How about a class D amp shoot out?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
How about a class D amp shoot out?
« on: 19 Aug 2010, 09:35 pm »
Has anyone ever done this (formally or informally)?

We have a number of sources for class D right here at AC.  Wouldn't it be great to compare?

mfsoa

Re: How about a class D amp shoot out?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2010, 09:45 pm »
It sure would.
The only time I've directly compared was a Cherry JR vs one of the ClassD amp kits.

Any idea where this could take place?

-Mike

simoon

« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2010, 10:46 pm »

The only time I've directly compared was a Cherry JR vs one of the ClassD amp kits.

So don't leave us hanging...

What was your conclusion?

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2010, 12:26 am »
Has anyone ever done this (formally or informally)?
We have a number of sources for class D right here at AC.  Wouldn't it be great to compare?

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76400.360
Check out some of the posts on this page for a few comparisons.  Hope it helps.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2010, 12:38 am »
I've had Rowland 201's, Wyreds, Sunfire, and Cherry Jr. 

Cherry Jr. first, closely followed by Wyreds.  How's that? :oops:

Aom-Uom

« Reply #5 on: 20 Aug 2010, 01:42 am »
Hi,
it all depends on expectations, priorities, needs and so on. I wouldn´t formally call the class D approach high-fidelity anyway (not informally either, for that matter).

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #6 on: 20 Aug 2010, 01:44 am »
I heard my ClassD vs. mfsoa's Cherry and the Cherry had better bass for sure
but I think for $200.00 plus the ClassD is great...............Bill

mfsoa

« Reply #7 on: 20 Aug 2010, 02:03 am »
Simoon,
As Bill said above, the Cherry was better but we used my VAC preamp w/ balanced outs vs. A Response Audio preamp (also a fine pre I am sure) into the kit.

We also got hear to a Cherry Plus vs. a Spectron (don't know the version # or degree of upgrades) on Gallo's new 3.5s. The Cherry had a more upfront presentation while Spectron was much slower to respond and was smoothed over which some will certainly prefer.
-Mike

denjo

« Reply #8 on: 20 Aug 2010, 02:09 am »
I know Tripath are not strictly class D but are they included?

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #9 on: 20 Aug 2010, 04:40 am »
Unless each amp is plugged into the same upstream gear, any comparison would not be accurate.  However, I'm not doubting that these subjective impressions are insightful.  So many positive things have been written about the Cherry amps, the Wyred amps and the Class D Audio amps, I'm convinced of their abilities and value.  However, Class D Audio does it for much less $$$, and that fact has not been disputed by anything I've read.  :D

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #10 on: 20 Aug 2010, 12:48 pm »
Thanks roymail for the link.  I've not kept up with that thread due to it's length and DIY character.  I barely know enough about electronics to be dangerous, but some vendors (and audiophiles) seem to really stress having a large/clean power supply for everything digital.  So the beefier, heavier amps (like Channel Island Audio or H2O) are currently what's holding my interest.

Don't know what event or local group could pull off a comparison, but I think it'd be of value.

mfsoa

« Reply #11 on: 20 Aug 2010, 01:00 pm »
Roy makes a good point - It's tough (impossible?) to compare amps with different types of inputs. I know some use RCA and some XLR so right away there goes your comparison!

Agree that the amps w/ the big ol' transformers seem to be the favorites. How many times have I read that "the megawatt Bel Cantos just couldn't drive speaker X like I thought they should"

Bemopti123

« Reply #12 on: 20 Aug 2010, 02:51 pm »

Agree that the amps w/ the big ol' transformers seem to be the favorites. How many times have I read that "the megawatt Bel Cantos just couldn't drive speaker X like I thought they should"

Agreed.  This is what I think they call digital hollow watts. 

I also agree with JLM, the H2O amps, as well as the Spectrons are into large, traditional PS, which are unsurpassed in current delivery.  No competition from those puny switching PS crowd.