Poll

Do you prefer a Solid State Sound or Tube Sound when listening to music??

I like the Tube Sound
24 (36.4%)
I like the Solid State Sound
7 (10.6%)
I like a Mixture of both
35 (53%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Voting closed: 3 Sep 2010, 10:45 pm

Tube Sound or Solid State- That is the question??

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Tube Sound or Solid State- That is the question??
« on: 19 Aug 2010, 10:45 pm »
I just wanted to get some general idea of preference on AC. When listening to music do you prefer one type of sound to another?

turkey

Re: Tube Sound or Solid State- That is the question??
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2010, 01:27 pm »
I like a neutral sound that isn't one or the other. However, I've found that in general SS comes closer to being neutral and uncolored than most tube gear does.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2010, 01:31 pm »
No preference.  A good amp is a good amp.  I've owned a number of tube and SS amps over the years.  Both can be anything from very good to mediocre. 

fsimms

« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2010, 01:50 pm »
Good solid state can be very good but good tubes can be incredible.

Bob

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2010, 01:59 pm »
I have found a mixture of both to be just right, at least this year that is, I'll be interested in hearing some of the new hybrid integrated amps. I think within the next year or so we'll start to see a lot more hybrids as people are finding tube buffers enjoyable to listen to...the mix of old and new technology has a certain appeal that I think will really come into its own very shortly.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 20 Aug 2010, 02:05 pm »
Solid state is the safer, easier choice as damping factor for tight/controlled bass can be a major problem with tubes, there's no tubes to fade/change sound with time, no corcerns about matching sets of tubes or biasing of tubes, no tubes to burn or burn out, and there's no worries about tube rolling or how tubes in one piece sound in combination with different tubes in other pieces (source, pre-amp, amp).

But if you can get all the stars in alignment, tubes provide a more solid image, magical tone, and "compliment" speaker colorations/shortcomings in ways that would be very hard for solid state to match.

kingdeezie

« Reply #6 on: 20 Aug 2010, 02:11 pm »
I was looking for a tube amplifier recently because I wanted to change my sound...

I found a really good deal on one of my dream SS amplifiers though, so I ordered that instead. Hopefully it wasn't a mistake, we shall see.

I do think that some of the more expensive tube amplifiers are the way to go, but I didn't find anything in the 4K range that had the power I wanted with the dynamics and control of the bass that I wanted.

mchuckp

« Reply #7 on: 20 Aug 2010, 02:19 pm »
Getting a tube in my preamp last year was the best decision I made in a long time.  It changed my sound for the better tremendously.  Since then I have also bought a tube amp.  My only SS is my source.  That being said, I did some comparos with my tube pre/SS amp against my tube pre/tube amp (all AVA).  In the end, I would have been happy to live with either combo.  Each had a different presentation but each enjoyable.  In the end though, I am a tube guy.  I confirmed this at this years AK Fest.  After listening to a multitude of set ups over two days there was one common denominator in my favorite rooms.  Each had tubes somewhere in the chain.  Pure SS set ups just didn't jive with me.

Moving forward from my own preferences, I will always have a tube somewhere in my chain.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #8 on: 20 Aug 2010, 02:26 pm »
I've had various iterations and always return to the same combination - tube preamp and SS amp.  Guts, bass control and extension, extended highs, imaging, etc.  Now, if you have very efficient speakers and can go with a small, single ended tube amp, that can be magical but still has it's limitations.  All in what you want and what you listen to.

Or, if you can afford a very good, big tube amp (and the exorbitant cost of retubing it), then it's something to consider.  It's the middle of the road, mid power, push pull, tube amps that just don't present good tradeoffs for me.  IMO, I can get the tube magic in my preamp and keep the imaging and sweet tonal balance with a good, bipolar, heavily Class A biased amp.  Also much easier and cheaper to play with the character of the system when you only have to roll 2 or 4 small signal tubes.

The one exception is my Acoustats where the direct drive amps are tube. 

Just my 2 cents.

Bryan

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #9 on: 20 Aug 2010, 02:28 pm »
Both.

BobRex

« Reply #10 on: 20 Aug 2010, 02:38 pm »
Both.  Solid state to control woofers (although you have to be careful here, much of what passes for "tight bass" is actually lean and stripped of bloom.  And yes, that bloom can be heard live.), and tube for the rest. 

But I'm using a SET amp, and by utilizing SS on the bass I mitigate the biggest problems with SET amps.

The front end is almost all tube, and almost all analog BTW.

ctviggen

« Reply #11 on: 20 Aug 2010, 02:40 pm »
This is what I am moving toward:  bass = solid state; mids/highs = tube. 

nunhgrader

« Reply #12 on: 20 Aug 2010, 02:42 pm »
I love tubes - love to listen to them, watch them - smell them cooling down (I know - what a weirdo) - my wife likes the sound of the tubes cooling down. Most of all - I love their honesty to the music - voices and instruments seem to be more real with tubes. I love solid state for the no nonsense operation - the bass authority and I like some music with the added authority solid state gives the music signal.

Headphone listening = tubes.

Rocking out, most classival, and electronica - combination tubes/ single efficient driver speakers with solid state and multi-driver speakers.

Jazz - tubes / single efficient driver.

I like it all :D

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 20 Aug 2010, 03:03 pm »
I recently got a set of new/old speakers almost identical to what I was currently using (same exact woofer in fact) but the high end was
a bit harsh, bright so after having to use tone controls for the first time to try and tame the issues, I simply rolled a new tube into my tube DAC/Preamp...wholla!!! Problem solved- total cost $10 tube and five minutes of my time, the advantage of manipulating the sound and tailoring it to whatever sound you enjoy is huge...I love my SS amp for all it offers and I love my Tube DAC/Pre for what it can change or modify in some way to make my music listening experience more enjoyable and FUN!! I mean its Fun to crack open a component and swap tubes and get a new sound almost instantly. No waiting for UPS or Fedex or order fullfillment, its quick, economic and immediate... :thumb:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #14 on: 20 Aug 2010, 03:09 pm »
Good solid state can be very good but good tubes can be incredible.
+1  :thumb:

Quote from: ctviggen
This is what I am moving toward:  bass = solid state; mids/highs = tube.
Thinking about that myself at some point...but for now I am truly happy listening to SS preamp (where most of the amplification is done - especially for phono) and ballsy, voltage regulated tube amps hooked up to a benignly load for speakers.

Quiet, taut, solid preamplification and that tube elan for the finish that papers over the SS nasties (glare of some kind..however teensy) that seem endemic with the breed.

John

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
« Reply #15 on: 20 Aug 2010, 04:54 pm »
These days I go for a SS single-ended low powered amp operating in class A with Mosfets to get that "tube" sound. Coupled with a glorious tube pre-amp, the result is sublime.

simoon

« Reply #16 on: 20 Aug 2010, 06:37 pm »
The very best tube amps made are not a compromise between neutrality and 'tube sound' (warm coloration).

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #17 on: 20 Aug 2010, 07:52 pm »
I spent nearly 10 years trying to find a SS amp I could live with unconditionally--and it's a nice place to visit sometimes--but tubes always get me closer to the music, FWIW. I was still using a tube pre with my favorite SS amp before I crossed over to the glowing glass completely.

I don't think we can leave the speaker interaction out of the equation either. I've heard SS amps sound wonderful, but it was usually at someone else's house, and tubes were almost always lurking conspicuously somewhere else in the chain. :green:

So I would guess that the answer to the question might be a very careful combination of both--but the quick answer for me is toobs. 8)   

silver_strings

« Reply #18 on: 22 Aug 2010, 09:54 am »
I'm a fan of the tube sound it gives realism to the music that SS even high end ones cant really replicate, A low wattage tube amp paired with efficient speakers is a winning combination

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #19 on: 22 Aug 2010, 01:42 pm »
I have come across a really good combination of tubes and ss in my system:

Main amp (tubes):  Atma-Sphere MA-1's covers from 120Hz up
Sub amp (ss):  Built into the Vandersteen 5A's
Preamp (ss):  Parasound JC-2
Source (tubes):  Modwright modified Transporter

While the JC-2 is as good as the reviews say, I would still love to get an Atma-Sphere tubed preamp into my system...maybe one day.

George