wushuliu

« Reply #18 on: 22 Aug 2010, 02:06 am »
OK I made a little gallery with a few shots in it.  I have pics going from bare boards and pieces of aluminum all the way to finished product.  Ditto the B-1!

Russellc

She's puuurty. A real looker.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #19 on: 22 Aug 2010, 06:17 am »
OK, I give up, how do you "manage attachments" and post pics here?

Here you go.....nice job.... :beer:

DIY Pass F-5 by Russellc

Here's the insides..

Before face plate is attached...

Up and running...

Member of the family....