Sneak Peak!!!!!! VMPS Cabinets by MLS

mlschifter

• http://www.av123.com
Re: Finish coat?
« Reply #20 on: 25 Feb 2004, 02:20 pm »
Quote from: brj
I realize that the pictures represent "almost" finished cabinets, but it appears that all of the finishes are high gloss.  Any chance that a satin finish will be available?

(I've seen enough fake plastic wood by now that high gloss finishes are ruined for me... even if I know that a quality wood or laminate is underneath.)

Thanks!

This WAS my exact point... you nailed it... These had not been rubbed out etc.  :)

The finish will be a high luster "satin" finish (except for Piano Black)... fine furniture grade, etc.

All the best...

mls

Horsehead

« Reply #21 on: 25 Feb 2004, 02:40 pm »
Truly beautiful work Mark- I can't wait to see some of the other finishes.
Do you have any maple selections on the table- birdseye, curly, etc?

I have a couple of concerns and suggestions.

I think with the cabinets looking as good as they do, I'm afraid some of the focus may go to the DIY look of the drivers.  I would like to see the "drywall" screws holding the woofers in, replaced with a more "finished" screw head, or perhaps a trim ring could be inserted in the basket flange to cover the screws.

Perhaps Mark could also make the wooden phase plugs in a semi gloss/gloss black finish that gets away from the "splintered" look of the phase plug now.  I think nicely finished phase plugs would look really cool in the center of the woofer cone.

I think the silver colored screws holding in the Neopanels should be replaced by some black screws with a "finished" screw head.  If possible, create some type of "hood" or coverplate that would cover the Neopanel termination screws- I think it is going to look kind of tacky to have these incredibly finished speakers only to be looking at drywall screws, tacky phase plugs, and 8 nuts/bolts per speaker.

Make the speaker available without grill cover holes as an option, so customers who never use grills do not have to look at the holes in the gorgeous cabinetry.

I realize what I said has nothing to do with improving sound quality, but I think in the end it would take away ANY criticism of the looks of VMPS speakers.  Not trying to nitpick here, but just offering some suggestions for VMPS speakers to compete with any speaker, regardless of price, in the fit and finish category.

Keep up the great work.

After seeing these pictures, it is almost painful to look at the finish of my first pair of RM40s in high gloss black. :cry:

KJ

« Reply #22 on: 25 Feb 2004, 02:43 pm »
Will all the cabinets with a darker finish have the "grainy" look to them?  I guess I'm old fashioned and prefer less contrasting grain patterns.  The lighter color (looks like a natural maple) woud be the exception it seems.  Don't get me wrong, the finish looks outstanding.  I guess I'll wait to hear if these cabs will be options or the new standard.

-KJ

JoshK

« Reply #23 on: 25 Feb 2004, 03:07 pm »
This is a fantastic move forward guys!  Congrads.

John Casler

« Reply #24 on: 25 Feb 2004, 03:49 pm »
Quote from: KJ
Will all the cabinets with a darker finish have the "grainy" look to them?  I guess I'm old fashioned and prefer less contrasting grain patterns.  The lighter color (looks like a natural maple) woud be the exception it seems.  Don't get me wrong, the finish looks outstanding.  I guess I'll wait to hear if these cabs will be options or the new standard.

-KJ

Hi KJ

At this time we are looking at:

Standard finishes:

Walnut (for a dark finish)
Light Figured Birch (for a light finish)

Premium finishes:

Piano Black
Rosewood
White Shadow Maple
African Ebony

These are not "set in stone", in fact, we haven't even seen them in person.

Since Mark has additional finishes available there may be additions or subtractions.

KJ

« Reply #25 on: 25 Feb 2004, 03:56 pm »
Thanks John.  I'm hoping cherry will still be an option, but we'll wait and see.   :D

-KJ

errivera

« Reply #26 on: 25 Feb 2004, 04:11 pm »
The cabinets look beautiful! They now have the look of a fine piece of furniture. Great work.

I do agree about the look of the screwheads and basket surrounds. I had mentioned before that T-nuts should be used in these. At least maybe offered as an upgrade. Also, consideration to other methods of holding the grill in place should be considered. The cabinets are just too beautiful looking to spoil with holes and cheap looking hardware.

I hope to be purchasing a pair in the near future. Let's see what the tax man says.

ctviggen

« Reply #27 on: 25 Feb 2004, 06:26 pm »
How close are these to being in a final product?  To put this another way, if I lay down the credit card today and want a pair of RM40s and an RM30C with these cabinets, when would I receive my speakers?  Christmas is my guess, as I'm sure that there's a lot to happen between now and receiving real product.  (Which means that I'd just buy the old cabinets.)

John B

« Reply #28 on: 25 Feb 2004, 07:18 pm »
Very nice!  Any chance we'll see something like these for the 626R monitors in the not too distant future?

John Casler

« Reply #29 on: 25 Feb 2004, 07:23 pm »
Quote from: ctviggen
How close are these to being in a final product?  To put this another way, if I lay down the credit card today and want a pair of RM40s and an RM30C with these cabinets, when would I receive my speakers?  Christmas is my guess, as I'm sure that there's a lot to happen between now and receiving real product.  (Which means that I'd just buy the old cabinets.)

As long as everything goes as planned, we should be able to ship these around April 15 or so.

Don't hold me to this, but I think we still have the following, on the way:

Piano Black 2 pair RM40/2 pair 626R/1 LRC
Rosewood: 2 pair RM40/ 1 pair 626R/ 2 LRC
African Ebony: 0 pair RM40/1 pair 626R/1 LRC

The RM30 is still made locally and will not be available in MLS cabinets.
(but Brian has told me that the recent RM30s that "just" arrived are the "best" cabinets he has worked with todate)

All the above are in "premium finishes" and cut for the FST.

Check with Brian, myself, or your dealer, if you have any questions.

TheeeChosenOne

« Reply #30 on: 25 Feb 2004, 07:33 pm »
Quote from: errivera
Also, consideration to other methods of holding the grill in place should be considered. The cabinets are just too beautiful looking to spoil with holes and cheap looking hardware.

^^
Maybe Magnets to hold the grille?  

How 'bout metal grille option ala Sonus Faber, Reimer, etc?  That would lend to a nice art deco look with the ribbons staring from behind the wire mesh.

Just a thought...

Btw, GREAT cabs MLS!  Count me in as a future buyer/upgrader!  :)

KJ

« Reply #31 on: 25 Feb 2004, 08:25 pm »
John - any chance of posting pics of the RM30 cabinets Brian just received?  Might be a nice complement to the MLS cabinet pics.

-KJ

John Casler

« Reply #32 on: 25 Feb 2004, 09:07 pm »
Quote from: KJ
John - any chance of posting pics of the RM30 cabinets Brian just received?  Might be a nice complement to the MLS cabinet pics.

-KJ

We need to pitch in and get Big B a digital camera :lol:

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
rm
« Reply #33 on: 25 Feb 2004, 09:14 pm »
Got the digital camera, now what do I do.

The RM 30 cabinets from Bud Bailey of VIP Wood in Apple Valley, CA are gorgeous, particularly the cherry.  Bud appears to have been hanging out at Mark's shop...

mlschifter

• http://www.av123.com
Good Thoughts...
« Reply #34 on: 25 Feb 2004, 11:35 pm »
Thanks for your posts here one and all...

On the mechnical touches and finishes I would be happy to pitch in and help... if asked... We have lots of fine hardware choices here, and in Taiwan...

The White Shadow Maple is an extraordinary finish... just flat out beautiful... While I'm a fan of the highly figured wood species... I realize clearly that many are not... and we are prepared for this...

Thanks again one and all for your wonderful comments and suggestions...

... and I also here that the VIP cabinets are wonderful...  :)

On a very personal note... yesterday was a wonderful day for my family... My youngest daughter gave birth to her 3rd child... William Bradley Rogers was delivered by C Section after a VERY difficult birthing process... Mother and Baby are now fine... Perhaps the longest 12 hours of my life... and a VERY emotional time for me being over here... My wife insisted I stay and get the new factory cranked up... Whew... what can I say... thanks for listening... This is our 6th Grandchild now...  :D

All the best...

mls

JoshK

« Reply #35 on: 25 Feb 2004, 11:47 pm »
Congratulations Marks!

John Casler

« Reply #36 on: 26 Feb 2004, 12:28 am »
And to think you were also parenting the new VMPS/MLS venture at the same time.

I'll let everyone else draw the parallels, and my best wishes to you and the new addition.

And when and if, you get a chance, let me (us) see the White Shadow Maple, and the Light Figured Birch.

TLS

« Reply #37 on: 26 Feb 2004, 12:49 am »
Brian,

What about the RM2 and RM1a?  Who's gonna do those cabs.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
rm2
« Reply #38 on: 26 Feb 2004, 01:51 am »
Both the RM1a and RM 2 are from Bud Bailey.

Marbles

« Reply #39 on: 26 Feb 2004, 01:54 am »
How's the piano black on those RM30's?