SGU - Star Gate Universe

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
SGU - Star Gate Universe
« on: 18 Aug 2010, 06:55 am »
It's worth your time.  It's rare that a sequel, let alone a sequel to a sequel to a sequel is any good at all, but IMO the SGU series is first rate, and far better than anything that preceded it.  Just like with the last Battlestar Galactica, there's the inherent conflict between military and civilian rule in a high stress environment.  The first few eps are kinda weak, but it really gains steam in the second half of the season.

django11

• Canuckistani
Re: SGU - Star Gate Universe
« Reply #1 on: 18 Aug 2010, 11:29 am »
It's worth your time.  It's rare that a sequel, let alone a sequel to a sequel to a sequel is any good at all, but IMO the SGU series is first rate, and far better than anything that preceded it.  Just like with the last Battlestar Galactica, there's the inherent conflict between military and civilian rule in a high stress environment.  The first few eps are kinda weak, but it really gains steam in the second half of the season.

Exactly what leaves me cold, the incessant bickering between colonel whoever and the ego driven scientist.  In such a large universe writers with more imagination should be able to find more interesting things for me to watch.  BG was  like a semi soap opera in space.  Shoot some aliens already!  IMO

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #2 on: 18 Aug 2010, 08:59 pm »
I've been watching the episodes in chunks at a time on netflix streaming.

My first reaction was that this series was a blatant rip off of Battlestar Galactica. Just too many similarities between the story lines and the cinematography; but no where near as well done as BG. I'm giving the show a chance though to see how it develops.

In terms of acting, I find it to be completely hit or miss, which can make the show feel disjointed. The performances can be ridiculously over dramatized at times; like when the characters are weeping and clutching themselves(which happens way too much) and it's all set to some trendy Grey's Anatomy soundtrack. We get it, you're lonely and stuck in space, but it's getting stale.

I appreciate that they are trying to take the series in a completely different direction and it does have its bright spots, but I agree with django, the show needs more action.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2010, 05:31 am »
God, as long as McGuyver isn't in this one it's a step in the right direction! :lol:  As far as BSG, it started out awesome but totally jumped the shark right were Baltar put his head down on his desk after winning the election.  When his popped back up, SURPRISE!  The series now completely sucks!  It went from kick-ass Sci-Fi to All My Children in space. :duh:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2010, 12:17 am »
The Season Premiere of Stargate Universe starts tonite at 9pm est on SyFy Ch.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

melbguy_357

« Reply #5 on: 2 Nov 2010, 01:21 pm »
I'm enjoying it too. Has just the right balance of oomph. It's not exactly family viewing now, quite a different feel to its predecessors. Great characters, decent script, they aren't in a rush to go anywhere either, so it should be a keeper for a while. I wish it had a touch of meta-physics or a slightly deeper undercurrent, but hey, it is Stargate after all...

As for BSG, probably the greatest sci-fi series ever, despite some serious flaws. I don't think I ever looked more forward to a weekly series than that one. Just when you thought it was faltering, they always managed to pump out the magic

mclsound

« Reply #6 on: 5 Feb 2011, 02:21 am »
Hey,anyone know wheather there is new episodes?My PVR is recording only repeats!!!!!
thanks

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #7 on: 5 Feb 2011, 02:41 am »
Hey,anyone know wheather there is new episodes?My PVR is recording only repeats!!!!!
thanks

Google is your friend. :thumb:  StarGate Universe has been cancelled after 2 seasons by Sci-Fi. The remaining 10 episodes from season 2 will be shown this spring,,, so says the Google link.

Cheers,
Robin
« Last Edit: 5 Feb 2011, 07:06 am by satfrat »

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #8 on: 5 Feb 2011, 02:50 am »
God, as long as McGuyver isn't in this one it's a step in the right direction! :lol:  As far as BSG, it started out awesome but totally jumped the shark right were Baltar put his head down on his desk after winning the election.  When his popped back up, SURPRISE!  The series now completely sucks!  It went from kick-ass Sci-Fi to All My Children in space. :duh:

I hated McGuyver but I loved him as Colonel Jack O'Neill and the show just wasn't the same without him.
We all look at things differently I guess   :dunno:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #9 on: 5 Feb 2011, 04:43 am »
I love Star gate Universe. I bought the first season.
I think the original Star Gate, was a little too simplistic but Ok for an episodic action adventure TV fodder. Atlantis was better, and had a longer more reasonable plot line (in general)
Star gate Universe is a wonderful show. It has a great combination of action and intrigue. I would say women did not have much interest in Star Gate the original action adventure  stuff. SG Atlantis was a bit better, and Universe was a great show! i am really sad the action aventure crown frowns on it. And even worse is that the morons at SiFi channel went with wrestling??? and cancelled a program that could have become a true classic if they would have given it time for word of mouth to spread among women, and non-action/adventure guys.
I never knew about it until i saw a single rerun episode on over the air TV, and was entranced, and had to buy the first season. And Universe has WAY more going for it than that chunk of c*p Bat Galactica.!!
Feel free to insult  my opinion on this.....  :peek:

mclsound

« Reply #10 on: 22 Apr 2011, 08:43 am »
Shit
I did not know there were NEW episodes out.Yhey look great

mclsound

« Reply #11 on: 7 May 2011, 11:34 am »
The last 4 shows aren't bad

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #12 on: 7 May 2011, 11:53 am »
I've been watching the episodes in chunks at a time on netflix streaming.

Same here.
My first encounter was Star Gate Atlantis. I joined my wife watching it about half way through season two and went to the end. I prefer the darker aspects of SGU over Atlantis although it does slow down a bit too much at times. And Col. Young should've been fired for incompetence. Maybe he would have been if a decent replacement were available.

thethingx

« Reply #13 on: 10 Jun 2011, 07:45 pm »
It sucks that the show's been canceled :(

wilsynet

« Reply #14 on: 13 Jun 2011, 08:33 am »
Yup, I liked the show too.  A more grown up Stargate series.  Really liked it ... and I liked Firefly and Kings too.  Somehow, I think me and popular America aren't quite in alignment.

thethingx

« Reply #15 on: 14 Jun 2011, 03:18 am »
There was supposed to be a movie to end the show, but apparently they axed that too  :duh:

Matty_J

• Aperion Audio
    • Aperion Audio
« Reply #16 on: 16 Jun 2011, 12:01 am »
There are too many good shows getting axed these last couple of years.  Why is everyone into lawyers and doctors?  I was bored with them years ago.   :scratch: